Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Very interesting article on Cassettes
  • br
    Free Member

http://www.langsettcycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b104s307p7027&rs=gb

Hope Pro II freehub – 80g alloy vs 148g steel

Even XTR cassettes mark the hubs, but its the lightest 'affordable' option.

Northwind

"Lakes_Puma

I found it useful for narrowing down the bewildering choices of cassettes out there"

Nah, there's only 4 choices. Deore if you're cheap, SLX if you're slightly less cheap, XT if you're not cheap and XTR if you're minted. Oh, OK, 5 choices- SRAM if you don't mind paying slightly more for an equivalent product.

retro83 – Member

"FWIW i wish I had seen this 6 months ago before I buggered up my Pro 2's freehub body"

Hope amusingly put a little note in with my Hoops saying that any damage caused by spiderless cassettes is only cosmetic. How I laughed.

"simonfbarnes – Member

IMO it's silly to make a freehub out of cheese when a well 'ard metal would only be a few grammes heavier"

I think that's just because the alloy freehub body is the only thing that makes Pro 2 rears light- with the steel one it comes out much the same as an XT, and that'd be one hard sell.

solamanda
    Free Member

I don't understand how anyone can worry about the damage to the freehub. The freehub will far outlast the extra cost of these spider cassettes. By the time the freehub body is damaged beyond repair it would need replacement for bearings/prawls anyway. This is my experience of using cheap cassettes on alloy hope bodies.

mattp
    Free Member

could this be the answer – cheaper than xtr too

here

njee20
    Free Member

Just no.

A rather common occurence I understand.

Any cassette will mark the freehub, XT/XTR less than some.

tinsy
    Free Member

Hope used to do a choice with the old XC hubs, you could have either steel or Ti…

Would an XC Ti freehub fot a pro2?

Sam

to those who think it doesn't matter – bear in mind that gouged splines is not the worst that can happen to Al freehubs…

mattp
    Free Member

Just no.

A rather common occurence I understand.

Any cassette will mark the freehub, XT/XTR less than some.
    P

**** me – that didn't work very well. how much use did it take to do that much damage?

mattp
    Free Member

nice crayon skillz BTW..

njee20
    Free Member

Dunno, it's not mine, just remember seeing it before. There's talk on the same MTBr thread about them breaking teeth on the first ride and skipping within 300 miles, definitely a product for very dry races or the scales!

That also looks like a Tune Freehub if I'm not mistaken, all narrow splines. My one did something fairly similar!

tracknicko
    Free Member

friend of mine did something similar to a shimano cassette.

dont trust 4x racers. they'll snap anything!

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Very interesting article on Cassettes’ is closed to new replies.