Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 134 total)
  • Video games, they're not what they used to be
  • GW
    Free Member

monty mole was another bugged game making it almost impossible to complete

and isn’t that ^^ (Monkey Island) a pic from the re-make?

Cougar

used to be late for school everyday waiting for manic to load.

Have a look at this then.

monty mole was another bugged game making it almost impossible to complete

Not to my knowledge? Are you thinking of, ah, Monty on the Run IIRC, where you’d to choose your escape kit first?

Cougar

Re Manic Miner, I remember playing it on the GF’s laptop about 10 years ago. The weird thing about it was that I completed stage one (at the first attempt) exactly as I would have back in the 80s – and without losing a life. Was an odd feeling – like interactive deja-vu.

Muscle memory. I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago on a real Speccy.

seosamh77
    Free Member

the original doom was groundbreaking

Wasn’t it based on Wolfenstein? Or was it the other way around?
    EDIT – Wolfenstein was released in 1992, Doom in 1993.Aye wolfenstien was the ground breaking game, doom was just much better. Played them both when they cam out, wolfenstien was quickly forgot about after doom. doom2 was pretty much my favourite FPS up until unreal tourny came out in 99 i think!

crewlie

Same for me – Deadly and never progressed but IIRC to get to elite was several times more kills than Deadly so you really had to live on it to get there.

I reached Elite. Took ages, I’m afraid I did live on it. Greatest achievement of my life <sigh>
    It set a very bad example to my kids. One of whom ended up working for Codemasters testing games.

Cougar

I think the best I managed was Mostly Harmless… 😳

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

BBC Elite on tape didn’t have the Constrictor(iirc) mission which was necessary to attain Elite. Mo military lasers either.

martinhutch

The great time-eaters for me were Elite, Doomdark’s Revenge on the Spectrum, and the original GTA (2d) on PC.

Have recently expended a decent amount of time on the original Halo on PC though. Great fun. Am currently stuck trying to complete it again on Legendary…damn those Banshees…

Gunz
    Free Member

Halo on Legendary, now we’re talking. That’s a proper use of our short time on earth that I am proud to say I’ve managed on 1 and 2 and about to commence on 3 (I shall probably come blinking into the daylight in about a year with a severe Vit D deficiency).
    Martin, by the way, the pistol is surprisingly effective at range against the Banshees.

martinhutch

Pistol, really?

<nerd> I’m on the Two Betrayals level, trapped by a checkpoint with one knackered banshee vs four others. A rocket launcher would be nice, but appears to be unavailable </nerd>

Gunz
    Free Member

Nerd alert – From memory I presume you have just driven up a winding path in a jeep to a frozen plain with a tall central column in the middle and a nav point you have to fly to to take out one of the cores.
    If it is this, I used the MG in the jeep to take out the Banshees before I got in one myself and flew up.

theflatboy
    Free Member

you doom experts on the previous page are right, of course. such an awesome level as were all of them in doom, doom2 and quake. good times. 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

ok, any true gaming fans on here will have a little shiver of excitement when they see this:
    real life wipeout levitation track 🙂

GW
    Free Member

not really.. especially as it was posted already 😛

theflatboy
    Free Member

in this actual thread? 😳

it’s still awesome, anyway. 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

it’s still awesome, anyway

it’s still awesome fake, anyway

8)

theflatboy
    Free Member

oh alright. 😡 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

apparently there is a new one out so they are doing a viral campaign. 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

ok well that’s cheered me up again then, as i have always loved wipeout games. 😀

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Interesting not to see half life 2 mentioned in a thread of good games. just started my second play through it. Not looking forward to passing through ravenholme again.

I’m tempted by Skyrim but not sure how I’d find it with the repeated stuff mentioned by someone further up.

On the scary side of things has anyone tried Amnesia? I haven’t and don’t want to thanks.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Amnesia

I had forgotten all about that one.

Cougar

Get. Out.

molgrips
    Free Member

There have always been complaints about games being too easy. I remember reading in ST Format magazine 20 years ago that the Japanese market liked games that were easy to complete, and we didn’t. So game designers would make it hard or easy depending on which market they were aiming at.

Games that had me playing for hours and hours:

Atari ST:
    F16 Combat Pilot
    Elite
    Populous

PC:
    Half Life
    Half Life 2

Playstation(s):
    Wip3out
    GTA3

But the most absorbing game I have ever played, and one of the greatest OF ALL TIME is UFO Enemy Unknown. I played it on the PC and for many months I was either playing it or thinking about playing it – nothing else. I was upset when I finished it, and proper gutted when I found out the sequels were not as good. I got it on a budget label and there were no giveaways about what was going to happen or even what I was supposed to do. It was totally free-form in terms of overall strategy to achieve your aim, and you didn’t even know how you were going to do it at first. Contrast that with Oblivion where you know you are there to close the gates, and each mission aka quest is a predefined sequence.

sobriety
    Free Member

UFO Enemy Unknown

I’ve played that until I started having dreams about sectoids, and still never completed it.

If you want proper good story RPGs and don’t mind bad graphics then fallout 1&2 are amazing.

molgrips
    Free Member

I completed it! Yeah!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    Get. Out.

8)

I got embarrassingly into the Tomb Raider games too – I would lay awake at night walking through levels in my head trying to work out why I was stuck and if I thought of a solution I would have to get up and attempt it.

Cougar

Atari ST:

You missed Dungeon Master and Carrier Command. And every Infocom game ever.

I would lay awake at night walking through levels in my head trying to work out why I was stuck and if I thought of a solution I would have to get up and attempt it.

Thank god it’s not just me. Not Tomb Raider, but the number of times I’ve woken up at 4am going “that’s it!!” I started keeping a notepad beside the bed.

theflatboy
    Free Member

a notepad by the bed for gaming reasons is a novel new depth to which i could never imagine having sunk to!

good effort!

Anyone play Attik Attak (sp) on the Speccy? Loved that game (as well as Manic Miner & Jet Set Willy). Completed it, playing the odd hour here and there on a friend of the parents machine, as we couldn’t afford one.

dh
    Free Member

atic atac…. yeah that was a good un.

I remember really enjoying drawing maps of the games/levels, such as Saberman, knight lore etc. Don’t think you need to do any of that nowadays, games seem to “auto-map” so to speak. I really fancy a skyrim/fallout but not sure if I have enough spare time to dedicate to it.

Have we done balder’s gate on this thread yet?

spacemonkey

And every Infocom game ever.

How sad is this … me and a mate were well into some of their games and on one occasion we even phoned a bloke who put an ad in Zzap 64’s help page. Twas a Saturday afternoon IIRC and the solution involved giving a rose to someone.

I remember really enjoying drawing maps of the games/levels, such as SabermanSabrewulf, knight lore etc.

Same here. Started doing some in 3D/esoteric too, only to find them appear in the likes of Crash/Zzap etc within a couple of weeks.

Ultimate games rocked.

Cougar

To my chagrin, I never completed Atic Atac. I remember hand-drawing maps (which was a PITA because your start point wasn’t constant) and eventually had it all mapped out, even then it’s a solid game.

Sabre Wulf, I did complete. That’s a bugger as well because the amulet pieces aren’t always in the same place, but at least they’re consistently not in the same place; ie, once you’ve found one, you know where the others are.

me and a mate were well into some of their games

I’ve actually got Lurking Horror and H2G2 on my phone. Modern technology, gotta love it.

Started doing some in 3D/esoteric too

Isometric, though esoteric is probably apt. Did you ever map Alien 8? The map was the shape of the space ship; nice touch.

spacemonkey

Isometric, though esoteric is probably apt

Doh. I knew I had the wrong word because it should’ve begun with an ‘I’.

Did you ever map Alien 8? The map was the shape of the space ship; nice touch.

Don’t think we mapped that one – but do recall the shape. Remember buying it in Gamer, Brighton and then hammering it for a few days. Their Speccy games were so much better than their C64 efforts; Underwurlde etc vs Staff of Karnath etc.

Cougar

Ultimate never really clicked on the 64, I don’t think. Utterly groundbreaking on the Speccy though.

I vaguely remember a tale that Knight Lore was actually written a good deal earlier than it was released, long before Sabre Wulf et al. They held it back because they knew it’d destroy sales of every other game ever. May be an urban myth, who knows.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

i bought uncharted 3 last week and i have to say some of the levels are some of the best gaming i have played in years.

the shipyard level and the plane/desert are amazing.

the game was way too short (single player) and some of the levels were a bit ‘samey’.

rose tinted specs on though, nothing can compare to the old days of waiting for the spectrum to load a game then crashing just as it was about to start and then the amiga/st came along and it was like WTF and took it all to another level!!!!

Kevevs
    Free Member

Jesus, this is a real nostalgia-fest this thread. I remember going to Cardiff with my parents and bought Dynamite Dan on tape for my speccy. When we got back home to North Wales It wouldn’t load and I couldn’t take it back to the shop. Crash were raving about it and I got so frustrated with it I smashed up the tape! Loved all the Ultimate games. Jetpac! I was a bit mad for Dropzone on the C64, loved that game.

Cougar

Dynamite Dan was a complete sod to load, I feel your pain. Didn’t rate it much as a game myself.

spacemonkey

Dynamite Dan

I remember reading and re-reading a review of that during a 4hr car journey to see relatives in Hants. Got a copy soon after and, like Cougar says, found it a pretty pants. IMO it tried to be a clever version of JSW but lost the playability.

Cougar

See also, Technician Ted.

“How can we take Jet Set Willy and make it hard?”

(EDIT – I could probably have worded that better.)

lemonysam
    Free Member

Two old school games that kept me going for many, many hours and I never finished.

On the BBC Micro, we had a massively elaborate map which featured every screen but we couldn’t get across one of the very final sections.

Pandora’s box, even with an invincibility cheat we still never finished it, I’m not even completely sure we were close. I’d love to go back and have a proper run at it to see if it is easier as a grown up.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘Video games, they're not what they used to be’ is closed to new replies.