Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)
  • Video games, they're not what they used to be
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

the original doom was groundbreaking

Wasn’t it based on Wolfenstein? Or was it the other way around?

EDIT – Wolfenstein was released in 1992, Doom in 1993.

For me the one game that utterly and completely hooked me was Kula World – the game still goes for silly money (unfortunately I only had a hack copy) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KULA-WORLD-PLAYSTATION-1-PS1-PS2-ULTRA-RARE-COMPLETE-/360358948037?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item53e7112cc5#ht_1971wt_1180

theflatboy
    Free Member

never heard of kula world!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It was a real stealth game – not many people had heard of it but a friend was a prolific games copier and he gave me it. We would sit for hours and hours into the early hours trying to solve fiendishly complex 3D mazes complete with gravity.

We even invented drinking games around it (complete a level and pass to the next player. If they don’t complete the level they have a drinking forfeit and continue to have forfeits until they do complete – at which point they pass to the next player to play the next level – which obviously gets harder).

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’ve just seen on wiki that it’s on ps3 store download. might get it later on!

Northwind

RealMan – Member

Try playing dead space 2. I flat out refuse to play that on my own. Terrifying.

Resident Evil 2 made me scream so loud, the neighbours came round to see who’d been murdered. (the birds! aaaargh).

GW
    Free Member

never found a drinking game that allowed me to drink fast enough.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

I can recommend Far Cry 2 and Just Cause 2 if you fancy a lengthy single player game. Both can be had for about a tenner each if you look around.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

never found a drinking game that allowed me to drink fast enough.

Every played Beer Kart? Game of Mario Kart and a beer each. You’ve got to finish the beer before you finish the race, but you’ve got to be responsible, so you cant drink and drive. Great fun and lots of drinking 😀

16stonepig
    Free Member

I likewise cannot play Dead Space (or any other properly scary game for that matter).

I have made it through about 20 minutes of gameplay and refused to go any further. All that could be heard throughout the entire street was “AAAAAAAaaaaaaaargh!!! **** off **** off **** off **** offfff <stomp> <stomp> <stomp> <whimper>”

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I likewise cannot play Dead Space (or any other properly scary game for that matter).

I give you…

SILENT HILL Properly scary.

davidrussell
    Free Member

fallout 3: New Vegas had some scary moments down in those vaults…

mostly just bloody annoying moments where i would go round in circles for hours trying to get out.

t-obias
    Free Member

Me and a mate used to play Resident Evil 2 after college. He’d then have to get home going through 2 un-lit alleyways! He was never happy about that, surprisingly.

The first Condemmed game had the same effect. Got to the point where a body was thrown down some stairs with a message drawn on it saying ‘leave this place now’. Never did play it again after that!

From what’s been said above, looks like I may get Skyrim! Not sure the GF will approve….

tomaso
    Free Member

They are not what they used to be :mrgreen:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHn_BvTBALI&feature=related[/video]

edlong
    Free Member

Games went downhill after Zork IMO

Apart from Elite, obviously

Cougar

Scariest game I’ve played lately is Alan Wake. My real name is Alan, so having all the NPCs going “Alan?” all the time is proper freaky.

klumpy
    Free Member

Was playing Doom3 in the dark when a cat wandered in the window and pushed its face through the curtains. I screamed and dived off my chair while pointing the mouse at the cat and furiously clicking.

Alma the little girl in F.E.A.R. was quite scary too, the ‘appearing at the top of the ladder’ moment stands out.

Cougar

Re: Manic Miner,

http://www.bigredswitch.co.uk/games/mm/

JavaScript version…!

roady_tony
    Free Member

oolite for Elite fans, i’ve just started playing it, ah it brings back memories of B&W tv’s, 48k’s and tape loading and hours of fun…

DezB
    Free Member

Oh dear. Is this what my kid’s going to turn into when we get an XBox? 😥

Lifer
    Free Member

Doom 3 was pretty horrible, the ‘torch or gun’ choice led to a lot of keyboard fumbling when something leaps out at you. Demons don’t seem to mind being hit with a maglite.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Did anyone actually get to Elite status on the original BBC version? I swear I was ranked Deadly for 2 years or so & then finally gave up. I remember I had a key combo to get me into the Thargoid space any time I wanted when hyperspacing. Killed a lot of Thargoids in my career. Sigh.

nicko74

Another vote here for ‘no scary games’. Although I’m thinking that I’m only going to get closure on Doom 3 by playing it to completion…

FPSes now are a bit token, really, but as numerous people have pointed out, the crossover FPS/ RPG games like Fallout 3 do fill the gap quite well.

I’m currently grappling with Dark Souls. It’s not exactly non-linear, it just takes an effing long time to get past each stage. Also check out Batman Arkham City.

konadad
    Free Member

thanks cougar, thats me sorted for tonight

used to be late for school everyday waiting for manic to load.

just sticking some bluetack on my keys for that real spectrum feel

racefaceec90

theflatboy damn you sir (not really 😉 i know that is a level map of doom (i just cannot think of the level 😳 now i’m going to be trying to remember it for the next 6 + hours 😡 (shakes fist vigorously at theflatboy :-)p.s i remember kula world (had the demo of it).it was a great game (will have to find a copy of it someday 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

The thing that I found with Oblivion and Fallout 3 is that they may be big but they’re really easy and quite repetitive (unless you count going to a location to find a person different to going to a location to find a thing). Got bored of Fallout 3 when I got to the place with the big robot.

FPS nowadays really is all about multiplayer. Operation Flashpoint:Dragon Rising had a great single player but it was a lot better doing it online Co-op.

redthunder
    Free Member

@theflatboy

e1m6 doom map 🙁

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

theflatboy damn you sir (not really i know that is a level map of doom (i just cannot think of the level now i’m going to be trying to remember it for the next 6 + hours (shakes fist vigorously at theflatboy

I know the one – the part to the top left is a lookout tower.

I *think* this is a screenshot of it but not convinced…

Graham_Clark

Memories of many a happy hour/evening/night spent RPG-ing various nasties in DOOM, DOOM II, etc… And as for the BFG9000! Why don’t games have that sort of weaponry now?

racefaceec90

have decided to play doom to find out the level 😉 any excuse tbh 😀 you better start running minions of hell (starts up chainsaw 😈 LET THE CARNAGE COMMENCE!!! (sorry 😳

redthunder
    Free Member

it’s E1M6

16stonepig
    Free Member

Argh, I always had a complete blind spot for that level. Got lost every single time.

redthunder
    Free Member

For your Doom pleasure.

http://www.gameswin.biz/?busca=doom

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

it’s E1M6

You are either Geek2 or simply went on Google.

spacemonkey

Re Manic Miner, I remember playing it on the GF’s laptop about 10 years ago. The weird thing about it was that I completed stage one (at the first attempt) exactly as I would have back in the 80s – and without losing a life. Was an odd feeling – like interactive deja-vu.

clubber
    Free Member

if you’re not into playing online.

For me that’s where the current games like MW3 are best – I hardly bother playing the solo games now. Online’s so much better. IMO of course..

pedalhead – Member
    Did anyone actually get to Elite status on the original BBC version? I swear I was ranked Deadly for 2 years or so & then finally gave up. I remember I had a key combo to get me into the Thargoid space any time I wanted when hyperspacing. Killed a lot of Thargoids in my career. Sigh.

Same for me – Deadly and never progressed but IIRC to get to elite was several times more kills than Deadly so you really had to live on it to get there.

Ctrl-X while the hyperspace countdown was going for the Thargoid invasion 🙂

edit – elite numbers for ranking: http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/faq.htm
    2560 for Deadly
    6400 for Elite

spacemonkey

How about harking back to the miner’s strike a la the original Monty Mole?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isgNZnpe4g8[/video]

Javascript version here.

Twas bloody hard back in the day.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Fair play for remembering the key combo, clubber! I’d call you a geek but pot/kettle & all that

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Another great one from back in the day….

spacemonkey

Commandos on the 64

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDAhixO2t5w[/video]

Blooming addictive and with a classic Ron Hubbard soundtrack.

clubber
    Free Member

pedalhead – Member
    Fair play for remembering the key combo, clubber! I’d call you a geek but pot/kettle & all that

I got it wrong 🙂 It’s actually ctrl-X – I edited it to correct it 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘Video games, they're not what they used to be’ is closed to new replies.