Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Virgin Tivo
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Think I’m about ready to ditch Tivo and get a humax box or something similar. Apart from recent price rises and paying nearly £50 / month for basic TV, basic interweb and basic phone, they seem to have started doing pop up adverts when I pause live TV. I think this may be the straw that breaks the camels back.

We spend most time watching Lovefilm or Netflix.

What are the best options for Freeview / freesat TV and reasonable speed broadband (say 20mb). Not bothered about a landline if I can get away with it.

dallas95
    Free Member

I have tivo and I don’t get pop up adverts when I pause live TV. Is it certain channels?

jon1973
    Free Member

Not sure. Seems to be intermittent. I’ll have to keep an eye on it. I think they must be running a trial. Never noticed it before today.

samuri
    Free Member

Dunno about transmission but we also have a Roku 2 box I bought off ebay for like 25 quid. Works great.

However, we have virgin Tivo and my wife loves it, it’s pretty good to be honest from my persepcteive,

patriotpro
    Free Member

TiVo is decent ime and do not get the pop-up adverts.

wrecker
    Free Member

Apart from recent price rises and paying nearly £50 / month for basic TV, basic interweb and basic phone

I’m no virgin fan, but for £50/month, we get broadband no other supplier can touch (proper fibre w/no line rental), a big old TV package and a phone we don’t use. Virgin isn’t brilliant but the alternatives are pretty shit. Particularly sky.

federalski
    Free Member

Imo the Tivo box is a pain in the arse compared to Sky’s boxes.
    Everything on the Tivo takes a few menus more to do than a Sky box, it is clunky and slow and just does not feel as user friendly.

I have had both for an extended time to let the Tivo seethe grow.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Sky interface is better than TiVo – agree with that. The remote is better too.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

The new Netflix app is good.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I found the Virgin Tivo software much better to use than Sky’s. And their BB is also fantastic. I really miss that (and struggle to get 7mb now in Oz)

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Just been through this after paying £65 a month for basic telephone, XL tv, 60meg broadband , TiVo box plus another box upstairs.
    Sky wanted about the same money plus it means my broadband would be landline , BT was cheap at around £38 but for only one box and losing a lot of channels and also the extra channels you get are streamed through your broadband so could be tricky at peak times with buffering.
    So I pushed Virgin to do something about my package price and I dropped down to L on the TV and they have done it for 43quid which I am happy with.

IMO – Virgin is probably not as slick as Sky but they are still streets ahead on broadband so I am glad to be sticking with them , getting a Smart TV today so hopefully will use the features like internet on the TV when the little one steals the IPad for her games etc

Moving my mobile from EE/Orange to Virgin Sim only too which will save me around £30 per month so all in all it’s going to be a net saving of approx £50 per month – happy days !

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Virgin Tivo’ is closed to new replies.