Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Very OT – Which is the best vacuum
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Henry building our house:

In fact Henry has built two houses since 2002 and is still our vacuum at home. When he finally gets his last rites read, he will be reincarnated as another Henry.

globalti
    Free Member

As somebody esle wrote above, the “transparent” cleaners like Dysons which allow you to see what you’ve collected are smoke and mirrors, based on the simple notion that we feel good when we see a result. Dysons are a design nightmare, heavy, over-complicated, expensive and time-consuming to manufacture and aesthetically awful. Unfortunately there are many people who lack design awareness and judgement and are fooled by the hype.

br
    Free Member

A Henry is good as a close action small Vac perfect for a tradesman, whereas a Dyson will clean all of your house.

I think that you see Dyson’s been repaired because they are expensive, so worth it – the same way people repair Miele, but not Indiesit.

Drac

Why would you by a vacuum cleaner for it’s looks?

Seems to me some people have lack of practical knowledge and by something as it has a cute smiley face.

globalti
    Free Member

Even a moron can see that a Dyson is as near perfect a design as possible. It has a simple suction tube with an assortment of tools that fit without the need for a complex fragile catch. It has a massive unbreakable PE collection bin that is under a vacuum powered by a remote motor protected by a filter and a bag, which allows you to remove debris cleanly. It has a foolproof retractable cable. That’s it.

A Dyson on the other hand is a nightmare hotch-potch of hundreds of injection-moulded parts. Just the moulds and the colours must cost a fortune.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Miele Cat and Dog again here. Two rugby players, a mtb’r and big hairy German Shepherd in this household. Has a few annoying quirks but it could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch (the Miele that is not the dog)

Been through several Dysons – the extending handle / tube thing is a frustration par excellence. Perversely enjoyed throwing the last one in the skip. Not a fan.

sharkbait
    Free Member

We have had a Miele Cat and Dog for about 5 years and it’s been faultless. We also use a Henry at my Mums place it is also very good but agricultural.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Had a Henry for years and thought it was good until we got a dyson and was amazed at the amount of stuff the Henry had left behind.

Edit, it’s actually a George, Henry’s posh brother.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Henry.

marcus7
    Free Member

Ah, the old vacuum thread, a mainstay of stw, as ever mucho slagging of dyson the virtues of the henry and the odd interloper brand. I myself have both a henry and a dyson, to be specific a DC04 which is at least 12 years old and shock horror still works well AND has never needed repair. the henry is in the garage and is used in the cars and for post DIY clean ups. The henry is FAR simpler in construction and thus much harder to break (genererally they were first used as commercial cleaners and were expected to be abused). The dyson is an domestic cleaner and not expected to be thrown around and abused and maybe used a few times a week. It is complex in design and thus suseptable to abuse but then again i rarely break my stuff as i try and be careful with things so they last me longer. Still you pays your money as they say!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

We have a Miele & a Dyson (oooohhh, get us….)

The Miele is good, very good, but heavy. It also has a fault on the brush bar, which is driven by it’s own electric motor. I investigated fixing it, but had to sit down for a bit when it transpired that the parts to repair it would be min £150ish to max £360ish – just to get the brush bar thingy spinning again. So we got a Dyson (again, had them previously)

For the record, the Dyson is a much better sucker than the Miele, but the Miele ain’t bad

jfletch
    Free Member

Got to love SnobberyTrackWorld, or in the more nuanced example demonstrated here InverseSnobberyTrackWorld.

If STW had existed when the Dyson first appeared everyone would be saying how its the best thing ever, ingenious British design rather than the old technology of all the other brands trading on history and not function. But now Dyson are popular with the great unwashed they are the work of the devil.

CheesybeanZ

when our 5 year old Dyson set on fire ,(where the power cable goes in to the body ) we replaced it with a Morphy Richards performair pet one , HEPA filter , bagless and variable power , even came with a spare filter.
    much better that the dyson .imho.

ourmaninthenorth

+ whatever for SEBO. We have the Felix, even though we don’t have pets. Replaced a Samsung, which was sh*te.

We’ve had a Dyson, which I dumped in an fit of frustration after repairs never got it working that well again (long term effects of cleaning up during house renovations). In hindsight, it was the quality of the repairs, not the vacuum.

Henrys are great in a work environment, because they’re simple and robust. But they’re not the best vacuums in terms of cleaning.

ezzy
    Free Member

And another for SEBO. As recommended by our local vacuum repair man and no, not because they break down.

footflaps

Dyson – I use mine for building work, copes with sand, ash, cement, plaster dust, concrete dust, celotex (as long as not too big), saw dust, etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

bucket with a motor on it.

works for me , hoovers up stuff my parents dyson doesnt even look at.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Miele Cat & Dog cylinder vaccum,

+1 – Never thought I would get excited/passionate about a vacuum cleaner, but this thing is just awesome.

woody74

We have tried loads over the years including a dyson to pick up cat hairs, all crap and seem to have spend loads on vacuums that just don’t work well. Recently bought an own brand Argos upright for £50 and it is awesome. I have never seen anything with such power. Yes it basic and small and cheaply made but god does it pick up hair. One of my best ever buys

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4067829.htm

Our carpets are truly transformed. The first few sessions were just grim at the amount it picked up!!!

The only problem like all over bagless vacuums except the dyson is that the filter needs to be cleaned regularly. To be fair that is where dyson’s are excellent.

Pook

+a billion Miele cat and dog.

imn

We got a Sebo Felix Pet last year, and I reckon it’s really good. Quite heavy but excellent at picking up fur. Brush has it’s own motor (which can be switched off), and there’s a nice little turbo head for use on the hose. Feels like a tank compared to the few Dyson’s I’ve tried. Price was good too. Miele is probably similar

alfabus
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences. Henry.

Vern0n
    Free Member

Bought a Tesco one about 6 months ago.

tesco bagless

It has been great, and a bargain at any price. A steal at £40. Time will tell how long it lasts but faultless so far.

Filters need regular care but it can easily be pulled apart & cleaned.

edlong
    Free Member

Even a moron can see that a Dyson is as near perfect a design as possible. It has a simple suction tube with an assortment of tools that fit without the need for a complex fragile catch. It has a massive unbreakable PE collection bin that is under a vacuum powered by a remote motor protected by a filter and a bag, which allows you to remove debris cleanly. It has a foolproof retractable cable. That’s it.

A Dyson on the other hand is a nightmare hotch-potch of hundreds of injection-moulded parts. Just the moulds and the colours must cost a fortune.

I must be that moron, as your post has confused the dust mites out of me

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Miele cat and Dog, nothing comes even close.
    Meile, Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,Meile,……………………………………

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Miele Cat & Dog cylinder here as well. Replaced a Bosch upright which was pretty good, but very heavy. We also have a Dyson cylinder – lives in the garage for cleaning the car (to be fair we were given this, we’re not posh or owt).

Daughter is lovingly referred to as “the Afghan” – her long blond hair gets everywhere.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Very OT – Which is the best vacuum’ is closed to new replies.