Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Vue Cinemas – a rant
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Went today (Tinkerbelle Pirates film, surprisingly okay). Wanted a bottle of water, asked for a small bottle (which they had) and was told they couldn’t sell me it, just the 750ml bottle (at £2.50 – wtf) because the small bottles were only ‘for the children’s deals’.

Seriously? Well #{{%^ed off – get shafted even more than I expected simply because of some stupid jobsworth.

Cougar

Fill your pockets before you go. Schoolboy error, I knew that in the 80s.

(though, yes I agree, it’s shit, should’ve claimed discrimination)

bland

Take half a dozen bottles of beer next time

Drac

Do they not have a tap in the toilet?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oil local cinema is above an Aldi. 3 cans of coke for 99p and a bag of sweets and away you go!

Slogo
    Free Member

Our local cinema is on a big complex with a tesco. I always fill a bag with drinks, ice cream and bags of pop corn before the film.

Only on cheap tuesdays or orange wednesdays!

Robbing bastards…. the Mark up is crazy!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The Vue we (used to) go to was always bloody freezing. Never, ever, ever, ever bought anything other than the ticket to get in, in the fear of being ripped right off!

johndoh
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    POSTED 8 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

We did that – kids had tubs of sweets from home etc, but we’d been out shopping (in an industrial estate so nowhere to buy from, rushing to get to the film on time) and had run out of drinks for us all.

loddrik
    Free Member

I long for the day when new releases can be streamed at home at the same time as they come out at the cinema.

somouk
    Free Member

I long for the day when new releases can be streamed at home at the same time as they come out at the cinema.

I’m surprised the film industry hasn’t pushed for this, if they charged a similar price to a cinema ticket it might not affect their opening week figures too badly but may increase the pirating somewhat.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We were in one a few weeks ago, now I don’t feel the cold but I was bloody freezing.

We didn’t buy anything either, other than tickets.

Can’t help wondering when they will change their business model to price their goodies more competitively.

StirlingCrispin

I hate Vue cinemas: complete rip off.

Ended up at one yesterday with the boys – I’d promised them an end-of-holiday treat, not realising that the movie we wanted wasn’t on at the local uni cinema.

1) 75p booking fee on each ticket
    2) couldn’t book seats in the middle because it left a single seat spare.
    3) 30 mins of adverts before the main film
    4) spoilt brats slurping on juice all through the movie. One kid even had his head in the popcorn box.
    And breathe….
    Macrobert cinema for us from now on.

Kit
    Free Member

Seriously? Well #{{%^ed off – get shafted even more than I expected simply because of some stupid jobsworth.

As an ex “stupid jobsworth” of Vue, this is exactly why most folk hate working there. Minimum wage and long shifts and you’re expected take it on the chin from every customer who doesn’t like the prices, but think it’s your fault. Do you think each “stupid jobsworth” actually enjoys charging you for a full bottle of water? No, we/they hate it. It’s embarrassing. Something like not being able to sell you a wee bottle of water because it’s part of a combo is because there’s no button for it on the till, so what can you do? That’s a decision taken by management, not by the “stupid jobsworth”. You ignorant ****.

johndoh
    Free Member

Point taken, wasn’t the jobsworth’s fault, although he could have tried being understanding rather than arrogant and condescending towards me when I challenged him on the issue.

jon1973
    Free Member

Wait until it’s available to rent on Bluray, rack up the volume on the surround sound, sit back and enjoy on a comfy sofa in front of a big screen.

samuri
    Free Member

For me it’s those dustbin sized popcorn buckets and the vat of fizzy drink they sell. No normal person needs that much popcorn or drink.

My approach to cinemas now is that I buy something to eat and drink on the way there and arrive 20 minutes after the ‘start’ of the film although I’ve noticed they’ve started arguing about issuing tickets after the film has started.

jekkyl

I like Vue cinemas, the experience is great & now that you can reserve all seats online you can arrive 20 minutes after the ‘start time’ & walk straight into your seats, turfing out the oik who now has to sit down the front.

globalti
    Free Member

Why do people feel the need to eat and drink in cinemas? I thought the dining room or the restaurant were for eating and drinking.

jekkyl

Globalti, one thing I’ve always wondered about your name.
    Are you a glow in the dark curry or do you ride a titanium bike all over the world?

jock-muttley

^^^^ this local odeon is getting snotty about this too, we had hassle last time we went and so did quite a lot of others who were dodging the adverts (don’t mind the trailers) … Looks like their advertising client are complaining.

user-removed
    Free Member

Our local cinema (Empire) has a *very* strict policy about not letting you take in so much as the fluffy toffee at the bottom of your pocket.

Anything you take in must be bought from their overpriced concession. Bastards.

wrightyson
    Free Member

We were at showcase yesterday. £7.35 for popcorn and a drink 😯
    Needless to say as I’m a tight bastard I’d sent the mrs to sainsburys whilst I bought the tickets. I only like to get bent over once a day!

jock-muttley

Our local cinema (Empire) has a *very* strict policy about not letting you take in so much as the fluffy toffee at the bottom of your pocket.
    Anything you take in must be bought from their overpriced concession. Bastards.

They can’t do this, if they try and search you or a bag, then it constitutes an assault, scream blue murder.

bonchance
    Free Member

They can’t do this, if they try and search you or a bag, then it constitutes an assault, scream blue murder.

I don’t think they should — but is the above opinion or fact?

Be good to know for when the Tesco supplied Butterkist are discovered, it all kicks off and the Rozzers are on scene 🙂

Might get some cards or Tshirts printed stating my rights!

user-removed
    Free Member

They can certainly refuse you entry if you don’t let them rake about in your belongings 🙁 Seen a few teenyboppers getting their Haribo taken off them.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

If I ever want to have a bloody good argument, i’ll go to a “mainstream” cinema.

Haven’t been in 3 years and won’t be going this year either.

Filmhouse/Cameo for arty-farty stuff and specials seasons only.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

I believe you are not a regular cinema viewer…. I always bring a bagfull food of my choice ..even my kid do it ..(coca cola in can, popcorn, chocolate..you name it.) rather than buying in the cinema .. You get odd looks now and then peeling a banana before the movie starts though 😉 but you get used to it

Cougar

“Fine, I’ll have a refund then.”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Food and drink????

wallop

Out local showcase is fairly good but I did once complain to them that, ml for ml, their bottled water was more expensive than their coffee.

martinhutch

The Mayo and Kermode ‘rules’ summarise why cinemas are hell on earth these days. I’d love to watch stuff on the big screen more often, but having to do it alongside a pack of vile, indisciplined, smelly, chatty, munching morons just ruins the experience.

Do they still have ushers anywhere that go around telling people to STFU?

And as for handing over cash to a cinema that wants to search your bag for contraband minstrels, have you no self-respect?

johndoh
    Free Member

I believe you are not a regular cinema viewer…. I always bring a bagfull food of my choice ..even my kid do it ..(coca cola in can, popcorn, chocolate..you name it.) rather than buying in the cinema .. You get odd looks now and then peeling a banana before the movie starts though but you get used to it

I covered that yesterday…

johndoh – Member
    Cougar – Moderator
    POSTED 8 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

We did that – kids had tubs of sweets from home etc, but we’d been out shopping (in an industrial estate so nowhere to buy from, rushing to get to the film on time) and had run out of drinks for us all.

😉

globalti
    Free Member

Globalti, one thing I’ve always wondered about your name.
    Are you a glow in the dark curry or do you ride a titanium bike all over the world?

My mountain bike is a Global titanium.

Pigface
    Free Member

The Virgin Cinema at Spytty in Newport used to let people take pizzas in 😯 I thought I was being dareing and subversive by sneaking a coke and crisps in 😆 hell no Two Pizza Hut boxes and not an eyelid was batted.

I now adhere to the Code as well.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i visit a vue every week, only beacuse I get a free ticket through a pruhealth scheme. i have never bought any consumables from the counter. was behind a couple in the queue recently (because you collect tickets from the counter now so they can try and sell you stuff) and they bought two tickets, some popcorn, drink and some nacho’s i think, their bill was about £45 notes!!! fookin nora.

However, I do enjoy the experience of the cinema and many films deserve to be seen in that environment. Regards home streaming new releases tho – ‘simultaneous release’ is a new concept where by a film opens at the cinema, and becomes available on DVD & itunes all on the same day. ‘A Field In England’ was one last year. good idea i reckon. still to take off tho really…

robdob
    Free Member

A cinema near us (Rex in Elland) doesn’t charge much for a ticket (ok it’s a very old cinema with ancient sound system so not great for action films) and sells sweets and cups of tea at normal prices. They ask you not to bring stuff in yourself as they don’t overcharge for snacks which helps pay to keep the place going – but you don’t mind as it’s so cheap!
    They also have an interval and sometimes have a Wurlitzer/organ thing on too during it.

It’s not the latest Dolby whatever or mega ultra HD Picture but it’s a great experience and it’s the only cinema I’ve been to in recent years – they are often full too!

Cougar

I really miss the interval. When films are running at two and a half hours plus it’s nice to be able to stretch your legs and get rid of the two pints of flat Coke you’ve just drunk. (I’m looking at you, Peter Jackson)

klumpy
    Free Member

I never buy food in the cinema. Best ever was ‘sneaking’ in several pizza hut pizzas… Although I think the staff just don’t care as red hot rucksack trailing clouds of garlic flavoured steam is hardly the last word in covert.

Someone should see if you can get a pizza joint to deliver to an actual cinema seat…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Someone should see if you can a pizza joint to deliver to an actual cinema seat…

Please stop this madness… this is what DVD’s are for

warton
    Free Member

don’t tell anyone, but you can. Not legally, but it can be done, fairly easily and cheaply.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Vue Cinemas – a rant’ is closed to new replies.