Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • very small crack in carbon bars ??
  • KINGTUT
    Free Member

Still riding the Marin tomorrow?

clubber
    Free Member

Me? Marin? Not for several years. I'll be on my Kona.

hora
    Free Member

Just cut the ends off both sides and stick then on eBay as the latest trendy slim Japanese carbon bars, some fakenger in girls jeans will buy them (probably at twice the price you paid).

First dibbs

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Duuur yes..Kona.

Check it for cracks tonight eh.. 😉

clubber
    Free Member

Already done. And I'll be taking a spare bike 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

clubber – Member

Already done. And I'll be taking a spare bike

Bianchi? 😉

clubber
    Free Member

Well it'd be fast in places…

convert

Some strange creaky shit going down on my carbon road bike at the weekend – not had the courage to look properly yet though.

Carbon is great but it's lack of warning before failure is a little unnerving at times. I had a carbon seatpost on a road bike that looked just like that and rode it for years with no bother. No sure I would have done off road though, or on a set of bars.

hora
    Free Member

Has the seller been in touch? I personally think a good compromise would be for you to bin it and him to send you a refund. That'd keep me quiet. Either that or he'd have to arrange collection.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I was out on the road bike yesterday, carbon forks. Hit a large pair of potholes while braking hard with the front. Made two very loud and nasty sounding crack noises. Hunted for a while but couldn't find anything. Now paranoid!

hora
    Free Member

Have you checked your frame around the welds, handlebars?

Drop the forks out and check the steerer and have a good wiggle.

coffeeking
    Free Member

No, I've not gone into that much detail really, I checked the welds but didn't take the forks out – I limped home and put it in the shed. Might get it out tonight and do a more detailed look, don't really trust it until I see no problems!

hora
    Free Member

Do you have a vice? Steerer in vice (hard contact surface) then wiggle.

Forks- check halfway down the front of the fork. Sounds daft but Ive seen a few road ones fail on the tinterweb that failed in the middle of the blade/front?

Put it this way, if you go down over the bars I could be behind/alongside you in my car.. 🙁

coffeeking
    Free Member

😀 Yeah, I'll be giving it a full bending/going over (had to be careful with that one!). It's matte black everywhere so it should be relatively easy to spot a crack 😯

I'll try not to get under your wheels!

coffeeking
    Free Member
    swainey
    Free Member

yep getting a refund he wants the bars back 😯 !!!!! prob going to try and sell them on to some other poor F****R

coffeeking
    Free Member

Might want to use them as decoration. Hopefully.

Edric64
    Free Member

fakenger in girls jeans will buy them (probably at twice the price you paid).

First dibbs

You must go on the lfgss site as well!!

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘very small crack in carbon bars ??’ is closed to new replies.