Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 143 total)
  • Vaping in the workplace
  • teasel
    Free Member

Maybe you should try working somewhere that this stuff really matters.

You have no idea of where I work or have worked or what I do. But top marks for missing the point yet again…

🙂

Edit : To clarify. You come across like this guy on MOST threads…

…not just on this particular subject. That’s regardless of whether or not your opinion is fact.

juanghia
    Free Member

Only marginally less disgusting than fags, so no.

I’d rather have smokers back in pubs than breathe in some of the foul smelling dense fogs of sickly sweet shite that the chavs blow out walking down the street.

rugbydick

nealglover – Member
    Liquid nicotine is a hazardous substance, so the heli operators won’t carry it.
    I’m not disputing it, but I’m interested to know how hazardous nicotine liquid actually is (on a helicopter)

It’s UN class 6.1 (toxic) at concentrations above 1%, which brings it under transport of dangerous goods – even if you’re only talking about small quantities found in e-cigs. The heli operators won’t carry any dangerous goods without reams of paperwork (and even then probably not on a mixed passenger/cargo flight).
    Exploding chargers are the bigger hazard for me though.

But then again I’d have any form of smoking banned offshore, if they’d let me make the rules!

philxx1975
    Free Member

Nicotine is a drug no ? Makes you wonder where it would sit if there was a drug policy in place.

As far as vaping its no better than smoking, but as usual asshats that do try to justify it.

T1000
    Free Member

Bit off topic but, I’ve just recruited a guy via internal transfer and I’d been informally advised not to take him on as he smokes/vapes. It appears that people perceive that as he takes 10 mins out every hour or so he’s lazy/non productive.

There appears to be prejudice developing against folks who vape etc I’m glad I took the guy on based upon his interview as he’s excellent and works hard to cover the breaks (one of those who commented spends longer in the kitchen each hour)

Btw I’ve never smoked

nealglover
    Free Member

As far as vaping its no better than smoking,

In what way ?

convert

Bit off topic but, I’ve just recruited a guy via internal transfer and I’d been informally advised not to take him on as he smokes/vapes. It appears that people perceive that as he takes 10 mins out every hour or so he’s lazy/non productive.

There appears to be prejudice developing against folks who vape etc I’m glad I took the guy on based upon his interview as he’s excellent and works hard to cover the breaks (one of those who commented spends longer in the kitchen each hour)

Btw I’ve never smoked

I appreciate the irony of the other worker being as bad but a 10min rest break every hour (on top I presume of the entitled rest breaks) is a lot of resting. Working hard the rest of the time doesn’t cut it as you are meant to be doing that anyway. Unless there is a culture of 10 minutes off every 60 for all then thats ok. I don’t think that’s anti smoker/vaper just equity in time off. It’s smokers who feel entitled to 10 mins off every hour in addition to the coffee making breaks, the toilet breaks and a full length lunch break who give the rest a bad rep as workers or colleagues.

philxx1975
    Free Member

In what way ?

In as far as keeping your dirty second hand chemical shit to yourselves,I dont mind used CO2 but the rest of the stinking crap.

Drac

I dont mind used CO2

Probably just as well you would struggle to breath without it.

teasel
    Free Member

CO2 is deemed an asphyxiant gas, isn’t it. So not really…

tjagain

In my workplace smokers / vapers don’t get any extra breaks 3 breaks in a 13 hr shift.

Cougar

a 10min rest break every hour

Whilst they said it’s “perceived” rather than actually the case, that’s almost working a four day week!

The biggest issue I have with smoking at work is that the same concessions must be offered to non-smokers. Do they get the same time off in not-smoking breaks?

I’m lucky enough to work in a fairly relaxed environment, so it’s a non-issue. It’s a bit more regimented in call-centre areas as coverage has to be managed, but outside of that people can go for coffee / smoke / play pool as they feel the need.

Cougar

3 breaks in a 13 hr shift.

Unless the law is different in Scotland, or I’m misremembering which is entirely possible, that’s breaking the law as you’re legally obliged to a 15m break every four hours.

FuzzyWuzzy

As is the usual, it’s banned where I work under the no smoking policy. I can’t say I really mind it though, I wouldn’t want someone blowing huge vapour clouds over me but generally it’s a fairly pleasant second-hand smoke experience.

binners

In as far as keeping your dirty second hand chemical shit to yourselves,I dont mind used CO2 but the rest of the stinking crap.

You sound like fun. You do realise…..

😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You do realise…..

If you didn’t you might have had time to come up with something creative there… 😉

These days you just end up cold and wet missing half the conversation

convert

but generally it’s a fairly pleasant second-hand smoke experience.

Got to admit I don’t mind it either. It might well turn out to be double hard nasty but there are far worse smell experiences than being vape clouded. I have a bit of a coffee problem but share an office with someone who hates the smell – I’m probably just as antisocial knowing that and still continuing to drink it if not more. My argument is that without coffee I’m a total arsehole (even more so) so I’d be a total hypocrite to think differently of the nicotine addicts.

Due to family circumstances I’m very anti smoking but struggle to get too excised about vaping.

tjagain

Cougar – Moderator

3 breaks in a 13 hr shift.

Unless the law is different in Scotland, or I’m misremembering which is entirely possible, that’s breaking the law as you’re legally obliged to a 15m break every four hours.

I am fairly sure its up to 6 hrs one 15 min break, 6-10 a half hour break no more than 6 hrs without a break. We are actually well above the legal minimums -2 of the breaks are unpaid, one is paid

P-Jay
    Free Member

We don’t have a current policy, of the 19 people in my office, we don’t have any smokers / vapers.

We did have this strange lad working for us for a bit, The Hippest Hipster you’ve ever met (although he hated the term so we stopped using it), American too, spent a few years traveling South America teaching kids English and somehow ended up here. He fired up this massive looking thing once in the smallest office in the building he shared with one of the directors, within 30 seconds our interim policy was decided on and it was classified as a paddling offence.

I don’t like the smell of them, I know they’re supposed to come in all sorts of flavours, but they all seem to smell the same. I believe the way the industry came from no where to huge in a few short years is suspect, as is the claims it’s completely safe, or safer, or slightly less deadly than smoker – depending who you ask, I fear the true risk factor won’t be known for many years, I hope they’re as safe as they claim to be, but I have my doubts, until then, I’d rather not second-hand Vape.

Scapegoat

teasel – Member
    CO2 is deemed an asphyxiant gas, isn’t it. So not really…

Chemoreceptor Negative Feedback

Negative feedback responses have three main components: the sensor, the integrating sensor, and the effector. For the respiratory rate, the chemoreceptors are the sensors for blood pH, the medulla and pons form the integrating center, and the respiratory muscles are the effector.

Consider a case in which a person is hyperventilating from an anxiety attack. Their increased ventilation rate will remove too much carbon dioxide from their body. Without that carbon dioxide, there will be less carbonic acid in blood, so the concentration of hydrogen ions decreases and the pH of the blood rises, causing alkalosis.

In response, the chemoreceptors detect this change, and send a signal to the medulla, which signals the respiratory muscles to decrease the ventilation rate so carbon dioxide levels and pH can return to normal levels.

Source: Boundless. “Chemoreceptor Regulation of Breathing.” Boundless Anatomy and Physiology Boundless, 21 Sep. 2016. Retrieved 20 Mar. 2017 from https://www.boundless.com/physiology/textbooks/boundless-anatomy-and-physiology-textbook/respiratory-system-22/respiration-control-212/chemoreceptor-regulation-of-breathing-1039-6384/

teasel
    Free Member

Thanks. I stand corrected.

And it’s always nice to have a technical rather than pissy response.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Not allowed on our offices either – it’s treated the same as smoking.

The QS’s are all in a satellite office just up the road from the main one, and I don’t even know where the smoking area would be (no one smokes or vapes among us). Quite a few smoke / vape in the main office.

seosamh77
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    Thanks for that, guess I just like rules…. Or have seen too many times what not paying attention to them means for people. Maybe you should try working somewhere that this stuff really matters.

Ahh so now I know what you do, ASDA manager! 😆 Very important stuff you know, harrumphh! 😆

Drac

Cheers Scapegoat saved me a lot of typing.

mattyfez

philxx1975 – Member
    Nicotine is a drug no ? Makes you wonder where it would sit if there was a drug policy in place.

As far as vaping its no better than smoking, but as usual asshats that do try to justify it.

Tea and coffee contain caffeine, also a drug. The key differences are that they, like nicotine don’t really intoxicate or impare you like, Jack Daniel’s or cocain would.

Drac

Key difference is that someone drinking coffee tends do not enter the blood stream of those sat near them.

nealglover
    Free Member

Key difference is that someone drinking coffee tends do not enter the blood stream of those sat near them.

That may be relevant as to its social acceptance, but not particularly relevant in the context that mattyfez was replying to (drug policy)

And even related to its social acceptance, “passive vaping” has been studied independently and the conclusion so far is that it poses no risk.

tjagain

neal – no actually the conclusion was they could not prove a risk. Not the same at all. Nor could they prove it safe.

Drac

So far yes. Tobacco once was seen as a health benefit.

T1000
    Free Member

Thankfully for folk where I work, performance and quality are valued far more than attendance. If my team want to spend 10mins an hour poisoning themselves and can still meet their obligations then that’s ok. I’d rather they didn’t vape etc but that’s just because I’d rather they look after themselves etc

mattyfez

The key point is no one is saying vaping is healthy, they are just saying, and the evidence supports it, is that is lot safer than smoking tobacco.

The nicotine in tobacco is addictive but not particularly harmful in the doses required when smoking or vaping, it’s the burning and inhalation of all the other chemicals in tobacco that cause health hazards.

To put it into context, walking down a busy high street with all the diesel cars is probably far more dangerous than passive vaping.

nealglover
    Free Member

neal – no actually the conclusion was they could not prove a risk. Not the same at all. Nor could they prove it safe.

I’d be interested to read the source of the research, I’m going on second hand info

(although in my defence, it was from a doctor so I presumed it to be reliable)

tjagain

Neal – its really a semantic point. One of the conclusions from the report IIRC was it should be treated as dangerous as it has not been around long enough to know what the long term effects are.

to say its less dangerous than tobacco smoking is fair enough. To say there is no evidence of harm at the moment is fair enough. To say it is harmless is premature

Edit – I think the links are here
    http://www.nhs.uk/news/2015/08August/Pages/E-cigarettes-95-per-cent-less-harmful-than-smoking-says-report.aspx

nealglover
    Free Member

Neal – its really a semantic point.

If you say so.
    Your interpretation of the current research is very different from that of my doctor
    I was just interested to read what you read to reach that conclusion.
    (I will ask the doc the same thing now, as it seems it’s not as cut and dried as she made it sound)

Edit- this is a genuine concern rather than starting an argument.

mattyfez

Well the fact is nicotine is poisonous, that’s a given, it’s scientifically proven, so vaping, by definition cannot be harmless.

However, the miniscule doses of nicotine in smoking and vaping are essentially harmless in the context of all the other chemicals present in tobacco, nicotine is simply the addictive component, it’s all the other stuff in cigarettes that’s highly carcinogenic. And those chemicals are not present in vaping liquids.

teasel
    Free Member

Drac » Cheers Scapegoat saved me a lot of typing.

I’m sorry but there’s no way you could’ve written anything as eloquent as Scapegoat and most definitely not without being pissy.

🙂

tjagain

Neal – I am a pedantic git if you haven’t noticed whereas your doctor would be trying to give you the basics simply

Drac

I’m sorry but there’s no way you could’ve written anything as eloquent as Scapegoat and most definitely not without being pissy.

Well given I scored 100% when I had to write about the mechancis of breathing some years ago scoring a high disctinction I’m not sure you’re right there.

I also didn’t need to cut and paste. 😀

Blimey over 20 years ago come to think of it.

nealglover
    Free Member

Neal – I am a pedantic git if you haven’t noticed whereas your doctor would be trying to give you the basics simply

I can’t find anything in the links from the page you posted that says passive vaping is anything other than harmless/ of a risk.
    I may have missed something as I haven’t read it all. However I certainly haven’t found any conclusions, as you suggested, that say it should be considered dangerous ?

teasel
    Free Member

Well given I scored 100% when I had to write about the mechancis of breathing some years ago scoring a high disctinction I’m not sure you’re right there.

Blimey over 20 years ago come to think of it.

Hmmm. In all the years I’ve perused this forum I’ve yet to see any evidence of your penmanship keyboardmanship, so perhaps the passage of time has taken its toll. I suppose I’ll just have to take your word for it.

I was right about the pissy bit, though, wasn’t I…

EDIT : 😛

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Vaping in the workplace’ is closed to new replies.