Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Waiting for my new frame to arrive.
  • futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

When | get home from my holiday, my Jones will have arrived :). I've been dreaming and saving for this bike for 2 years! It turns out I placed my order just in time, as Jeff told me that Merlin were no longer making frames for him (I believe Merlin are no longer making Ti fames, only carbon (?)) and he just had a couple left in stock and was waiting on a final delivery of fat truss forks, which was what I wanted. Jeff sent me some photos of my Spaceframe. The wheels are not mine.

The build will be something like this:
    Jones Spaceframe + fat fork
    home made "Jones" chainset (cut down ebay xtr)
    H Bar from ebay
    Hope pro II rear hub (ebay) gordo rim
    Paul 135mm front hub gordo rim
    XT 11-34 cassette
    XTR rear mech
    Charge Spoon saddle
    XTR m960 dual control shifters/brakes
    Wellgo flat pedals
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26963078@N08/4145553591/

letmetalktomark

Dang…..that looks sweet.

I lust over a bespoke Hi end modern Ti frame like that.

I think I would cut short my holiday, leave the Mrs LMTTM there and get home and build the bike……in the lounge 😈

Post up pics on completion please 😀

woodsman
    Free Member

Exciting times for you! 🙂

I think if you're gonna go Jones then you've got to go for the full 'pram' fork. It looks fairly compact, what sort of lenth is the top tube, is it a custom??

Pete

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I've hardly been able to concentrate on my holiday 🙂 It may take a while to finish the build, but I'll certainly keep updating progress.

Top tube is 23" – which is standard. it is a standard Spaceframe, not custom.
    I'll be adding a fat tyre at some point.

Chainline
    Free Member

Congratulations, I ordered my second one just in time too following the dreaded theft. Buy a chuffing good lock (Pragmasis or Almax) and make sure it's insured!

Oh and enjoy it, they are fabulous to ride, I didn't regret it.

phil.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Can you explain the idea behind the design of Jones frames? Always wondered what he was trying to achieve and Ive never read a review.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Chainline – have you got yours yet?

Geetee – the Spaceframe is designed to be laterally stiff with some vertical compliance – the truss fork is designed to be very stiff to give precise steering, it will also take a 3.7" tyre for some comfort! Since I have not ridden mine yet – maybe Chainline could add few thoughts on how it rides 🙂

Review: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/spaceframe-custom-08-31620

sax_widby
    Free Member

i am extremely jealous, hope it rides as well as it looks

Chainline
    Free Member

Agree with Futon on the basic concept but general idea is:

Short = manouverable/agaile, good climbing
    Low BB = good climbing, stable – grounding issue managed by being short/big wheels (think SWB landrover)
    29er = good roll, bump compliance
    laterally stiff = good power stansfer
    vertical compliance = comfort with 29 wheels
    Truss fork = stiff, accurate,
    geometry(trail + head angles) = means stable but quick steering
    big tyre clearance = comfort
    rear weight bias with seat/bar position = good control, effective downhill even with rigid forks as you can hold the bars lightly and guid the front because your weight is not naturally over the front so upright
    riding position

BIG front tyre means you can bomb rocks on a rigid bike whilst maintaining steering accuracy (doesn't track into gaps) and not beating the hell out of your wrists (tyre runs at 7psi) whislt also rolling over most obstacles because of the size of the tyre (3.7 wide about 80mm tall)

I LOVE the big tyre, especially in the rocks but the traction is brilliant even on normal trails at the expense of slightly slower steering.

Futon, if you want to hook up for a ride someday you can borrow my big wheel (Phil Wood one 2 off hub, 70mm speedway rim) and see if you like it before you take the plunge.

I don't have my bike yet, waiting for Jeff to finish it.

singlespeedstu

WTF is wrong with STW these days.

A thread about a Jones with nine replys and not one "expert" telling you it's all wrong.

I don't know. It wasn't like this a couple of years ago.

grumm
    Free Member

I'll tell you they are fugly as hell and stupidly expensive, if you like? 🙂

singlespeedstu

Cheers that's made me feel all young again. 😉

nasher
    Free Member

They are well ugly

but its one of those bikes that stand out from the crowd and really makes you want to have a go on one!!!

So can I?

clunker

Work of art, lovely 😉

Chainline
    Free Member

Explosion, I have had to 'acquire the taste' in terms of looks, but I agree about the abuse, I was expecting loads when I eventually got it. The march of acceptance of 29er wheels and Manufacturer marketing perhaps?

I have had and sold loads of bikes but I've never missed a bike so much in my life and I only had it for a month!

Are there any entries left for SSEC2010?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Well it's finally here 🙂 – photos do do it justice – really beautiful in the flesh.

Chainline – thanks for you offer – but I've decided to take the plunge with the Endomorph – what inner tubes do you use with them? Also what's the score with the rim – do you use rimtape? – looking at pictures it looks like rimtape isn't used. Also what size 29er tube for the Weirwolf LT – a lot of questions!

Hoping to get it together for a ride this weekend.

singlespeedstu

Lets see some pics of it then so we can all point and laugh. 😉

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Finally all the bits arrived today – built up and went out for a quick spin on the seafront = 😀

The ride felt really good – really stiff and responsive and fast! It wasn't a long ride and not offroad – but anyway it felt good – the Endomorph does make the front feel slow in turning but any extra rolling resistance wasn't niticeable- we'll see how this feels offroad tomorrow but I still have the grin on my face LOL.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

woodsman
    Free Member

Yep, stick up some pics of that pram fronted bike! 😉

Respect – I like em really

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Yes – I've already had the "where do you put the shopping basket" and "is it a girls bike?" from my mates, so funny :-/

I really can't get over how big the Endomorph is! It's massive and the bike still feels light even with the fat wheel on it. When i've got over christmas – I'll sort out a normal front wheel as well.

mtbfix

Merlin only making carbon frames? Surely not?

Chainline
    Free Member

I use a maxxis DH 27 1.5mm thick tube in the endo, much lighter than the stock and fine according to JJ.

I think Jeff uses some sort of cloth tape from the hardware store so not sure on rim tape, definitely needed though. I asked him the question and he gave me that answer..custom tape from a hardware store!

Found out we should get the Larry tyre in the UK from April, about £85 though. Might use it on the Trans Provence.

I'll have a look at the tape on my wheel and try and find out what it is.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Waiting for my new frame to arrive.’ is closed to new replies.