• This topic has 60 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Voice of Reason – Daily Express Royal Correspondent on Cycling
  • Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Warning: Typical Express content, but with no mention of Princess Diana or the asylum seeker on benefits with a Ferrari.

Enjoy….

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/357489/Lycraman-must-stop-saddling-us-with-blame

warton
    Free Member

Life is too short to get angry at this sort of stuff… hasn’t she just cut and pasted this from last months Daily Mail rant?

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

Standard “them and us” non-article.

D0NK

Any chance of a summary without giving that ‘orrible lot anymore traffic?
    but then again

Life is too short to get angry at this sort of stuff…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Clickbait

boxfish
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, I actually love cycling. I just choose to do it in the safety and comfort of a spinning class at the gym.

OK…

geetee1972
    Free Member

The problem is this is not a harmless article. People read this and it reinforces their belief that cyclists should be treated as second class road users. She gives herself away when she talks about cyclists riding in the middle of the road as if that were somehow inherently wrong and we should all be riding in the gutter regardless of road conditions.

brooess
    Free Member

It’s a very childish article. Geetee has it right – it’s not harmless. The great thing about social media however, as you can see from the comments, is we can subvert the prejudice with reasoned argument…

Also in these comments sections of articles like this, we need to start pointing out that changing ‘cyclist’ to Jew, Black, Woman, Gay etc would lead to an article which would be an incitement to hatred…

MrSparkle

True. ‘Jews cycling in the middle of the road’

zilog6128

Great comments after the article though, +1 to them all!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Black Jew Cyclists in the middle of the road riding in a Gay way.

atlaz
    Free Member

brooess – you the person she’s having a dingdong with on Twitter?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Sounds like such a lovely person! Shes even commented “is that how you talk to women” despite it having no relevance…

binners

PERHAPS it is because my late mother had an affair with a cyclist that I have never had much time for them. I would walk home from school to frequently find his bike propped up against the front gate.

Hora? You didn’t?! 😯

brooess
    Free Member

brooess – you the person she’s having a dingdong with on Twitter?

No. I avoid people like her like the plague. They can only make your life worse.
    The article is either a) clickbait or b) she has some serious personal issues which probably require therapy!

rudebwoy
    Free Member

[/quote] she has some serious personal issues which probably require therapy!

— high speed lead tablet therapy

binners

The trouble with cyclists is that they take themselves so very seriously, don’t they?

Obviously she’s met a few roadies then 😉

cookeaa

I think the linked article is simply a case of a journalist knowing their audience and spouting accordingly; “Preaching to the choir” if you like…

Foaming at the mouth, right of centre types buy the Mail/Express precisely because they reinforce their world view which of course includes a Clarkson derived claim to hate people on bicycles on the road, hardly groundbreaking.

Of course it cuts both ways; Guardian and Independent readers have their own more left of centre view point, often more pro-cycling along with being Pro Gay rights/environmental protection/Anti-war etc, etc…

I think it’s because of this that the perceived “Battle lines” for the current set of cycling safety debates seem to get drawn along roughly Left/Right political lines, but that’s not really the case. Cycling safety is not a “Left” or “Right” political issue, it’s a Cycling/road safety issue; the only groups who really speak with any authority on the topic are those who’s primary functions are cycling and/or road safety…

Papers using it as a basis to vilify any group based on their own political bias is not the way to progress a discussion; labeling of all cyclist or all drivers helps nobody IMO, in seeking to apportion blame for current problems rather than understanding the problems and looking for solutions they merely serve to prevent progress…

brooess
    Free Member

Cookeaa has it – it’s clickbait supporting the prejudices of their readership. However, in doing that it’s damn dangerous writing.

I’ve emailed BC and asked them why they don’t get officially involved in such stories – especially this one as she brings Brad into it, suggesting that the driver hasn’t yet been found at blame when in fact, they’ve been summonsed by the police.

I’ve suggested they make a formal complaint or at least post an official response in the comments pointing out the inaccuracies and prejudice – ideally on each and every story like this. Social media gives us a voice with such stuff…

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Nice one brooess – please let us know how you get on with BC.

cookeaa

Social media gives us a voice with such stuff…

Does it though? Maybe I’m a touch out of sync but the twitterati claiming to give half a shit for one news cycle is not really getting your POV across or achieving any sort of sustained change IMO…

The actual decision makers with any real sway on the issues hold public office and (I would hope) are too busy with real work to pay much attention to social media…

I’d be interested to know where enforcement of road safety and improvement of cycling safety through prevention falls on the agendas of our soon to be Local police commisioners?

Are these people going to escalate enforcement of key road safety legislation FOR ALL road users?

-Illumination of bikes after dark.
    -stopping and fining drivers who use phones behind the wheel
    -closer, more regular monitoring of speeding at know accident blackspots.

These are all “crimes” which can be detected, logged and thus added to their performance Stats of course, but also actions which serve to reduce the likelyhood of injuries and fatalitys on the road, prevention and detection in one – Gold star!

Road layout and signage next, a clear set of guidlines focussed on creating a safe environment FOR ALL road users.

brooess
    Free Member

Cookeaa – you’re right. Social media will give us a voice, and help us correct such dangerous writing at source, but it’s only one component in a whole machine of dealing with the real problem which is dangerous driving.

I find that shouting and waving at bad drivers makes no difference. Mounting a social media response to writing like hers does at least raise awareness amongst a broader audience.

Enforcement of the law is the only real solution for now.

I do wonder what would happen if all commuters and road riders had helmet cameras and at the end of each ride, downloaded all incidences of bad driving and emailed them to the Police asking for prosecution or at least a talking to.
    They’d be overwhelmed… maybe that would help drive it up their agenda?

miketually
    Free Member

Social media gives us a voice with such stuff…

Does it though? Maybe I’m a touch out of sync but the twitterati claiming to give half a shit for one news cycle is not really getting your POV across or achieving any sort of sustained change IMO…

A day or two ago, there was a charming site appeared blaming cyclists who get killed or injured and branding them as silly ****.

Through twitter, the ad agency involved got a good kicking, and the site disappeared pretty quickly.

P7Pro

If you don’t think that she has done her job properly as a journalist, email her editor: http://www.express.co.uk/contact

cookeaa

the real problem which is dangerous driving.

No!!! that precisely what Express/Mail writers and editors want cyclists to say as it serves to polarise the debate…

Dangerous driving is one element amongst many which combine to make cycling less safe (note “Less safe” not “Unsafe”)…

I did keep stressing the FOR ALL element in my comments.

The key thing is to attack the issue on several fronts:

-Enforcement of the rules (y the Rozzers).
    -Education (TV ad campaigns, road safety talks etc focussed on both drivers and cyclists – Nobody is imune).
    -Town/Road planning.
    -finding a way to stop the Meeja engaing in cheap points scoring with “Our” safety (Probably harder than all the above put together).

It’s worth restating that Cycling is not a Dangerous activity.

one thing I can see however is a confluence of circumstance creating a bit of a peak in the injury and fatality stats for cycling based on more people taking it up due to :

1- The Olympic/TDF effect.
    2- Increases in fuel prices/Reduced/frozen incomes pushing commuters to look for chaeper alternatives to their cars..

More people on bikes = more accidents right? so the issue will come up the agenda sooner or later…

brooess
    Free Member

Sadly I suspect her editor is fully aware of this story and what it’s trying to achieve… clicks and frothing by a bunch of people who feel inadequate…

Which is why I like social media, we can bypass such gatekeepers and make our voice heard

richmtb

What a terribly predictable article.

Just missing “cyclists don’t pay for the road” for a 100% bullshit score.

loum
    Free Member

Foaming at the mouth, right of centre types buy the Mail/Express precisely because they reinforce their world view which of course includes a Clarkson derived claim to hate people on bicycles on the road, hardly groundbreaking.

You’re letting your own bias show by making such generalisations.
    Not everyone who buys a paper supports every word in it.
    It’s fair enough to attack the problem issues in a bit of writing. But if you expand that to attack a general readership, then you’re making unnecessary enemies and acting more like the writer you oppose than you may have realised.

brakes
    Free Member

“Drivers have to wear seatbelts, so why don’t cyclists”

articles like this are the death knell of the newspaper industry.
    ignore them. and those who follow such types of journalism deserve to drown with their sinking ship.

Not everyone who buys a paper supports every word in it.

then why buy it? fair enough for the broad sheets, but not the red tops.

andyrm
    Free Member

Inflammatory articles like this serve a very important purpose to news sites – they drive traffic and in turn revenue.

I used to do ad sales for a website that was owned by another national title (and funnily enough a very left leaning and supposedly moral one – the newspaper, not our site!). We would always try and get advertisers to book ads on a CPM basis, where they pay £XXX for so many thousands of page impressions. Our editorial team and directors would regularly allow forum posts and articles to run well beyond what would be deemed “acceptable” language, behaviour and content, solely to generate more clicks and in turn more money.

That’s what articles like this are – revenue generators, nothing more.

crazy-legs

It more or less follows this article word for word:
    The terrible journalist’s guide to writing an article about bicycles

It’s the usual article designed to provoke a response and the fact it’s been linked to on here, on Twitter, on FB etc shows that it’s worked. You may not agree with it but you’ve clicked through and generated ad revenue, people have signed up to their site to comment on it.

Nice one brooess – please let us know how you get on with BC.

BC campaigns on a slightly broader level than this. Getting involved in every single ill-informed debate on an internet news room is counter productive and believe me, there aren’t enough hours in the day!

DezB
    Free Member

Sadly I suspect her editor is fully aware of this story and what it’s trying to achieve..

You think the newspaper editor doesn’t give a monkey’s what sort of garbage is in the public domain, representing his publication?
    Even my boss cares that his staff produce accurate and credible work – why wouldn’t a newspaper editor feel the same?

DezB
    Free Member

It more or less follows this article word for word:
    The terrible journalist’s guide to writing an article about bicycles

Now that is a well written piece!

acidchunks

Anti cycling sentiment aside, she did open the article by stating her own mum is slag….

brooess
    Free Member

why wouldn’t a newspaper editor feel the same?

DezB – I suspect your boss is trying to do a good job. Anyone who applies for a job as Editor of a British tabloid knows full well what the game’s about – selling papers – which doesn’t require quality output! I doubt he/she is cut of the same moral cloth as your boss!

martinhutch

You think the newspaper editor doesn’t give a monkey’s what sort of garbage is in the public domain, representing his publication?

This is the Daily Express we’re talking about. Like the Mail, but without the quality journalism.

DezB
    Free Member

Good point, I guess. I don’t read newspapers so can’t say I fully understand what they are about.
    I have emailed the editor and included a link to The terrible Journalist’s Guide…

mrmo
    Free Member

sent a complaint through to the PCC i expect nothing to happen but it is discrimination and as pointed out change cyclist to Jew or black and it would be incitement.

rbrstr
    Free Member

her mum didnt have an affair with a “cyclist” she had an affair with a man who happened to ride a bike, and in lycra? that long ago? i dont think so. its not our fault her mum was a slag

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The AsEasyAsRidingABike article is very good.

We definitely need an anti-cyclist bullshit bingo rating system for these articles, maybe we should create an award for the most idiotic one containing the highest number of cliches. Obviously this wouldn’t win, missing out “road tax” is a schoolboy error.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Voice of Reason – Daily Express Royal Correspondent on Cycling’ is closed to new replies.