Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Vinyl to MP3 -easist way?
  • PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I've got a baby on the way, not much cash and gave up a carear as a DJ in 2004. I spent four years working as awarm up DJ for big gigs, touring with bands and working my way round allnighters and all manner of shady partys.

As a result I have approx 500 albums plus boxes of 7inches and ten inches etc of assorted indie, rock, rare groove, Northern Soul and funk. I want to get tem onto MP3 before I reluctantly sell them as I love having them, but rarely listen to them whereas I'm surgically attched to my ipod.

What's the eastist way to do it, is there a free download that will enable me to leave a record playing out and then go back and chop it into songs? can anything divide it up automatically through identifying gaps in the records?

I've got a good turntable and no cash so idealy want freeware that'll let me plug in and go.

organic355
    Free Member
    PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Herein layeth the catch.

I don't have any money, that's why I'm selling the collection so I can't splash £70 on a USB turntable.

organic355
    Free Member

If you can get the output of your current decks to go into your laptop somehow, probably via a soundcard of some sort then all you need is this bit of free software:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

cool, I can get it all running in that's no problems.

retro83
    Free Member

Do yourself a favour and rip to FLAC, give you more flexibility in the future to transcode to other formats

donks
    Free Member

Or just do what I am going to do and borrow your mates.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Cups hand to his mouth and hollors….

Anyone in Notts got a USB turntable that I can borrow?

Everywhen
    Free Member

Turntable into Amp, Amp Tape Out into Line in on PC run Audacity.
    Get the LAME Mp3 encoder and away you go many happy hours sat in front of the Pc making Mp3 files.

organic355
    Free Member

Some cheaper ones here:

http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/index.html/act/shop/id/119/process/cat

You could probably fleabay them when you are done?

organic355
    Free Member

many happy tedious hours sat in front of the Pc making Mp3 files.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Be prepaid to spend hour upon hour upon hour upon day upon day upon week, etc getting very bored. Very slow process

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Yeah, I was wandering (albeit nievely) if there was anything that I could use to put on side a – do the washing up, then put on side B and get a folder of files that just need naming.

I guess I could book a week of work and catch up on my box sets whilst I do it or just spend a week dancing through the alphabet from Abba to ZZ top. Hell it could be an STW drop in party.

organic355
    Free Member

You could try something like this: Vinyl to Digital but probably cost a fortune.

What records will you be selling btw, do you have a list? I maybe interested in the northern soul & funky stuff.

coffeeking
    Free Member

If you have a deck already, and a PC, you don't need turntables. For gods sake people, it's just audio – so long as the computer has a decent sound card capable of recording stereo at decent bitrates, and encode it to a lossless format (using audacity) you should have no extra purchase requirements or hardware needs.

Although it is very illegal.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I'll do a list in good time, most of the Northern is reissues from the warner vaults, but I've got loads of odds and ends. I bought to play them not as a purist looking for the white label in a matching sleave.

all manner of funk breaks, all the classics- Apatche, funky drummer etc as well as heaps of easy lsitening lounge type stuff- Rolling stones on the sitar anyone?

Expat
    Free Member

As cheesyfeet said – its going to be a long BORING job.
    not as bad with LP's as it will be with singles.

uplink
    Free Member

Or simply download them from bitTorrent, Piratebay or even Itunes if you're really stuck

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

After the first few hours, you get really bored of splitting tracks from albums

nickjb
    Free Member

What uplink said. What you are doing is illegal if you plan to sell the originals so you might as well just download them and save some time.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

TBH I hadn't thought about it being illegal, I thought that was just when you swapped the files etc. I thought this was like copying an LP to a cassete so you could listen to it in the car.

I would be surprised if many of these were out there on mp3 as lots are ancient gems from american garage & soul vaults of long ago.

Still you do have a point, time for a rethink perhaps.

iain1775
    Free Member

i have some griffin lead that converts the stereo plugs to USB, dunno how it works bought it for same reason but never got round to using it
    Im in Derby so close by
    email me if interested

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Isn't it possible to get signed up to spotify and then download for free whatever CD music you have?. I have no experience of this, which might be apparent.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Vinyl to MP3 -easist way?’ is closed to new replies.