Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • VW transporter conversion
  • nunuboogie
    Free Member

Planning a conversion on a transporter, has anyone converted one with mtb camping in mind?
    Thinking of using the rear area to store 2 bikes with front wheels removed stacked side by side, hopefully this will leave enough room for a rock and roll bed? This will more than likely be a LWB rather than SWB, Would prefer not to store externally as don't consider it safe enough.
    Also any templates for units, or any pointers as where to be looking?
    Thanks

coopersport1
    Free Member

I bought a cd off the 'bay which had lots of very good pointers on it, for units, lining etc to use and I genarlly modified it to suit my requirements.
    However I've yet to see anything that looks aesthetically pleasing and keeps the bikes inside LWB or not. My bikes go on the back and if they can get them off without waking me I'd be very suprised. Bike rack is towbar mounted and chain locked to the chassis and bikes are all locked to the rack.
    If I go anywhere without the bikes they go inside but not possible to sleep with them unless you don't mind fully stripping them and putting them undr the bed. or you don't mind a short 3/4 lenght bed?

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

what about a raised bed and bikes underneath? Hi top would be cool for that?

What about hanging from rear wheel with front wheel out accross the back doors? bikes flat on the back doors

trail_rat
    Free Member

you must be able to get 2 bikes in a transporter and sleep … **** with the front wheels out i can get 2 LARGE bikes in my peugeot partner and sleep down the other side and im 6 foot 3 !

really comes down to how many home comforts you want !

damion
    Free Member

That's extactly how I've converted my ex-aa SWB.

I got a RnR made to my specifications by 'T4 beds r us' which sits further forward than normal, with a 'saris trap' fork clamp mounted onto boxes over the rear arches which hold the bikes side by side.

There's a tread on here somewhere detailing the insulation methods used.

If you email me I'll send you the link to some pics of the build part way through, but I'm afraid I can't get at them at work.

Damion

NZCol

I borrowed a California and took the rear seat out , used a roof rack on the floor with fork mounts. Slept upstairs and front seats swivelled and had a table. Worked well with access to everything. Cost was the killer and t5 resiliency worried me with one broken t5 already I flagged it. Will hire what I need as and when.

IHN

I'm think about doing similar. The Amdro conversions reckon you can get two bikes in the back behind the seat, I fancy seeing one in the flesh though.

http://www.amdro.co.uk

Sam

This is my LT35 – significantly bigger than a Transporter, but the principle is the same. Click pic for link to more pics of the still-in-progress conversion.

alfabus
    Free Member

This is my one, sold now… was bloody good for camping with bikes or just driving to somewhere, getting changed inside and setting off.

Click pic for gallery

Dave

nunuboogie
    Free Member

That's great thanks for all the pic's and info given me some tips and ideas.

mtbscoop
    Free Member

I've got a T5 with velle triple seats fitted, that pop up to make a nice large bed. I can get my bike underneath the bed when sleeping and when seats are in normal position, i can fit 4 bikes in the back. I've got one of these for securing bikes in the back:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Saris_TRK33_Triple_Track_Rack/5360019003/

For van conversions take a look at Exploria and South West Campers.

nickhart
    Free Member

there's more stuff on here than you'll ever need to be honest.

nunuboogie
    Free Member

The amdro angel conversion kit looks amazing! Price to match too though!

mtbscoop
    Free Member

Also check out this forum.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘VW transporter conversion’ is closed to new replies.