Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 213 total)
  • vegetarian – why?
  • “… if so why?”

Because I have the ability to think for myself.
    If I lived somewhere where slavery or rape in marriage were both legal and socially acceptable, I wouldn’t do that either.

Is it time for that picture yet ?

toys19
    Free Member

Ahh hurt your feelings? I think you are taking this a bit too seriously, I thought our friendship was based on this to and fro..I seem to remember the last time we had this exact same discussion (well it was about hunting) your every other post was a gibe at me, I don’t mind at all. I come here for the banter, I was glad when you turned up.

DT said I think vegans are ok to give out a bit of stick to meat eaters, afterall they have the moral high ground.

Indeed I am happy to take it on the chin from vegans. They are most probably right. I just need to wean myself off lamb chops, liver, bacon and steak..

binners

Because I have the ability to think for myself.
    If I lived somewhere where slavery or rape in marriage were both legal and socially acceptable, I wouldn’t do that either.

And I’ve heard it rumoured that some veggies can be a tad sanctimonious and prone to melodramatic outburts. Not that I believe that myself. The comparison between rape and sausages seems perfectly reasonable

thomthumb
    Free Member

bigyinn – I find it’s the exact opposite,

+1

i’m supposed to have some good reasoned logic to why i abstain from eating certain things, and be ready to present and prefer for rebuttal at all occasions.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i doubt we’ll see many more vegans replying on this thread, they need to reserve their strength to breath… takes a lot of muscle and energy to type you know 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ahh hurt your feelings?

No, not at all fella. Was that your intention?

I think you are taking this a bit too seriously, I thought our friendship was based on this to and fro..I seem to remember the last time we had this exact same discussion (well it was about hunting) your every other post was a gibe at me.

I have no idea where you’re based but this could be a new defence, like the Edinburgh one or the Tower Hamlets one. Good work.

I don’t mind at all. I come here for the banter, I was glad when you turned up.

I didn’t turn up to trade personal insults – but don’t let that stop you.

toys19
    Free Member

Hmm reminds me of this

Which I’ve posted many times before, and whilst funny, I don’t wish to be derogatory to vegans.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Keep making convincing arguments like that Graham and I’m gonig to have no choice but to agree with you.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Each to their own I say, if you don’t eat meat fair enough. I love it though, a rare steak with some peppercorn sauce is a joy to eat.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Out of interest, would those who object to eating animals on the basis of the ‘not killing animals’ theme be alright eating the afterbirth of animal?

toys19
    Free Member

I have no idea where you’re based but this could be a new defence, like the Edinburgh one or the Tower Hamlets one. Good work.

lost me..

gonefishin
    Free Member

Actually, whilst we are on about it if any of the vegans on here could let me know where I can get sutiable fat to use in baking that would be great. I’ve used some of the PURE stuff that comes in tubs and is ostensibly spredable but that didn’t work too well, at least I didn’t think so. I’d like to know if there is any solid stuff that comes in packs like butter.

This is the sort of fallacious argument I was referring to earlier.

supertramp
    Free Member

thomthumb – I’m supposed to have some good reasoned logic to why I abstain from eating certain things, and be ready to present and prefer for rebuttal at all occasions.

No, In fact I think it’s better if you don’t! The most justified reason for following a particular dietary path is probably “because I want to”

It’s when people try to explain that the trouble unusually starts 😉

McHamish
    Free Member

mmm…meat.

BBQs must be boring at a vegan’s house.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

lost me..

Clearly you’ve been spending healthily little time on the forum of late. 🙂

binners

BBQs eating must be boring at a vegan’s house.

FTFY 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

Have you seen the price of meat these days?….I’d love to be able to afford to not be a vegeblearianist.

toys19
    Free Member

I’ve used some of the PURE stuff that comes in tubs

Works fine for us.

thomthumb – I’m supposed to have some good reasoned logic to why I abstain from eating certain things, and be ready to present and prefer for rebuttal at all occasions.
    supertramp
    No, In fact I think it’s better if you don’t! The most justified reason for following a particular dietary path is probably “because I want to”

It’s when people try to explain that the trouble unusually starts

TBH supertramp is right, if you just want to then that’s fine.
    I apologise if my little rant earlier made you think this, I have been berated quite severely in the past for my meat eating and killing ways, by people I then discovered were vegetarian, oh the ironing.

If you are vegetarian and want to leave me alone then that is fine. My rant was aimed at, and possibly I should have been even more specific, vegetarians who wish to berate/moralise meat eaters, and meat eaters who wish to berate/moralise meat killers. I’m a live and let live kind of bloke.

gonefishin
    Free Member

eating must be boring at a vegan’s house

it really isn’t you know.

Junkyard
    Free Member

sadly not enough little time. he does like the ad hominem banter though. He does it to me when you are not there. It is no fun being DD’s sloppy seconds in the internt baiting game. I am just not tough enough for his glib attacks [ ducks for cover INCOMING}
    Now DD let me cakll you names and goad you whilst pretning it is banter and we are somnehoe friends in this sport
    these threads serve no position bit to cause bitter pointless feuding
    Only on the internet do I get into arguments about this I almost never even debate it tbh in the real world

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

eating must be boring at a vegan’s house.

Eating must be boring if you have no imagination in the culinary department.

ransos
    Free Member

Why do veggies / vegans always feel the need to preach about it, like they’re saving the world?

I’ve never witnessed this. I have witnessed meat-eaters giving veggies a hard time though. It’s always felt a bit like guilt-shifting to me.

And I speak as a meat eater.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I only eat street meat.

binners

I do. I love cooking. Hence I fear I’d find a full-time vegan diet incredibly restrictive. I often look at veggie options to cook but generally find them uninspiring.

I’d be happy to be proved wrong if you fancy posting some recipes though

toys19
    Free Member

try harder JY, its always you and DD starting on me.I might make the odd annoying statement but it is always made personal by you and DD, I just respond. I’ll dredge up all the old threads and prove it if you want. If what you just said isn’t ad hominem (albeit veiled) then I’m a martian. You love a good fight as much as me so don’t pretend to be all pious, otherwise you wouldn’t have written what you just did, if you cant stand the heat. It’s time to grow a pair.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s time to grow a pair.

Sexist.

toys19
    Free Member

Sexist.

and proud.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Veganism strikes me as setting a fairly arbitrary bar, so I don’t really sympathise with it much. I don’t really know too much about it though I must admit.

At a BBQ a while ago somebody produced some vegetarian beer, and while I have no problems with vegetarianism I did find myself thinking “Vegetarian beer? FFS…”.

toys19
    Free Member

I do. I love cooking. Hence I fear I’d find a full-time vegan diet incredibly restrictive. I often look at veggie options to cook but generally find them uninspiring.

I’d be happy to be proved wrong if you fancy posting some recipes though

I recently spent a week in the company of my vegan/veggie mates and their cooking (lots of beans, idave would approve) was awesome. Need to get some recipes.

supertramp
    Free Member

toys19 – that’s the first time anyone has ever quoted or agreed with me on here! You have cured my being ignored complex 😆

philconsequence
    Free Member

why dont vegans refuse to use roads? loads of animals are killed to make roads….

are vegans against abortion?

would a vegan eat a carrot if i stuck googly eyes on it and drew on a sad face with a pen?

do vegans perform oral sex?

all valuable questions….

I fear I’d find a full-time vegan diet incredibly restrictive

Yes, with only 20000 edible plants in the world, it can get a bit repetitive.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

]It’s time to grow a pair.
    Sexist.

Depends what you were being asked to grow a pair of really

binners

What on earth do they put in beer that would make it unsuitable for vegetarians? I have the same thoughts when I see vegetarian cheese?

joao3v16
    Free Member

I think vegans are ok to give out a bit of stick to meat eaters, afterall they have the moral high ground

Only in their own minds.

Nothing morally wrong with eating meat.

What is morally wrong is the way animals are treated in the ‘production’ process.

Anyway, why else do we have lovely sharp canine’s other than for meat-eating 8)

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I have the same thoughts when I see vegetarian cheese?

That would be the rennet

toys19
    Free Member

supertramp
    toys19 – that’s the first time anyone has ever quoted or agreed with me on here! You have cured my being ignored complex

Given my popularity here you might come to regret it..

joao3v16 – Member
    I think vegans are ok to give out a bit of stick to meat eaters, afterall they have the moral high ground
    Only in their own minds.

Nothing morally wrong with eating meat.

What is morally wrong is the way animals are treated in the ‘production’ process.

Anyway, why else do we have lovely sharp canine’s other than for meat-eating

I don’t think there is anything morally wrong with eating meat, but at least vegans have a logical argument -generally they object to the killing of animals to suit human needs, when there are plenty of viable alternatives, because they think killing animals is cruel. I, and you it seems, either do not think it is cruel or do not care about the animals feelings, so we cannot be persuaded otherwise. I dunno which is right, but at the moment my actions are not legally wrong and I have yet to have my conscience pricked about the morals so I can only see it continuing. Although the vegans may be weakened by the issues raised here regarding the killing of animals to protect crops, build roads etc..

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

to the ‘i don’t like meat, and therefore i’m a veggie’ crowd –

have you eaten every type of meat, cooked in every way?

i mean, i don’t like sprouts or cauliflour (taste or texture), but i’d not write off EVERY type of veg just because of that…

i just lable you ‘fussy eaters’ 😈

binners

Yes, with only 20000 edible plants in the world, it can get a bit repetitive.

I presume you regularly utlise all 20,000. Do you grow them all yourself? Or do you employ the services of animal-slaughtering supermarkets?

I wonder how many species of edible animal there are? Cows, pigs, chickens……erm….. just give us a minute………. erm………

ransos
    Free Member

are vegans against abortion?

I imagine that they’d refuse to eat the embryo.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 213 total)

The topic ‘vegetarian – why?’ is closed to new replies.