Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Vue Cinemas – a rant
  • somouk
    Free Member

don’t tell anyone, but you can. Not legally, but it can be done, fairly easily and cheaply.

It can be done but they’re generally terrible cam copies that come out a couple of days after with terrible colour and no chance of decent sound let alone a full 5.1 sound track.

slugwash
    Free Member

The Mayo and Kermode ‘rules’ summarise why cinemas are hell on earth these days. I’d love to watch stuff on the big screen more often, but having to do it alongside a pack of vile, indisciplined, smelly, chatty, munching morons just ruins the experience

Sod their rules. I take my bloody shoes off in the cinema and put my feet up. If I’ve just paid the equivalent of a month’s mortgage so my family can watch a film then the auditorium’s my living room.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but considering a blu ray film comes in at around 8gb, even compressing it to maintain 5.1 sound and decent pic quality you will still be above 2.5gb at the least. So streaming in that quality isn’t really practical yet, it might be in a few years but not yet.

The cinema experience when it’s good is still great, though I much prefer it when there are less than 10 people in the cinema, and they had better all be following the code. I will explain to a few people I’m not being rude just don’t talk to me during the film, I don’t care who was in what previously or if you guessed the plot twist yet.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The last couple of times I went to the cinema I had to sit through HALF AN HOUR of adverts. If that’s the norm these days it’s sadly one more reason not to go.

I’ve always been a big fan of going to the piccies – albeit a rare occurrence – but I’m finding it harder to justify compared to just renting it on iTunes for a fraction of the price. There are some films I’m glad I saw at the cinema – Avatar and Gravity to name two – but I reckon my viewing tastes have changed so much that the big screen doesn’t need to be as big and loud anymore.

Lifer
    Free Member

slugwash – Member
    Sod their rules. I take my bloody shoes off in the cinema and put my feet up. If I’ve just paid the equivalent of a month’s mortgage so my family can watch a film then the auditorium’s my living room.

Everyone else has paid as well, try being a bit more considerate.

warton
    Free Member

don’t tell anyone, but you can. Not legally, but it can be done, fairly easily and cheaply.
    It can be done but they’re generally terrible cam copies that come out a couple of days after with terrible colour and no chance of decent sound let alone a full 5.1 sound track.

Nah, I watched dallas buyers club in full hd at a friends house before it was out over here. you need a cracked apple tv or android tv box, but no dodgy cam copies…

slugwash
    Free Member

Everyone else has paid as well, try being a bit more considerate.

I might have had been making a comment on the price of admission and talking tongue in cheek 🙂

(I do take my shoes off though)

somouk
    Free Member

Nah, I watched dallas buyers club in full hd at a friends house before it was out over here. you need a cracked apple tv or android tv box, but no dodgy cam copies…

I have a Raspberry Pi running XBMC the same as a cracked apple TV will be running and reasonable copies are rare to come buy. It’s normally if the film is released in the US first then a good copy will appear here before it’s released in UK cinemas. As most films now go for a global release date there are getting rarer and rarer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep and try finding anything with 5.1 before the blu ray comes out, and if you want that then you will be heading up on the file size too. If people want to offer a DL/streaming service I want Blu Ray quality not compressed and scaled back

richmtb

I saw Gravity at the IMAX in Braehead and it was so cold I thought they were simulating outer space.

Stuff like that is annoying when you are paying £15 a ticket but I still enjoy seeing a good film on the big screen.

I very rarely buy food though, a small (ie bloody massive) popcorn once in a blue moon

samuri
    Free Member

And, I just wanted to check, if you go in with a normal ticket and the VIP seats are empty, you all sit there, right?

ourmaninthenorth

Worst eating experience I’ve witnessed in a cinema was in the achingly trendy Cornerhouse in Manchester. Woman in front of use opens her sandwiches and starts chomping.

It wasn’t the sound or the smell.

It was the film we were watching: Steve McQueen’s Hunger.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

We use the Vue cinema in New Brighton and think its great!
    Cheaper than most of its rivals, and some very pleasant staff.

Edited: Doh!! No we don’t, it’s apparently a Light cinema. It’s great. Please ignore my ramblings.

molgrips
    Free Member

The cinemas make almost no profit from the ticket price for new films, despite it being pretty high, because the film distribution companies rip them off. This is why a) the food and drink is so ridiculously expensive (that and the fact pepole buy it) and b) why they treat their staff so badly and have the heating off.

If you go to a small local cinema, chances are they are showing older films. The distribution companies charge much less for older films, so they can afford to lease them and then charge more reasonable sums.

jekkyl

what’s wrong with taking your shoes off, my feet and socks are clean!
    We go to the cinema once every 2 months or so and really find that most people are quiet and respectful to others and we usually have a good time.
    I miss the days when people would cheer or clap when the BBFC cert came up. I distinctly remember going to see Ghostbusters when this happened, maybe it was just in Scotland?!

stumpy01

I like going to the cinema, but don’t buy any food or drink once I am there….
    Although, saying that – the Showcase in Peterboghorror has recently been re-decorated (well, the foyer has at least) and threre’s now a Costa in there so we did buy a coffee each, last time we went.

The thing that does my head in is mobile phones. People getting them out of their pocket every 15 mins to see if anyone has put anything important on Facebook or twitter, like a photo of their lunch or their new baby puking up.
    The bright screens are really distracting.

When we went to see Gravity, there was a group of scrotes in front of us who spent the whole time giggling amongst themselves, making sarcastic comments and being generally annoying. I sat getting more and more wound up and eventually hissed at them the ‘shut the effing jeff up’. I was awaiting a torrent of abuse along the lines of ‘shut up old man’ and an escalating of the generally crap behaviour. But they went deathly quiet and I then felt a bit guilty that I’d spoiled their fun…! 🙄

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

We’re tight. We make popcorn before we go and take a drink in. I do think the markup is pretty obscene.

bruk

Haven’t been to the cinema in years. Last time I went was to a little place in Wanaka NZ. Bloody brill. Interval 1/2 way through. Sat in a sofa and was distracted by smell of home baked cookies before the interval.

Could take wine and beer in too.

Not really a film buff but just can’t be bothered going to the cinema here. Seems over priced and very poor service.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have written an email complaint to Vue – I shall post up if I get a response…

Cougar

The last couple of times I went to the cinema I had to sit through HALF AN HOUR of adverts. If that’s the norm these days it’s sadly one more reason not to go.

It was ever thus. I don’t think I’ve ever been to a cinema where the adverts / trailers preamble was under 20 minutes, it was the same when I used to go to the old Unit 4 fleapit to watch brand new films like The Empire Strikes Back.

what’s wrong with taking your shoes off, my feet and socks are clean!

I’m struggling to think of many places I’d be less inclined to take my shoes off in. A student nightclub, maybe? You’d have to boil-wash your socks afterwards.

Drac

Jesus! Really? They couldn’t sell you something as it’s part of package deal, you get pissy when they refuse and a day later you are sending emails. Life’s too short.

cheers_drive

I suppose that they’ve done some sort of analysis to workout that they’ll make more money from selling less and hugely inflated prices instead of selling more at reasonable prices.
    The price for the ticket itself is a rip off nowadays, the film distribution companies are soon going to price themselves out compares with downloads and Blueray.

Cougar

Good luck with that.

Anecdotally, in a past life I used to work in a bowling alley. The biggest markup in the building was on soft drinks. The huge cups that you pay North of three quid for in the early 90s costed the bowl about eight pence. That’s less than it cost (per unit) for us to buy those individual little pots of ketchup that everyone always pissed and moaned about having to pay a few pence for.

tomhoward

Best covert food/drink sneakage I saw was with group of mates, we all sat down and one of the girls reaches into her (trendy, ridiculously massive) handbag and pulls out first a wine glass, followed by a bottle of red and a corkscrew! She left with the glass and corkscrew.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

it was ever thus. I don’t think I’ve ever been to a cinema where the adverts / trailers preamble was under 20 minutes

I don’t mind 20 minutes of film trailers; I quite enjoy the trailers. What I object to is half an hour of the kind of adverts I thought I’d left behind on ITV.

johndoh
    Free Member

Jesus! Really? They couldn’t sell you something as it’s part of package deal, you get pissy when they refuse and a day later you are sending emails. Life’s too short.

Yup – 5 minutes moaning might get me a couple of free tickets (and yes, I’ll take my own water)…

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

there is a Chilango’s near the Vue in Islington. i often pic up a burrito from there to neck while the adverts are on.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

My local cinema is a Vue, their terms and conditions say you can take your own food if you want

Think I might take the barbecue next time

bails

Nachos have always seemed an odd choice of cinema food.

If you’re sitting in the dark, surrounded by people who want you to be quiet, why would you choose messy, noisy, smelly nachos?

At least pizza is quiet!

binners

Can you write emails in green biro?

legend
    Free Member

richmtb – Member
    I saw Gravity at the IMAX in Braehead and it was so cold I thought they were simulating outer space.

Your mistake there was going to the Braehead IMAX. Science Centre IMAX >> Odeon IMAX

edlong
    Free Member

I hope it was ridiculously sarcastic and employed surreal and over-extended similes terribly witty, it’s the modern way with consumer complaints.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

old Unit 4 fleapit

Outside Shipley?! Takes me back to my yoof.

johndoh
    Free Member

I hope it was ridiculously sarcastic and employed surreal and over-extended similes terribly witty, it’s the modern way with consumer complaints.

Unfortunately not, I find it hard to be funny in these situations, I just moaned briefly then went back to work.

wiggles
    Free Member

The Virgin Cinema at Spytty in Newport used to let people take pizzas in I thought I was being dareing and subversive by sneaking a coke and crisps in hell no Two Pizza Hut boxes and not an eyelid was batted.
    I now adhere to the Code as well.
    POSTED 13 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Virgin cinema was that in the 90’s when megabowl was next door?!

Been about 10 different cinemas since then.

BigJohn

The only Cinema I go to is The Electric in Birmingham.

It’s not the nearest by 25 miles but it’s lovely.

If you book seats on the leather sofas you can text the bar during the film and they will bring you beer, g&t, snacks etc. straight away.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Vue Cinemas – a rant’ is closed to new replies.