Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • Vaping and driving
  • GrahamS

You can find stories of iPhones being damaged because people plug them into an iPad charger “because it charges faster”

Can you?

I do that all the time and Apple explicitly say it is fine:

Your iPad comes with a USB power adapter. You can also use this adapter with your iPhone and iPod.

While these USB power adapters are designed for use with your iPad, you can charge all iPhone and iPod models by connecting them with either a Lightning to USB Cable or a 30-pin to USB cable.

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202105

The only stories I’ve seen like that are from people using dodgy Chinese-clone chargers they got off eBay for a quid.

LapSteel
    Free Member

‘vape’ on a plane

Didn’t they make a film about that?

mefty
    Free Member

You keep asserting that smoking has been outlawed, I can’t find any reference to this other than if a under 18 is in the car when i search. There is an important reason not to have a highly prescriptive lists of don’ts, if the law is highly prescriptive there is a danger that individuals (and indeed the courts) will take the view if something is not on the list, it is ok. A more general approach, such as we have, gives much more room for the law to develop with the march of time and new innovations.

yunki
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B7Ws8tuEaQ[/video]

hammyuk
    Free Member

No mefty – I’m not actually.
    Read what I’ve written not what you think I’ve written.
    Smoking has been added as a descriptive to the same list as the likes of eating/drinking and therefore has specifically been named as a distraction liable to cause driving to fall below an acceptable standard.
    I’ve not once said its illegal to smoke but it bloody well should be!
    As should vaping and ANY OTHER activity causing you to require to use your hands thus lessening control of a vehicle.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve not once said its illegal to smoke but it bloody well should be!
    As should vaping and ANY OTHER activity causing you to require to use your hands thus lessening control of a vehicle.

There are enough laws to prosecute, they don’t need more they just need enforcing.
    Regular sights on the M62 of a morning a few years back were people eating cereal in a bowl (as in one form the kitchen), women doing their make up, people on the phone. If you can’t catch them with cameras then they just end up mopping up after.

khani
    Free Member

In the same vein what about all the cars that come with touch screen ‘infotainment’ systems built into the car? menus for everything with sub menus and built in wifi all on a big screen in the middle of the dash,,
    or is that a step too far for your Teutonic VankerWagons…
    We should just ban everything, including Monday morning internet whining…

mefty
    Free Member

You said eating an apple while driving is illegal and then said smoking had been added to the same list. None of these activities are illegal – however, if they cause you to fail to drive without due care and attention, you can be prosecuted. There is an important semantic difference because the present law could be applied equally to vaping – the only difference is that at present vaping is not noted in the CPS guidance, but that has no force in law.

EDIT: it is also worth noting that the CPS guidance only talks about lighting a cigarette.

D0NK

if the law is highly prescriptive there is a danger that individuals (and indeed the courts) will take the view if something is not on the list, it is ok.

this already happens doesn’t it? In fact people read bits of the highway code and see “you should not” and say “ah it says should, that means it’s legal”

hammyuk
    Free Member

Eating an apple was used as an example – due to the fact that there was very high profile press coverage of said prosecution where the force concerned pushed ahead with it despite advice to the contrary.
    Ergo – case precedent and as such that can then and has been used to proffer other convictions since.

The list the police use is a “descriptive” – ie an act likely to cause the standard of driving to be lowered.
    Eating is a descriptive.
    Drinking is a descriptive.
    Smoking is a descriptive. (to be smoking you HAD to have lit the bloody thing!)

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

or is that a step too far for your Teutonic VankerWagons…

Several countries are looking at bringing in legislation to minimise/prevent the amount of crap that can be done while the car is moving.

Unless the industry can put their own guidelines in, and then follow them.

So i suspect it’ll be banned soon.

mefty
    Free Member

Ergo – case precedent and as such that can then and has been used to proffer other convictions since.

I think you have got two cases mixed up. A woman was fined for peeling a banana while stationary but accepted the fine and never appealed it. The apple one was a woman turning a corner holding an apple, she lost her appeal before the magistrates – decisions by magistrates do not set binding legal precedent.

binners

Where do we stand on picking your nose at traffic lights?

mefty
    Free Member

Where do we stand on picking your nose at traffic lights?

We do not stand, we sit … on a high horse.

epicyclo

Wow, the vapid addicts sucking on dork sticks don’t half get wound up. 🙂

Marin
    Free Member

Out of interest is it illegal to smoke crack and drive or just illegal on the possession front?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yes.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

vapid addicts sucking on dork sticks don’t half get wound up.

Or is it just a response to the often patronising and sanctimonious views of many none smokers??

Merak

Every time I see a victim vapong

I think;

squirrelking
    Free Member

Someone needs to make a vaper that plays that.

I think you just beat “sucking on a robots dick”

epicyclo

sofaboy73 – Member
    ‘vapid addicts sucking on dork sticks don’t half get wound up.’
    Or is it just a response to the often patronising and sanctimonious views of many none smokers??

Nah, getting wound up is the typical reaction of addicts when something threatens to get between them and their “precious”.

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Vaping and driving’ is closed to new replies.