Viewing 40 posts - 1,801 through 1,840 (of 2,058 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2015-2016 season
  • smokey_jo

Just had my first day skiing in deep powder, I never knew it was going to be so different. Absolutely shattered but started to get a feel for it on the run home, still shoot mind

DezB
    Free Member

Dezb , you could go somewhere with your mate?

You mean you’d go with a snowboarder?? I’ll email you – that would be bloody awesome 😀

[edit]He’s mailed me already 🙂

Bunnyhop

I’m donning the sorels and going for a stroll along the canal after lunch, because its the nearest I’ll get to skiing this season, as its snowing lots.
    Whoop whoop 🙂

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Just had my first day skiing in deep powder, I never knew it was going to be so different. Absolutely shattered but started to get a feel for it on the run home, still shoot mind

It’s a totally different experience, eh?

My first day in any sort of powder was a cluster ****. Kept crashing, catching edges, digging skis out of the powder. Nighmare. Couldn’t see what the fuss was about. Next time I’d picked up some tips and changed how I was trying to ski it and, wow, suddenly you see what all the fuss is about 😀

stevomcd
    Free Member

Steve mcd might do us a super swervy if we ask very nicely perhaps?

Always open to discussion… we do have a little bit of space for that week.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m donning the sorels

Joan of Arctic, I assume?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member
    smokey_jo

Indeed whatnobeer Day 2 was much less crazy although not without a spot of ski mining. All mountain skis helped enormously. Looks like it’s another powder day today so more practice is in order

Rockape63
    Free Member

Just checked Le Clusaz web cam and its dumping! Reckon Jamba might have too much snow! Looks perfect for next Friday when I arrive there though. 8)

grum
    Free Member

Just waiting for my skis in Geneva airport then train/bus to Grimentz. Hope there’s not too much snow! 😀

singletrackmind

SteveMcD .- dont worry about us, we have booked a deal for Claviere.

Another Rocket ski bargain . £299 flight , transfer and half board accom.
    There is also a 25% discount on Lift pass as well.
    Hopefully the snow will still be in good nick in a weeks time.

Bunnyhop

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    I’m donning the sorels
    Joan of Arctic, I assume?

Ooooh those look very enduro. My own are a bit plainer than those, and much older. So warm and snuggly though. That gorgeous sound when you squeak through the fresh snow. 🙂

Not sure what’s happened to the quote button, I can’t get it to get into the box as usual!

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Innsbruck Fluglhafen is a shitty airport and a really small one too.

But Hintertux rocks!

shifter
    Free Member

Agreed on both counts Mr Hills! Could be here a long time yet.

GrahamS

Hintertux rocks!

Yay! Glad you liked it 😀

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Cracking day in Whistler. 50+ cm in the alpine and 30 everywhere else. Wee bit heavy lower down and a very busy day being a weekend powder day and all, but really fun to blast down so pretty full on runs a full whack with bug surfy turns 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Transfer made a bit of a meal of it getting over through Les Gets and lots of drivers getting stuck before putting their chains on. Including our “professional” driver 🙄 I’ve never seen so much snow on the roads over to Morzine

Arrived in the dark. Have just raised the blinds to check how the Roc d’Enfer is looking…

It’s going to be a good few days 🙂

Coffee then the ski shop for a mate’s skis and up we go. There will be pics.

cobrakai

Just back from Sainte Foy. Massive thanks to Stevo, Iona and the chalet staff for making our first skiing trip with our 11month old daughter a success! She had a great time! The food was the best I’ve had on a trip!

Unfortunately my wife picked up an injury mid week so missed the best of the powder towards the end! Such a great resort. Only 4 chairs but the variety of terrain and off piste ment I was never bored.

Having James there running the back country course for the 6 other guys in the chalet was invaluable for advice on the best tree runs!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Rockape, last minute change of plans we are in Peisey (better accomodation option and ofher friends in area) Very snowy around Annecy as we went past. Lots of fresh snow and blue skies 🙂 Photo later.

Drive from Paris was bit meh in parts with huge jams going North (end school hols) around Beaune. Lots of snow on road but fortunately not too bad on resort road. Other Brits here said snow was bad between Calais and Paris (longitude of)

igm

Stoner – I saw the snow reports earlier on. The numbers look fantastic, and the pictures better. Now keep it cold until we get there in a couple of weeks.

wallop

I’m off to Morzine next weekend – it’s gonna be 10 degrees when we are there 😥

jambalaya
    Free Member

Stripy cow more interesting than pictures of deserted slopes (and/or yoirs truely) 🙂 Aux Enfants Terribles, La Plagne in the distance

@Stoner I think you’ve had more snow, here in Peisey the off-piste is about 15-ccm deep. Pistes in very good condition, bit chilly when cloudy but we’ll survive 🙂

GrahamS

Big slide at Mont Chery today according to Morzine Source.
    Multiple burials. They are asking people in the area to check they know where their friends are 🙁

AVALANCHE MONT CHERY: We're going to keep you posted on this as another update is expected in a minute, there was a big…

Posted by Morzine Source Magazine on Sunday, March 6, 2016

Rockape63
    Free Member

I can’t believe The Jump on C4, it’s just a bunch of pissheads enjoying themselves! I’m only watching it to get me in the mood for my trip next week! ?

beanum

According to this, no-one was found so that’s good news…
    LeDauphine

tinybits
    Free Member

Just back from Sainte Foy. Massive thanks to Stevo, Iona and the chalet staff for making our first skiing trip with our 11month old daughter a success! She had a great time! The food was the best I’ve had on a trip!

Unfortunately my wife picked up an injury mid week so missed the best of the powder towards the end! Such a great resort. Only 4 chairs but the variety of terrain and off piste ment I was never bored.

Having James there running the back country course for the 6 other guys in the chalet was invaluable for advice on the best tree runs!

I was there as well with Venture Ski. Had 2yr old and 5 yr old so couldn’t do my normal first and last lift, a little grey on the 2nd day (skied straight off piste as I couldn’t see the edge!) but what epic conditions the last 2 days! So much powder, and then some sunshine on Friday. Bloody loved it. So pleased my 5yr old enjoyed skiing (and managed to ski down from the first 2 lifts). Shame my 2 year old “hates snow daddy – it’s yuck” He’ll learn

cobrakai

Yeh Monday was soup but still managed above the clouds for an inversion and nice view of mont blanc before it disappeared! Good stuff on your 5 year old managing top 2 lifts.

I was about the tenth person off the marquise lift when it finally opened on Friday morning. Possibly the best powder run from I’ve ever done.

grum
    Free Member

Untracked powder almost all day today. Amazing. Still not as good as snowboarding though!

Here’s me getting a tiny bit of air on the last run of the day. 🙂

tinybits
    Free Member

Ha, you were 5m in front of me in the queue then! Longest 10 mins ever wondering if it were going to open! I’ve already booked next year….!
    Oldest kid was with a ski school called snowcool. Highly recommend.
    I’ll try to post a pic up of the inversion at the top of the Marquis lift, stunning (although a pig getting back to the bottom!)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

grum, psikk braw!

🙂

grum
    Free Member

grum, psikk braw!

Standard fam.

*high five*

😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

@grum 🙂

Today will not suck

Rockape63
    Free Member

You lucky lucky b@stards!

Enjoy!

cobrakai

[video]http://youtu.be/lLJo8GQO6BY[/video]

Tinybits, this was 3Rd run down on Friday

DezB
    Free Member

Blimey. There’s some pow! I wanna be there NOW!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@cobraki enjoyed watching that ! As I’ve posted before Ste Foy is great “little” resort, went there for first time in 2012/3 with White Room not least as Stevo posts and runs mtb hols too. Powder doesn’t get tracked out so fast and when I mentioned it to regular off-piste skiers at Val/Tignes they say guides take people there quite often and they’d all skied there. Pre-Christmas 2014/5 wasn’t so good but there was hardly anything open in Tignes either. The day we left it dumped massively. Good for families as its easy to do half day, pop back for kids etc.

Just fyi folks the videos is from a week ago, not quite as good as that now but certainly no complaints !

cobrakai

It was a great run. I was actuality on tellies doing it but my powder technique with them needs work so played it safe and stayed with alpine turns.

We went to the restraunt at the bottom lift most days with the baby and the staff were great with her. On Thurs and Friday definitely noticed a couple of groups with a guide who sounded like they’d came from val for the day.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Tinybits, this was 3Rd run down on Friday

Looks fun! Love skiing through the trees on a pow day. Don’t do it by yourself though – perfect conditions for getting stuck in a tree well.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It was a great run. I was actuality on tellies doing it but my powder technique with them needs work so played it safe and stayed with alpine turns. Until I fell over at the end.

FTFY! 🙂

Looks lovely! Very jealous.

grum
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1,801 through 1,840 (of 2,058 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2015-2016 season’ is closed to new replies.