Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Vancouver.
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

In Vancouver for a day or two. What should I see or do?

I can’t afford to go to a hockey game, as much as I’d like.

Cheers.

Burts
    Free Member

Starting with the most obvious: North Shore biking?

Otherwise: Stanley Park seawall walk/ride, shopping downtown, walk around Lynn Canyon (North Shore again), anthropology museum at UBC if supposed to be good.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Yeah I would, don’t have a bike with me!

I’ll look up those other places thanks.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Because you’ve only got a couple of days, wander round the city, its a fantastic place and not that big.

We spent 6 days there in March and we were surprised how compact the city is, as for things too do,

I’d go to Granville island market and take a boat trip.

Have fun,

Matt.

Mugboo

We enjoyed the sealife centre in Stanley Park. And as above, have a walk along the harbour and wonder why you born in Bradford (in my case).

But really your just killing time you can get to the mountains 😉

Burts
    Free Member

If you do want to ride, many shops do decent XC/AM rentals. I have no personal experience of renting from them, but I think your best bet would be Different Bikes in North Van. Best to phone ahead though, because it is off-season and who knows what that the current situation is.

http://www.differentbikes.ca/products/rentals

They located at Parkgate Village, base of Seymour mountain. Use Translink for bus schedules, I think the 211 bus goes downtown Vancouver to Parkgate in about 40mins.

From the shop, you’re about a 2min road ride from the base of the mountain trails. Buy a map at the shop. If you’re used to typical UK XC/trail centre riding then do an out & back again loop along the Bridle Path. If you want something steeper and more typically North Shore, go up Old Buck (steep) > Baden Powell (go west) and then descend on Pangor or Severed D. Give yourself 2hrs for these, maybe 3hr daylight to be safe as only some of the routes are obviously marked.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

We enjoyed the sealife centre in Stanley Park. And as above, have a walk along the harbour and wonder why you born in Bradford (in my case).

Ha ha. So true. I got insanely jealous of all Vancouver-ites. Surely the best city on earth. (imo…)

2nd Granville Market.
    Grouse Grind
    I also went to a CFL game, which was a right laugh. Pretty much like a cricket game, crowd getting drunk, not paying much attention to the on-field action.

JonBurns
    Free Member

When you say “can’t afford an ice hockey game” do you mean the canucks? We caught a bus slightly out of town and saw the giants play. Think its a youth team but it was ace $20 each? (Plus bus fair and snacks) and a massive brawl at the end…you defo get into the spirit and well worth going.

youngrob

Have dinner in Guu in Gastown. The sashimi is amazing.

john_drummer
    Free Member

+1 Stanley Park
    Chinatown

michaelmcc
    Free Member

When you say “can’t afford an ice hockey game” do you mean the canucks?

Yeah thats what i mean lol..

80 bucks for the cheap tickets.

Thanks for all the info..

Burts
    Free Member

+1 Giants game, unfortunately next home game isn’t until Wednesday.

chakaping
    Free Member

Unironically tell MTBers you meet about town that you are “stoked” to be there and that their bike is “rad”.

Personally I’d want to get a ride in at all costs if I was there for more than a day.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Breakfast at the Arms Reach Bistro in Deep Cove.
    Grouse Grind or Gondola to the top of grouse, and whilst in the area have a wander around the Capilano Dam.
    Drive up Cypress to the viewpoint.
    Hire a bike and ride around Stanley Park, English Bay and Kitsilano Beach.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Hire a retro cruiser from Spokes bike shop and do a circuit of Stanley Park.
    +1 for Granville Island.
    If you want something a bit different go out to UBC & have a look around the Museum of Anthropology. Superb west coast Native American collection. There’s also a beautiful Japanese garden out that way too, if memory serves me right.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Granville Island is tops, I can recommend the crepes there too!

Hmmmmm, maple syrup!

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Well I walked from main street where I’m staying all the way past the science museum and along the coast path then got the boat over to granville island and back which was very nice. Whats up with the old doosh bag P!ssing everyone off with his outrageous singing though! Like one of the worst people on britains got talent, that type of thing.

Walked over to Stanley Park and got lost for a few hours, then went the Auqarium which i regretted the minute i got in. I was nearly kicking kids out of the way so i could get anywhere.. not literally but the buggers were everywhere!

In Chinatown now, not really bothered to do anything though! Shattered from all the walking.

aidso
    Free Member

Head up to Grouse Mtn and go to the Capilano Suspensio Bridge on the way. I am crap with heights and was shiting myself walking across it – not helped by kids pogo’ing up and down in the middle.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Vancouver.’ is closed to new replies.