Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 156 total)
  • If you dented someones car would you own up?
  • captainsasquatch
    Free Member

You dismally fail to address my comments but that’s typical of keyboard warriors.

I don’t have to address your comments. If someone parks too close to my car and I ding theirs, it’s their problem.
    If someone has an problem with damage to property that can easily be replaced, and thinks this is a problem and is happy to shout down someone with a different view, when there are people in need.
    Well, if this makes me a clown, I’m happy to be a clown.
    As for Essel, maybe the Owen Pugh driver got confused between nearside and offside mirror. Must’ve be your son, eh?

johnw1984
    Free Member

I slipped on some ice right next to my car and put a big scratch in my mates bonnet with my key! Most expensive slip I’ve ever had!

Went straight back in and told him, would have been embarrassed not to!

Every car I’ve had, someone has dinged it and not owned up. My last car had clearly been hit on the corner of the bumper by a red car. Don’t know how as it was bright yellow!

newrobdob
    Free Member

@captainsasquatch You damage my work lease car and just walk away you better hope I don’t see you. I have to pay for any excessive damage to my work lease car AND any insurance claim/damage has to be declared to my private car insurance too, so ups the price of that as well.

I cannot abide with the selfish ignorant attitude of people like you, you need to get a grip on yourself and think about other people instead of yourself.

My wife and I saved for ages to buy our first car and someone we knew opened their door into it and dented it. I pointed out what they had done and said we’d only just got it (it was a few years old but in mint condition) and they just walked away after saying “well it isn’t new is it?” (They had a newer car). They were actually quite pleasant normally but this just astonished me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Sasquatch today..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MXWKML]Dredger

Predicatble.

Is that the best you can come up with?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

We hired a van when we moved house 5 years ago and I managed to knock the wing mirror off a parked car . Nobody saw it happen but I knocked on the door of the house where the car was parked and told the lady there what had happened . She told her husband when he got home and in the mean time I found out that they can cost a few hundred to replace and nearly shat myself . A couple of days later he phoned , told me that the garage had quoted him a silly amount but he managed to get one from a scrap yard and fitted it himself for £80 . There’s a story to warm the cockles of your heart . 😀

newrobdob
    Free Member

“I don’t have to address your comments. If someone parks too close to my car and I ding theirs, it’s their problem.”

Are you really serious about that? Really? REALLY??

You damage a stationary object because you don’t give a crap about anyone else’s stuff and it’s THEIR fault?

I really hope this is a troll.

matt_outandabout

Out washing our car one day, Mrs_oab turned her back for a few seconds. Eldest_oab who was 2 at the time had drawn a lovely picture on next doors Jaguar door.
    Chuff me that respray cost. 😕

I couldn’t damage someone’s car and walk away. I have to own up.
    Sadly, few people give any thought to others belongings or envirinment these days.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

To be fair, despite his right to his own opinion, captainS attitude was pretty anti social, and his follow up just insulting. He might not care materially or personally depsite his appearant turn of mindset where a different definition of “unfortunate” is the case.

Kryton57, I differentiate between human damage which is real and materailistic damage which is much less important.
    My car has been damaged by others, and? No one got hurt, so no problem.
    End.
    As for forum bullying. Bring it on ladies.

You damage a stationary object because you don’t give a crap about anyone else’s stuff and it’s THEIR fault?

I really hope this is a troll.
    That would probably be a troll, fortunately it’s not what I said. 😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Must’ve be your son, eh?

No, my sons are called Chris & Mark, my mates son, who drives machines for Own Pugh, is called Joe.
    HTH.

Kryton57

“I don’t have to address your comments. If someone parks too close to my car and I ding theirs, it’s their problem.”

Define too close in a public car park with clearly defined parking bays. Whose fault is it now?

frankconway

@essel & project: debate & focussed discussion – fine, no problem with that.

I believe that if a contributor posts a comment they become ‘fair game’ so the lesson here, if there is one, could be…..think before you post unless you are deiberately trolling and/or being ‘humorous’.

I will continue taking care of my car and supporting the homeless; toodle pip!!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Define too close in a public car park with clearly defined parking bays. Whose fault is it now?

The one who’s crossed the white line. Simples for simples.

dannyh
    Free Member

Yes, obviously I would. And I would expect someone else to do the same if they dented my car.

Years ago one of my mates (ultra-hard-working business owner) went out to the car park after we’d finished a cricket match to find a note under his wiper owning up to denting his car. It had been written by one of the old blokes who played at the bowls club next door and the ink had run because he was an old pensioner who’d dented a new Mercedes and he’d been crying as he wrote it as he was so upset about it.

My mate rang him up, told him not to worry as he wouldn’t go through the insurance and would just pay for it himself and invited the bowls club gents over to our clubhouse for a beer.

Sometimes a bit of honesty makes the world a better place.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I will continue taking care of my car and supporting the homeless; toodle pip!!

Me too as I work in association with St Giles trust & Shelter as a prison officer. 🙂

Ben_H

I’m embarrassed to say that I rolled our then-new van into a neighbour’s car, within 15 minutes of getting it home for the first time!

Sadly for me, it wasn’t a random battered old cronk – but a friendly neighbour’s also new Audi. 🙁

It cost me a pretty penny and I probably could have scarpered, but doing the right thing was the only thing I could have done. Although I’m certain said neighbour would have done the same, I’m not so sure about others – based on other recent experiences.

matt_outandabout

I forgot my finest own up.
    I reversed into a battered old volvo outside a pub in Twynholm.
    Went back into the bar, at closing time, and called out for who owned the old volvo…
    Cue the *whole* pub emptying into the street, and a certain F1 driver with an impressive jawline giving me driving advice….. 😆

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s quite sad how people get so wound up about cars. Of all the injustices in the world, nothing seems to rile people quite like damage to their “pride and joy”.

I think people need to gain some perspective; it’s a metal box on wheels; they cause thousands of deaths per year and untold damage to the environment.

Someone mentioned jealousy earlier in the thread….Jealous?! Whenever I see an exspensive car, I give myself a pat on the back and congratulate myself on the fact I’m not such a daft **** to spend thousands of pounds on such a machine.

If you want to keep your car damage free, then leave it in your garage. Or park it across two parking spaces. Or invest your time and emotions in something worthwhile, then you’re less likely to care that your car’s been damaged.

bruk

Have done and the guy was great. Was an old and already dented car and he said don’t worry.

Caught an old guy reversing into someone else’s car and then driving off. Took his number plate and left a note for the owner. Police got involved and the old guy owned up to it.

frankconway

Clear to me that ‘captainsasquatch’ has limited support on this forum so a suggestion to it/him/her – go toss it off into a pot noodle and……enjoy!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Clear to me that ‘captainsasquatch’ has limited support on this forum so a suggestion to it/him/her – go toss it off into a pot noodle and……enjoy!

Your classy. Who are you?

tenfoot

It’s quite sad how people get so wound up about cars. Of all the injustices in the world, nothing seems to rile people

It’s the general lack of respect for other people that annoys me. Be that person or property, it is sadly lacking in today’s society.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Your classy. Who are you?

frankconway. Can’t you read?

It’s the general lack of respect for other people that annoys me. Be that person or property, it is sadly lacking in today’s society.

This precisely.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

frankconway. Can’t you read?

Certainly can, I know the difference between nearside and outside too. 😆 😆
    And essel, do me a favour, stop following me as it’s getting a bit creepy.

olly2097
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member
    It’s quite sad how people get so wound up about cars. Of all the injustices in the world, nothing seems to rile people quite like damage to their “pride and joy”.
    I think people need to gain some perspective; it’s a metal box on wheels; they cause thousands of deaths per year and untold damage to the environment.
    Someone mentioned jealousy earlier in the thread….Jealous?! Whenever I see an exspensive car, I give myself a pat on the back and congratulate myself on the fact I’m not such a daft **** to spend thousands of pounds on such a machine.
    If you want to keep your car damage free, then leave it in your garage. Or park it across two parking spaces. Or invest your time and emotions in something worthwhile, then you’re less likely to care that your car’s been damaged

It isn’t the be all and end all.

But then imagine you’d saved hard to buy a bike and your wife told you that it needed to last ten years before you can spend another 3-4k on one. You maintain it, clean it, replace bits to keep it in good working order, it needs to last. But then you lock it up outside llandegla cafe and go in for a bacon butty. Come out and someone has knocked it over and the saddle is split, the fork lower scuffed and the fork stanchion is now scratched. You get home and realise ten years have passed and your 2006 bike can now be upgraded. You try to sell it on eBay and pinkie to fund your new stead but are getting stupidly low offers becuase of the damage which some may perceive to be minor cosmetics… but it has a knock on effect on your next purchase….

Same goes for cars with some people. My mondeo and fiesta need to last another three years. The fiesta especially looks like crap from people knocking into it at work. When I come to buy a newer car the condition of the current ones matter in terms of deposit in regards to trade in or private sale value. A bit of deal for those of us who don’t have company cars or big disposable income.

But yes I dont lose sleep over it, But the least people could do is say sorry and mean it for minor dings or leave insurance details when they crack your front bumper, eat your alloy wheel and leave a melon size dent in your front wing in one fell swoop. 😀

tjagain

Of course I would and indeed I have. The person whos car I dented didn’t chase it up tho for which I was grateful

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

And essel, do me a favour, stop following me as it’s getting a bit creepy.

Stop dredging then, I have a good memory.

frankconway

@captainsasquatch:why do you not make your real name visible|?
    To correct your error…….’Your classy’ should be ‘you’re classy’; yes, I know I am.

Who am I? My name is in my profile; What does that matter to you? I can, and will, identify anyone who follows/trolls.

I have corrected you with regard to facts on matters that are fundamentally important to me.

I have more important things to do so I’ll leave you to continue tossing off into your warm pot noodle – until you have nothing more to give.

Happy to discuss/debate any subject but, please, before you hit the ‘send’ button check your facts and be confident in what you assert.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It isn’t the be all and end all.

But then imagine you’d saved hard to buy a bike and your wife told you that it needed to last ten years before you can spend another 3-4k on one. You maintain it, clean it, replace bits to keep it in good working order, it needs to last. But then you lock it up outside llandegla cafe and go in for a bacon butty. Come out and someone has knocked it over and the saddle is split, the fork lower scuffed and the fork stanchion is now scratched. You get home and realise ten years have passed and your 2006 bike can now be upgraded. You try to sell it on eBay and pinkie to fund your new stead but are getting stupidly low offers becuase of the damage which some may perceive to be minor cosmetics… but it has a knock on effect on your next purchase….

Same goes for cars with some people. My mondeo and fiesta need to last another three years. The fiesta especially looks like crap from people knocking into it at work. When I come to buy a newer car the condition of the current ones matter in terms of deposit in regards to trade in or private sale value. A bit of deal for those of us who don’t have company cars or big disposable income.

But yes I dont lose sleep over it, But the least people could do is say sorry and mean it for minor dings or leave insurance details when they crack your front bumper, eat your alloy wheel and leave a melon size dent in your front wing in one fell swoop.

I agree with this.

TBF Ive had people bump my car on more than one occasion when I’ve been in the car. The people initially look really flustered, and then you tell them not to worry about it; you can feel their sense of relief. It’s worth not caring about your car just for that.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Happy to discuss/debate any subject but, please, before you hit the ‘send’ button check your facts and be confident in what you assert.

Which makes this even more funnier.

To correct your error…….’Your classy’ should be ‘you’re classy’; yes, I know I am.

Fell into that one, didn’t you? 😆
    I am also lost on which facts I need to check as all I’ve entered is my opinion apart from most cars being leased.If that’s all that’s boiling your piss, get help. That’s hardly an excuse for your tirade unless a bit too much sauce has been consumed.
    I’d give it a rest if I were you. 😉

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Yes as that’s what insurance is for and accidents happen.

johnners
    Free Member

I’m more concerned about people needing foodbanks or having to sleepon the streets. Now who’s the arse?

I don’t know how you can be troubled by such trivial concerns when there’s global warming and war in Syria to be bothered about.

I’d like a definitive list of all the world’s problems in priority order so I’ll know when it’s ok to criticise some careless bellend for acting like an inconsiderate prick in a car park. Either that or for idiots to realise that more than one thing can matter at any one time.

hora
    Free Member

“homeless rough sleepers and food banks”

So am I but what has it got to do with damaging someones property?

Does the troll on this thread drive?

tomd
    Free Member

I would, but:

Last year I was sat in the back of the van and an old boy got out of his gold honda civic and doored my van good and proper. Presentable sort of chap in his 70s, probably on the way to the local conservative club or the masons. A real thunk. He didn’t see me in the back, but I got out and asked him wtf he was doing. He denied it flat out, he got really angry. So, the moral of the story is that there are bell ends of all ages and social background doing this. Oh and also that some old people are horrible, because **** get old too.

ferrals
    Free Member

johnners – Member
    I’m more concerned about people needing foodbanks or having to sleepon the streets. Now who’s the arse?
    I don’t know how you can be troubled by such trivial concerns when there’s global warming and war in Syria to be bothered about.

I’d like a definitive list of all the world’s problems in priority order so I’ll know when it’s ok to criticise some careless bellend for acting like an inconsiderate prick in a car park. Either that or for idiots to realise that more than one thing can matter at any one time.

This. Thankfully I don’t have a limited capacity for concern.

Re. The cars- its poor behaviour but all too common. I have a theory its happening more often because in general cars are getting bigger and people (on average) are getting fatter but the spaces remain the same size.

tomd
    Free Member

Re. The cars- its poor behaviour but all too common. I have a theory its happening more often because in general cars are getting bigger and people (on average) are getting fatter but the spaces remain the same size.

This is definitely true. Other factor is more older drivers physically struggling to get out of the car.

Alpha1653

There is some epic bell-endery displayed on this thread. Being unable to exhibit empathy just makes you a selfish knob.

Would I own up? Hell yes. It doesn’t matter what it is, if I have damaged another’s property then the courteous thing to do is to admit it to the other person. If they don’t care, fine; but if it matters to them then I will be responsible for my actions and sort it out at my personal expense like a grown up.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You do have to add in the size of new vehicles, positively huge even in comparison to the previous/outgoing model.

Have you seen the size of the new X5? It’s massive, the new X3 is the same size now as the previous X5.. and the new XC90 is colossal. The previous model we had was huge, took a while to get used to even from coming from a 530d sport touring (and that is a large car) but now, well vehicles are so big. I have to say, whilst not an excuse, it’s not really surprising that car park dings are occurring more often.

Just park further away, where there’s space. Oldies and families never park there because they have to walk 2 more minutes to get into the shop…
    It’s what I’ve always done.

breadcrumb

I often park at the back of supermarket carparks to try and avoid the twunts that will happily ding your car without care.

It’s usually bad parking that adds to this, it’s not that difficult to park centred in the bay!

martinhutch

I often park at the back of supermarket carparks to try and avoid the twunts that will happily ding your car without care.

This is my strategy. The theory is that the lazy, ignorant tossers who do this are way too lazy to walk 20 yards more than they need to.

Normally I’d not be too bothered about minor dings, but it’s a lease, so I’m going to have to pay for it to be expensively repaired.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

hora – Member

“homeless rough sleepers and food banks”

So am I but what has it got to do with damaging someones property?

Does the troll on this thread drive?
    The car is more important than people.
    Just have a look at the shite thrown at me, this is in response me saying that if someone parks too close to me, then I’m not worried about dinging their car. Insults are hurled at a person and this is acceptable because I think that the slightest bit of damage to an inanimate object (one’s penis extension demonstration of wealth/success pride and joy) is not a serious issue.

It’s a screwed up world when this is the case.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘If you dented someones car would you own up?’ is closed to new replies.