Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Vans- wheres best to search/buy from
  • hora
    Free Member

Evening. Is there a specific place? I tried autotrader but gave up. Other than ebay, any tips or is it pot-luck and just set up alerts and settle in for a long wait?

After a Vivaro/Traffic or Hi-Ace to convert as a longterm project but want a sound-non abused <5yr van with <80k if possible.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Hora – email me – might have something.

hora
    Free Member

Its smaller than I was looking for; ideally a SWB Traffic, Vivaro or later Transit. Do they still rust?

bigad40
    Free Member

Vantrader.
    I have bought 2 used from dealers found on Vantrader.
    Both had big miles.
    Both have been cool.
    Toyota hiace. Bombproof.
    Merc vito. Bits fall off but its great to drive.

deepreddave
    Free Member

I used ebay, autotrader and owner’s forums looking for T5. Found one that hasn’t sold on ebay in a few months, was right spec and at the lower end of the price range. Private seller some 2hrs away so bought it and have now spent £2k replacing things like the clutch, dmf, suspension mounts, parking sensors etc which at least means they won’t occur again in my ownership. Got another c1k needs to be spent so all in all not a bargain but it’s a minefield out there!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I bought mine from STW of all places!.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Wasn’t on about the Caddy Hora!
    Have a LWB Trafic Crew that needs a gearbox bleed going for considerably less than retail
    One previous owner and only 70k miles.

steveh

Gearbox bleed? Rebuild? I could be interested in that too.

In terms of places hora – ebay, gumtree and autotrader. Hiace are just uncommon vans so you don’t see many of them anywhere. Vivaro/trafic/primastar are much more popular – All the same van made in Luton just different badges and trims.

RustyNissanPrairie

Have a 07plate Lwb Transit welfare/crew van for sale, 240v power, microwave, eberspschear heater, sink hot and cold water, boiling water urn/kettle.
    Owned for 3years been great for biking, camping trips.

jairaj

I recently bought a van and found Autotrader by far the best website to use. The user interfacer and wide range of options to help filter your results made it very simple to narrow down the choice to exactly what you want.

If you are not finding what you want try changing your search criteria a little bit to figure out why you are not finding what you want.

Eg if searching for a LWB Traffic with air con.

First try increasing the price range to see if there simply aren’t vans in your price range.

Then try changing the spec options eg removing the air con or LWB filter.

Might turn out there just simply aren’t many LWB versions about regardless of price or other features.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I got mine from Autotrader- a 2.0DCI 115bhp Trafic.

Its ex-AA, and was 4 years, 8 months old. There are a few traders that take them from auction, tidy them up a bit (if needed), and sell them on.

If you do it this way, you’ll need to pay the VAT on it.

The good thing about ex-AA vans is that they tend to be pretty well looked-after. The downsides are: they’re invariably yellow, some of them aren’t cosmetically all that great.

As an aside, there is something I’ve just learned about that goes wrong on Trafic/Vivaro/Primastars, and thats the gear change linkage. This is cable operated, is a ball and socket, and wears out on the ball side. The problem is that the ball is on the selector fork, and doesn’t seem to be available as a separate part.

My MOT guy spotted it, and pointed out that the ‘standard’ fix had already been applied- some cable ties wrapped around it. Apparently this can last for years, but when it eventually goes it can be a pain to fix.

However, I googled and found that these guys:

http://www.matlocksystems.com/

have a £10 fix for this in the form of a clamp. I fitted it in under 10 mins, and the slight sloppiness that had crept into gear changing has all gone.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Its the Quickshift gearbox.
    Had a bleed at Vauxhall along with a new sensor but needs another one and the clutch too possibly- All boils down to them using a stupid design on an o-ring from new that lets pressure drop because it allows fluid out.
    New design o-ring stops it – just needs another bleed and the ecu resetting – I’ve not the time or the inclination anymore so someone can get a bargain.

jairaj

codybrennan, thanks for that link. I also have a Traffic 2.0 DCI 115hp, didn’t know about this problem.

Is there a certain year where this happens or is it on all models?

Where is the ball and socket joint located? Is it through the bonnet or under the car? I’ll take a look at my van later tonight.

Drac

If anyone is in the market for a van in a few months time there’ll be one appearing on the classifieds I reckon. 😆

steveh

Sorry Hammy – not keen on auto’s too many variables and big bills.

hora
    Free Member

Drac you big naughty bear 😀

codybrennan
    Free Member

Hi Jairaj- seems to only affect the 6-speed box. Over time (mine has done 130,000 miles) the ball on the top of the selector fork wears, enough for the gear cable’s clip-on end to get a bit loose.

If you open the bonnet, find the airbox/filter housing. Look to the right hand side of it, you’ll see a thick flexible air-pipe coupled on.

Now, look directly down, into the space below the hose- by shining a light down, you’ll pick up the clutch bell housing, and above it, the selector fork, with the gear change cable attached.

Have a look at the video on the page I posted above, the guy shows how it needs to be done. Took me 10 mins.

Have a look on Ebay, he does them for £9.99- if you can, buy from him as he designed and developed it, and there are a lot of copies out there. I reckon he deserves the money for this simple and ingenious fix.

Leigh
    Free Member

I also had the same issue with the gear linkage and had to put one of them clamps on to fix it. Although I did find out after it came off and left me stuck in 1st

codybrennan
    Free Member

Has yours been ok since Leigh?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What do you want the van for Hora?

I remember a thread a wee while back that you said you had the same needs as me, but IIRC one of those was 3 seats. I was the same, as we have 1 child, and always wanted a van but was planning on waiting until the mortgage was done, and a Vito was top of my list as it’s not as big as the likes of the Vivaro.

Well, a random purchase has sort of pickled that idea, and I bought a Transit connect – albeit a LWB high top. It’s brilliant.

It has a bed big enough for my 6’2″ frame to stretch out on, a stove and loads of storage. Didn’t cost me much, but was from a trusted source on here, and if it lasts me 2 or 3 years, I’ll be delighted and will learn what my next van will require.

I can’t see me ever not having a van now!.

Leigh
    Free Member

I ran it for another 2 years after and never had anymore trouble. I have now swapped it for a newer one which probably has the same set up but haven’t looked at it.

Drac

Just saying what everyone else was thinking. 😀

marty_mayhem
    Free Member
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Vans- wheres best to search/buy from’ is closed to new replies.