Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Vw t5 van classification (speeding ticket content)
  • garethh
    Free Member

I got caught speeding last week on the A9 in Scotland doing 76 mph (started to slow down when I noticed my speed after a section of dual carriage way) in what I thought was a 60 but when I had a letter through the post it said 'for my class of vehicle' the limit was 50mph. Now 16mph above wasn't great but 26mph and I reckon they might give me 6 points (mobile camera).

This hinges on the classification of the van which is a panel van which now has side panel windows and 2 seats in the process of converting it to a camper. Where do I stand with the speed limits on a single carriage road, some web sites quote 50mph and 60 for dual. Is it possible to change the classification and is it worth pleading ignorance to the 50 limit (a long shot I know!)?

Any suggestions gladly received,
    Gareth

Brycey
    Free Member

I think you'll be able to change class now you have windows and seats, but not retospectively unfortunately!

kinger

I've just been on a 'Driver Awareness' course to escape the 3 points having been caught at 70 on a dual carriageway in my Vito van.

Although some folks are saying that windows in the side and seats in the back are a good thing – my van is officially classified as a LGV, hence limited to 50 on a single and 60 on a dual carriageway.
    Quite a few other folks I know with similar vehicles have been done in the last month or two so they are obviously cracking down on vans.
    I looked into getting mine re-clasified but apparently it al comes down whether it is a 'car-derived van' and less about windows and seats…seems a bt of a grey area tho as the friendly officer on my course couldn't answer it either :-/
    Stu

naedeyw
    Free Member

HTH

large418
    Free Member

My T5 is registered as a MotorHome (having seats in the back and a bed/cooker etc). Thus it gets the "car" speed limits. You could do this, but not retrospectively. Now that many speed cameras are linked to the DVLA databases, they can dial up and see what your van is classed as when they take your photo. So, van drivers can be a bit screwed, especially as many do not know that there are different limits

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

In order to reclassify as a motor caravan you have to meet strict criteria including fixed bed, wardrobe, water etc. You need to sends ruck of pictures and receipts to dvla who will then decide if you qualify.

All this won't help you of course as like people say you can't apply it retrospectivly. Also, ignorance to the law is no defence. Sorry, but your screwed.

If it helps, almost everybody who drives a panel van are also blissfully unaware of the reduced speed limits applied to them.

Gary_C

A mate of mine used to have a T5 with factory fitted twin side doors with windows,& seats,& iirc was classed as PLG on the V5,which meant it wasn't subject to the lower speed limits.

EDIT:It said van/side windows on the V5 too.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

You wont get 6 points for 26mph over…

Does anyone know where 4×4 pick-ups stand on this? I've read a discussion before, but it wasn't conclusive.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

It's how their classified at production that matters. A window van gets car speed limits but it also gets car level tax. A panel van has lower limits but you only pay plg tax.

Sorry don't know about 4x4s but would assume car and no additional limits.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Its down to the person who registered the vehicle new. VW had this issue for years. Some were rgistered as LGV and had to obey van speed limits and some were registered as PLG and subsequently car speed limits. Even the Calafornia model had a sticky patch for over 12mths untill VW clarified the situation when customers came to renew.

It usually boils down to the 1st intended user tbh. If they are a business then they would need it to be registered as LGV to qualifyas a van and therefore get 100% VAT allowance. If the customer isnt VAT registered or a private buyer then its obviously in their interests to have it as PLG so they get car speed limits.

I havent seen anyone change the classification but if others say its poissible then fair enough. But from experience, if its a converted van i have never experienced it being changed to PLG unless it was a full camper conversion.

Good luck

garethh
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice guys, might try and go for the classification for to the camper in the long term, was as you say blissfully unaware until now about the speed limit. Fingers crossed it will just be 3 points, I got 3 last month also which will put me up to 6. Not good will have to be ultra careful from now on.
    Gareth

allthepies
    Free Member

So all the t*sser white van-men who rag up the motorways at 80mph+ are actually 20mph over the speed limit then! Interesting…

1981miked
    Free Member

I have an idea…..SLOW DOWN. 76 is far too fast for that road anyway. I drive it 2 or 3 times a week and have seen some horrendous accidents and people making overtaking moves you would not believe! Too many people taking too many chances. Drive safe.

coatesy
    Free Member

Recently had my VW Caddy re-classified, was originally classified as a car-derived van(based on Golf and Touran), but DVLA decided it's now a panel van and subject to their speed restrictions too.

jond
    Free Member

Have a look on http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/ – dunno offhand which threads deal with limits/reclassification but there are a few – mebbe try searching the t4 forum first

As mentioned, I think you might manage to get it reclassified as a camper, doesn't help you now tho'.

>seems a bt of a grey area
    In terms of working out what's what, yes, but I think it's pretty clear cut according to the registration document, IIRC it's either M1 (non commercial) or commercial (whatever that designation is)

>as a car-derived van(based on Golf and Touran),

Not sure it's as straightforward as that, might have the same chassis but the bodyshells different (I guess that could be the reasoning)

steveh

Allthepies – No, the speed limits are:
    50 on single carriageway roads
    60 on dual carriageway roads
    70 on motorways

It's based on payload and if the vehicle is a car derived van or not. It's rather difficult to get a firm answer on points like this from anyone to be honest.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Vw t5 van classification (speeding ticket content)’ is closed to new replies.