Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Vexatious Dangerous driving reports?
  • stevious

Just been pulled over by the police because I was reported for attempting a dangerous overtake on my way home today. I 100% did not attempt any overtakes on the road in question, and was sat at or below the speed limit behind a lorry for that stretch. There is absolutely no way you could describe any of my driving as dangerous (I’d take it on the chin if there was).

I was pulled over just before I got home, and the PC told me I was getting a warning and told me to take my documents to a police station within 7 days.

Are bogus dangerous driving calls a ‘thing’ that happens nowadays?

What defence do I have against this? I don’t want some kind of black mark against my name for no reason at all.

redthunder
    Free Member

Do you drive an Audi or BMW by any chance ?

However, someone has probably got your picture or video doing the deed :-(. IF they hav’nt it means nothing.. for sure. [mayby]

Bit sucky if your innocent though.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Sounds like you pissed somebody off.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Hohum
    Free Member

Have you upset anyone recently?

I recall a thread on here about the police taking down registration numbers of those who had been reported for bad driving and then loading it on to their ANPR gizmos and then pulling people when they pass them.

The loading is just based on the caller’s description of what happened. Therefore, if you want to annoy someone then keep phoning the police and making up stories about them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

do you drive a q7 ….. i was on the verge of reporting one of them today for driving like a cock !

donsimon
    Free Member

It sounds more like a random stop and check, the police don’t have the authority to stop and check your documents unless you do something, but if someone else reports you…..

stevious

I drive a VW polo, and not very fast at that.

The police said someone matching my description (including the colour of my jumper and my glasses) had been reported.

I generally drive quite sensibly (occasionally over the speed limit, but never anything crazy).

Am going to the Police Station tomorrow to hand in my documents and will ask if I can make a formal report against whoever’s called me in, as there seems to be something funny afoot.

McHamish
    Free Member

The police have obviously solved all the good crimes and are looking for something to do.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Don’t sweat over it, there’ll not be any black mark against your name or anything like that, and unless there’s any strong evidence there’ll be nothing to defend yourself against (and I’m sure this would have been mentioned when you were stopped if there was).

Where I work we probably get half a dozen complaints a day at this time of year about erratic or dangerous driving. If we can trace the car then we’ll stop it, say hello to the driver, make sure they don’t stink of booze, check insurance if it’s not a hire car (90% are for these complaints), and off they go after a couple of minutes.

the police don’t have the authority to stop and check your documents unless you do something

Aye they do, they can stop any vehicle to check your driving licence, insurance and MOT. You don’t have to have done anything wrong, and they don’t have to give a reason for stopping you.

Stop and search requires grounds for the search of course, they shouldn’t be random, but not a straightforward vehicle check.

stevious

Thanks, greatape, that’s very reassuring to know.

toys19
    Free Member

I had this about 15 byears ago, a giffer accused me of overtaking him in a 30 on double white lines. It wasn’t true, I denied it and the cops told me it was my word against the giffer so it would go nowhere. It went nowhere.

MartynS

Have you recived a section 59??

If so these stay on PNC, I think for a year and if you’re stopped again for a similar offence (dangerous/anti social driving) they can sieze your car.

Post up on HERE for some really good advice

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Vexatious Dangerous driving reports?’ is closed to new replies.