Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Very Knowledgeable People
  • Trekster

Took me 3yrs and many test days(not as many as now)to find the right fs bike for me.

As above go to as many or ride as many bikes as you can.

In hindsight I would now as many others are doing buy a proper good hardtail. fs bikes are becoming too complicated and expensive to maintain long term.

Something else to consider is whether you can do your own maint?

grumm
    Free Member

btw surely it depends what kind of Enduro you are talking about doing – eg the Kielder Avalanche says…

Definitively not a DH bike – a light enduro bike is the best choice. The best bike is a Free Ride type bike, a COMMENCAL META 5.5 2007 is the perfect bike for this kind of race. But if you prefer a mini DH bike its up to you, just think that it will probably be a lot harder to go up hill than an enduro style bike.

I reckon my Pitch will be fine – you are not timed on the link sections, only the DH singletrack, but you still have to ride them within a certain amount of time. I suppose for a 24 hour event or whatever you would want something lighter though.

IHN

Not full suss, but more fun than falling in a big bag of breasts:

Fully built 456

Seriously. I’ve got a 456 and there are VERY few times that I miss full suss.

Poindexter
    Free Member

I guess that explains why there are so few people riding mountain bikes who’ve been at it for more than 10 years…

I bought my first MTB over 10 years ago, and I wouldn’t have considered anything fully rigid, even if it had been available.

Sus forks are probably the single biggest leap in progress in terms of rider comfort. To suggest that a beginner buys a fully rigid bike nowadays is just plain daft!

As an experienced rider whose forearms and wrists are used to taking a pounding, I’d rather eat soil than ride a rigid bike on anything other than a tarmac road.

akira

North congrats on getting the mtb bug, much fun ahead of you.
    STW is a helpful site but some people will seem to know what you want more than you do, find a bike you like that feels right and buy it but do your research.
    Sounds like the shop you went to was trying to upsell you, not uncommon but they were doing it with slightly odd advice, the FSR is a really good deal and currently you get 10% of Specialized accessories free when you buy a 2009 bike over £1000, worth bearing in mind.
    If you can find a good 2008 bike in the right size I’d definitely snap it up as most companies have had to increase prices or downspec for 09.
    From what you’re saying you seem to have the right idea, 120mmish full suspension from one of the big companies is a good choice.
    But getting a bike that you like and is the right size is very important, shops are useful but some will push you into something you might not want and don’t pick up a bargain that’s the wrong size just because it’s good value.
    As most people have said just get your leg over a few and you’ll find something you like.

North84
    Free Member

I cant beleive the ammount of posts this topic has gatherd .. really good advice folks, and again.. a top forum! I live in liverpool btw (was it molgrips who asked).

Akira its funny you mentioned dont buy a bike the wrong size just because its a bargain.. thas exactelly what I did with my current bike, went down to the lbs with 500 squid in my pocket told the guy that I want to get into mountain biking so he said, I have got the perfect bike for you, I sat on it and said im not sure mate, feels a bit big and he said mate that looks perfect so I bought it (2008 gt avalanche 1.0 disc for 400 quid size L, last one he had in the store). only now that I am going to trail centres it just feels too big and standing over the frame i have about an inch of clearence… Anyway thats a diffrent story all together.

Getting back to the 1500 full susser, a few people have said stick to hardtails etc.. yes I can see where you are coming from and thanks for your input.. I just think I would enjoy riding a full suuser more.. My gt hates to climb and I am geting fit but its holding me back I feel.. when climbing up rocky/bumby/technical sections my back wheel is bouncing all over the place and my arse is flying off the saddle LOL.

Thinking about it I can see myself going for the spesh fsr xc pro.. it wont be untill april the 1st tho, when work finally join the cyclescheme.. so in the meantime I will be improving my skill/fitness on my hardtail 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

I don’t buy into this stick to hardtails to ‘earn your stripes’ attitude as it were. 90% of the people I see out there on full sussers aren’t particularly good but are having a lot of fun and I really don’t see what they’d gain from going back to a HT…

I spent 10 years on rigid bikes, 3 on front sus and one on full suss. I do still run a rigid bike in order to ‘keep it real’ but I’m really serious about my biking and I do see the benefit of getting off the sofa bike now and again. For most people, I really dont’ see what they’d gain other than less fun and comfort.

I started my wife out on a full suss and it’s probably been the difference between her actually continuing to ride and possibly giving up after one ride.

North84, go buy your full suss and enjoy it mate! Just don’t get a Pitch, a lot of people have been caught up in the hype (woah, not aiming this at anyone on her in particular, just an observation on randoms I’ve seen out on the trail) and there’s many rolling around barely using any of it’s capability. In the spesh range, FSRxcs and Stumpys make more sense.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Very Knowledgeable People’ is closed to new replies.