• This topic has 60 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Volvo XC90
  • owenfackrell
    Free Member

Does any one have one of these? We are looking at one of these instead of an MPV as they feel to van like. What should we be looking for and what to avoid? Manual vers auto?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Might well be getting one to replace my V70. Very impressive cars, really well made and great to drive. The seats and dash are straight out of the V70 pretty much and are really very good. Pretty much all of them will be Auto, there are very few manual Volvos at all, let alone in the big ones.

See if you can get a D5, lovely smoooooooth diesel engine. Avoid the petrol ones, unless you like spending money on fuel!

Considered a Disco 3 as well? Again, on my shopping list at the moment and equally (if not a little more) impressed.

Legoman
    Free Member

Had a couple in the family over the past 5 years – avoid the petrol versions unless you like visiting petrol stations. A lot.

Best one to go for IMO is an auto D5 model with the 185bhp engine (up from 163bhp late 2005 onwards I think) – as well as a slightly more powerful engine it has a 6-speed auto box instead of 5sp.

I've now got a Discovery 3 – far superior to the Volvo in my view, especially the ride quality & similar money to the Volvo. It's bigger inside too = more room for bikes in the back!

Cheers.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

The Disco 3 is a little out of our price range for the millage we would like. We are only looking at the D5's due to fuel costs.

Legoman
    Free Member

Have to admit I've not checked prices recently, but I thought the Disco 3 'S' model (no SatNav or leather) was comparable to a D5 in SE trim.

Both good cars – reckon you'd be happy with either

MrNutt
    Free Member

avoid the early auto ones as pulling away seems to have a delay that almost had me in peril on mini roundabouts

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Not in used prices as the disco seems to have higher millages and we are looking at low as we want to keep the car for a long time.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I have one on order, D5. It was due to be delivered on 28th of this month. Very excited. But just found out its now not due at the dealer until 23/12 and the they say it will be after Christams before we can have it, gutted 😥

I've now got a Discovery 3 – far superior to the Volvo in my view

I've had a Disco 3 (and had a series 2 before that) Still too many niggly faults for me and the MPG was shocking for a diesel (23). Still a great car mind, just not as good as it could be.

br
    Free Member

ignore fuel costs, look at whole life costs – as its will be difficult for the fuel costs to get anywhere near the depreciation…

rs
    Free Member

depreciation doesn't really matter if he's going to keep it for a long time though, fuel costs come out your pocket every week so are more of an issue.

iamtheresurrection

We've got a D5. They are really nice cars, get plenty in them for a weekend of walking, biking or both.

Service costs are pretty high (and the intervals are short – all Volvos), and we only get 26-28 mpg driven pretty conservatively.

Don't buy manual or leather without heated seats – both have low residuals…

owenfackrell
    Free Member

b r Whilst the petrol are cheaper to buy the cost more ot run and are worth less later on. I am buying used on this.

SidewaysTim

Great cars. I've had two – both D5 185 (Euro IV I think). Front tyres wear out quickly, you'll only get more than 28mpg if you really do drive like Miss Daisy and they do lag a bit when pulliing off. It's something you get used to and it saves wear on the drivetrain (or something like that). Apparently the coupling between the front and rear wheels can break and you won't notice until you really need 4WD – costs about £1200 to put right, but It's not happened to either of mine and they both have towed a very heavy caravan off wet fields with ease. They're not off roaders, but they are a great, roomy, 7 seater that can actually tow well and fit loads of stuff in.

Get one.

SidewaysTim

Oh, and if you can find a V8 in black with less than 20k on the clock, let me know.

showerman
    Free Member

how much are the tyres and what milage do you get on them?

SidewaysTim

16,000 I got. If it's on 18" wheels they're about £150 each and very few makers do them, but crazily on 19" wheels, they're more easily available and start at about £70.

br
    Free Member

depreciation doesn't really matter if he's going to keep it for a long time though, fuel costs come out your pocket every week so are more of an issue.

and the finance/lease comes out of your pocket every month…

And to take the numbers:

28mpg at £1.10 pl = 18ppm
    £2000 depreciation per year and 12k miles = 17ppm

Manufactures/garages want you to believe that its all about fuel, whereas all costs add up.

SidewaysTim

Looking at overall costs is a silly way to buy a car. If you can afford to justify the purchase price and you want it, then go for it.

Either that or drive around in a dull grey box like everyone else.

joolsburger
    Free Member

SidewaysTim

Good one. Because having a car that fits your kids and dogs in means you have a little cock doesn't it?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Or get a cayenne and you can have this

joolsburger
    Free Member

On a more serious note is there a reason to get one of these over one of their estates, I very much liked my V50 T5 and it was a big, comfy car..

I have two kids and a labrador.

And a cock like a tin of vim with a sheeps heart on the top.

SidewaysTim

We tried the normal sized estate car for a year and it was just not a great experience. Having three kids invariably means that if you go anywhere a a family there'e either a friend or grandparent coming along which means six seats needed at least. Towing a caravan or horsebox usually means wet/muddy fields, so 4WD is a big help. There are very few 7 seat, 4WD cars that have room for a couple of dogs, flexible seating and decent looks/comfort.

Personally I think the older BMW X5, Mercedes ML, Volkswagen Toureg, Porsche Cayenne and several others are a waste of effort as they don't have a flexible interior in terms of seating/luggage capacity. The Volvo is cetainly one of the best of it's type.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I'm totally convinced.

J

Crell
    Free Member

I test drove a D5 SE Auto. The torque convertor was awful. Press the accelerator (imagine pulling out in to fast moving traffic). Wait 'till it does its trickery, feel the torque grow. As a consequence the throttle response from stationary is terrible.

If you're running it in to the ground and residuals are less of an issue I'd buy a manual.

Apart from being noisy and a bit basic inside, it was OK. It's being discontinued, (with no sucessor) and you can pick them up new for about 27k from drive the deal.

julesf7
    Free Member

I was choosing, a few months ago, between a XC90 and a Disco 3. The dominant factor, when it came down to it, was towing capacity. That said, the interior space of the D3 is larger and, importantly, more flexible. I went for a D3 S- version, the leather is not important to me and the SatNav not critical.

On another note, though, why should a vehicle having high mileage make it less suitable to keeping for a long time? One that has had motorway miles, regular oil changes and services and a sensible owner will (probably) be in better nick that one that has done a 5 mile school run twice a day or someone with a rudimentary understanding of the clutch. Certainly with diesels most are about run-in by 60,000!

br
    Free Member

Sideways – but I don't run around in a small box, I've a V8 😛 – just pointing out the depreciation 'issue'

SidewaysTim

br – glad to hear it. I cringe when I hear people ordering cars because 'it's only £35 a year to tax', or 'it'll sell better in that colour when we get rid of it'. FFS people, just buy what you actually want and worry about that stuff when the time comes.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

the reason for going for a caqr like this as most normal estates you can't get 3 kids seats in unless the adult passanger sits in the middle at the back and my wife strangly likes to sit next to me.
    We don't want to spend more than 15k at which point the disco 3's are only just apperring as they are that much newer. The reason for wanting a lower or avarage millage is that we tend to do higher millages due to visiting people (and biking) and don't want to start to get tot he expensive bills to later in its life.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I believe Jeremy Clarkson had an XC90 for years as family transport and even recommended buying one (if you require 7 seats) in last week's Sunday Times motoring section even though the article was about the new Disco 4.

joolsburger
    Free Member

You can easily get 3 child seats in the back of a V70 and for 15k I'd go estate all the way. You'll get something newer, better to drive, more comfortable, safer and much better on fuel.

Unless you need to tow horse boxes, caravans and have a tiny penis!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You can easily get 3 child seats in the back of a V70 and for 15k I'd go estate all the way. You'll get something newer, better to drive, more comfortable, safer and much better on fuel.

I have a V70, and am not sure you could get three child seats in teh back. As mentioned above, might have to have one adult in the back.

Newer? Maybe
    Better to drive? Maybe, but only marginal. The XC90 is very good, and you're hardly caring about rad to teh power of sick driving skillz with three kids in the back, are you?
    More comfortable? Same seats as a V70, so the same comfort!
    Safer? Again, debatable. Not much in it either way, I would say.
    Much better on fuel? Better maybe, but not much better.

Plus, as the kids grow, the extra seats in the back will be great.

higgo
    Free Member

I've had a V70 (though not the current one) and have triplets.
    You can get three child seats in a V70 (850shape), Saab 9-3 (900shape) and (perhaps not surprisingly) a Ford Galaxy.

I take an interest in cars that will take three kids and have considered the XC90 in the past. To me it's getting a bit long in the tooth now. I still have a Disco on the list for when the Galaxy blows up.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I quite easily fitted 3 child seats in my v50 and a 70 is bigger. ( ihave two but they have friends so I often had 3 in the back.

Newer yes a cursory look at Autotrader says so.

Better to drive I think so I cant see how the XC is going to be better on road, it wasn't when I drove it.

More comfortable again no compromise for off road but I'm prepared to accept it might be similar

Safer – The best form of safety is avoidance much more easily accomplished in a V

Volvos own figures show a considerable saving on fuel

Extra seats OK then.

Having said that I know someone looking to sell their XC90 as we speak so….It's an 06 plate and on the money I think.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I drive an 850 GLT, can easily seat three in the back and I have enormous cock.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Well known fact that your cars "blingness" is inversely proportional to the size of your old fella.

It's called Clarksons Law.

docrobster
    Free Member

I believe Jeremy Clarkson had an XC90 for years as family transport and even recommended buying one (if you require 7 seats) in last week's Sunday Times motoring section even though the article was about the new Disco 4.

Just heard him say its the best family car available on 5 live.
    Study in the BMJ few years ago found drivers of 4×4 something like twice as likely to be using mobile while driving (ie not hands free) than other cars.
    Not sure why that would be, maybe someone on here will know…

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Which type of kids seat? as some have large bases than others. The extra seats will be usefull when having the kids cousins over or when take grandparents etc out with us plus the forward facing seats look a lot safer than the rearward ones in the estate plus where would you put the buggy. not really bothed of what people think of the size of my cock as my wife likes it plus i normally ride to work in lycra. It will make our other car look small though as its a megane coupe.
    I had seen the times artical form earlier this year when clrakson bought his 3rd one which seems a good recomendation to me.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Well if your commited to buying one now's the time as they are being phased out.

My mate really is selling one it's black with cream leather.

Apparently the fuel consumption is crippling but then my t5 never got much above 20.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Volvo XC90’ is closed to new replies.