Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 245 total)
  • VAG Diesel Owners – what now?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

I think ours only started with 130 odd bhp in the first place, so that’s going to be annoying isnt it.

jimjam
    Free Member

Stoner

I think ours only started with 130 odd bhp in the first place, so that’s going to be annoying isnt it.

Well that was for the 2.0 TDI 140, so I presume it’ll vary for each engine. It’d probably be noticeable the first time you drove it away from the dealership if you like to “make progress” but it’s debateable whether the average diesel box driver would really miss it.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I received my letter from VW yesterday. Really is beyond belief. No apology and the royal crest stuck on it to give them more gravitas! It’s almost as though we’re meant to feel sorry for them as they made a genuine mistake.
    Vw, in my opinion you miss sold me a car. I bought the car as I liked the way it drove. You can’t just expect to change that and for me to be great full to you for “doing your utmost to minimise the inconvenience”.

Now your offering to (most likely) de-tune it. But hey that’s ok as you’ll make my car shi**er “and at no cost to me”.

I see there are a lot of these ambulance chaser type law firms now looking to sign people up to take action. Does anybody know anything about these? No doubt you’d end up giving most of anything you were awarded to the law firm?

jimjam
    Free Member

dalesjoe

Vw, in my opinion you miss sold me a car. I bought the car as I liked the way it drove. You can’t just expect to change that and for me to be great full to you for “doing your utmost to minimise the inconvenience”.

Now your offering to (most likely) de-tune it. But hey that’s ok as you’ll make my car shi**er “and at no cost to me”.

Are you practicing that speech before you go down to the VW dealers to complain? I think it needs work tbh.

Edukator
    Free Member

The dealers are as much the victim in this as the customers. I think Joe puts it perfectly but it needs to be aimed at VW HQ.

michaelbowden

Is there any evidence yet that these car don’t meet EURO regulations? Everything I’ve seen is about not meeting the US NOX regulations and the software cheat was to pass these.

So from what Ive seen so far, there’s no need to alter the performance/mapping of EURO models. The FIX may just be removing the cheat software which would never have come in to operation in Europe anyway.

If that’s the case all your cars will drive just the same with or without the FIX.

If the above is correct, then no one in the EU has been miss-sold a car, it’s just as clean as the advertising etc. And the ambulance chasers hopefully won’t make a bean.

jam-bo

all this talk of VED re-classification if you don’t have the remap/solution.

if you go for an aftermarket remap, should you be declaring this to DVLA?

is there going to be a market for the car tuners to ‘restoring’ your car to its original performance?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Edukator makes a very good point about the dealers being victims too. I would imagine a large number of dealers are looking at getting a financial settlement from VW.

Strictly speaking those here demanding a full refund may find legally VW is only liable for the repair / compensation for loss of value. It’s not as clear cut as some people think, it may well be the cheat software only impacts the Californian emissions test and if the cars would have passed the Euro tests anyway at the time they where sold then there is no wrong doing (Apologies of this has been covered in earlier pages, I recall seeing discussions on Euro 5 vs 6 tests)

dalesjoe
    Free Member

No, I’m not practicing a speech thank you. I’m just somewhat pissed off after having shelled out the best part of £13k four weeks ago on a car that may well end up being worse to drive and certainly worth a lot less if I decided to sell it on. I bought a car with 170 bhp. If I wanted the less powerful engine I’d have bought that.

I agree completely that the dealers are also victims of this. I bought mine second hand and have no issue with the guys that sold me it. I actually feel for any car deslers with VAG diesels sst on their books right now.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Stoner – Member

Unfortunately ours is s/h so probably can whistle.

Maybe not, I once had a letter to recall my 6 year old Passat (at the time) I was the 3rd owner. I think they get the keeper details from the DVLA.

If there’s a power drop, I won’t be giving mine to them.

Edukator
    Free Member

All the evidence from the US testing says that the cars wouldn’t have met the EURO 5 NOx targets without the cheat software. If the cars get below the 2009 180mg/km on the Euro test without the cheat software and a remap VW won’t have problem in Europe. We won’t know that until the remaps are released and someone can test the cars.

jimjam
    Free Member

I’m just somewhat pissed off after having shelled out the best part of £13k four weeks ago on a car that may well end up being worse to drive and certainly worth a lot less if I decided to sell it on. I bought a car with 170 bhp.

2nd hand I presume?

michaelbowden

Edukator – Troll

All the evidence from the US testing says that the cars wouldn’t have met the EURO 5 NOx targets without the cheat software. If the cars get below the 2009 180mg/km on the Euro test without the cheat software and a remap VW won’t have problem in Europe. We won’t know that until the remaps are released and someone can test the cars.

Have they actually been retested to see if they meet EURO 5 standards, by an approved testing agency?

Surely they need to be tested prior to the remap.

Or is this all just supposition based on a completely different test carried out on another continent?

andytherocketeer

All the evidence…

what evidence?
    all I’ve seen is media sensationalism, lots of rumour and supposition, and millions of people (and journalists that did journalism at college, rather than automotive engineerinf) that have suddenly become experts overnight in the petrochemical industry and technology behind how a car engine works.

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s not a supposition but it is based on a completely different test carried out on another continent, the results were all over the nNet a few weeks back. And logic, if VW’s current models met Euro 5 without the cheat software there wouldn’t be a recall.

michaelbowden

Edukator – Troll

It’s not a supposition but it is based on a completely different test carried out on another continent, the results were all over the nNet a few weeks back. And logic, if VW’s current models met Euro 5 without the cheat software there wouldn’t be a recall.

The US cheat software would not activate under the Euro test. It was written to run under the specific testing that the US regulations require. So if they required a cheat to meet EURO 5 regulations it would have to be a separate cheat!

Alternatively, they wrote one map that ‘met’ worldwide regulations, albeit with a secondary cheat map builtin to meet the US regulations. And the EURO recall could be to ‘just’ remove the illegal secondary map.

andytherocketeer – Member

All the evidence…

what evidence?
    all I’ve seen is media sensationalism, lots of rumour and supposition, and millions of people (and journalists that did journalism at college, rather than automotive engineerinf) that have suddenly become experts overnight in the petrochemical industry and technology behind how a car engine works.

^^^^^ this.

scotroutes

I thought they’d already said that the 1.6 needed an injector change?

Edukator
    Free Member

The US cheat software would not activate under the Euro test.

Now that really does need a link to back it up because the Euro 5 test uses exactly the same unrealistically light loads as the EPA test.

Which allows for cycle beating

michaelbowden

Edukator – Troll

The US cheat software would not activate under the Euro test.

Now that really does need a link to back it up because the Euro 5 test uses exactly the same unrealistically light loads as the EPA test.

I’m not saying they haven’t cheated the EURO test with the same method nor that they have either. But if they have it must be a different cheat map to the US one.

For the ECU to switch to the cheat map it had to recognize a specific set of circumstances. The US test may be just as unrealistic to real life driving as the EURO one, BUT the testing is undertaken differently so the EURO cheat (if there is one) would need to be looking for a totally different set of circumstances.

EURO test procedure

US test procedure

As the Euro test is much easier to pass (on the NOX front) than the US one, and EURO cheat could be much less restrictive to the engines performance.

Edukator
    Free Member

There’s a graphic representation and comparison of the tests here. Given that the Euro test is even more gentle than the US one I don’t see why the cheat software wouldn’t recognise it as abnormally light use. VW have already said that the same software concerns all cars in all markets.

michaelbowden

VW have already said that the same software concerns all cars in all markets

But not that it activates anywhere other than the US test

wwaswas

Associated Press: BREAKING: Volkswagen discloses additional suspect software in 2016 diesels, delaying new models.

oops.

tinybits
    Free Member

I got my letter yesterday for 2009 audi A6 with the 2.0tdi 140bhp.

No information on the ‘fix’ other than it’ll be early in the new year.

I’d feel amazingly smug due to having sold the car a few weeks before all this broke, except I replaced with a (yep you guessed it) VW….. This one’s got a 3.0tdi engine so not sure if affected,
    I also have another 11 Passats, Golfs and Tourans mainly with the 1.6tdi engines (one 2.0) all of which are leased, so hopefully I won’t be impacted too hard for those!

P-Jay
    Free Member

tinybits – Member

I got my letter yesterday for 2009 audi A6 with the 2.0tdi 140bhp.

No information on the ‘fix’ other than it’ll be early in the new year.

I’d feel amazingly smug due to having sold the car a few weeks before all this broke, except I replaced with a (yep you guessed it) VW….. This one’s got a 3.0tdi engine so not sure if affected,
    I also have another 11 Passats, Golfs and Tourans mainly with the 1.6tdi engines (one 2.0) all of which are leased, so hopefully I won’t be impacted too hard for those!

According to the info that VAG sent me (I’ve got a Seat) only the 2.0 1.2 and 1.6 engines are affected so your V6 is fine.

Reading between the lines it’s all the Common Rail Diesels (aka the CR engines) as apposed to the earlier PD engines.

Which pretty much means any VW, Seat, Audi, Skoda, 4 pot diesel they’ve sold since 2009, certainly 2010 onwards so your lease cars will all be subject to the recall.

tthew

Just been discussing this with our site accountant at work. She’s not in the slightest bit worried about the performance of her 2.0 Golf, as “they’ve just got to change the software a bit”. Couldn’t grasp that the software is actually controlling the engine.

I’m glad she’s in charge of spreadsheets, and not going near the operational bits.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Well, inevitable has happened the lovely people of Leigh Day have sent me an e-mail

“VW owner? you may be entitled to compensation”

For what exactly???

I’m not Californian, I had no idea what amount of NOx it put out, or what it was meant to put out – I knew the Co2, but that’s it.

br
    Free Member

Maybe not, I once had a letter to recall my 6 year old Passat (at the time) I was the 3rd owner. I think they get the keeper details from the DVLA.

Yes, but that was for a recall and there is legislation that covers that and how it works – this isn’t a recall as per the legislation.

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/help/voluntaryrecallsystem.htm

Edukator
    Free Member

Well in Germany it’s going to be a forced recall. They still haven’t said exactly what will be done’ but have said that the 1.6 engines will require new parts as well as a remap.

Bild

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Well in Germany it’s going to be a forced recall. They still haven’t said exactly what will be done’ but have said that the 1.6 engines will require new parts as well as a remap.

Bild

Not only in Germany, but compulsory recall Europe wide, affecting 8.5m cars in Europe, including hardware modifications…

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/58975016-720f-11e5-9b9e-690fdae72044.html?siteedition=uk#axzz3olB2LSF0

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/77499ae6-7354-11e5-bdb1-e6e4767162cc.html#axzz3olB2LSF0

Stoner
    Free Member

A calm piece on possible origination of the defeat device
    http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/an-engineering-theory-of-the-volkswagen-scandal

Inbred456
    Free Member

I wouldn’t feel too sorry for the dealers. Apparently Virtue group have been buying VW based dealerships ie Skoda Seat and Audi as well as VW so they can cash in on the bonanza of repairing all these cars that VW will be paying for!

footflaps

Although warranty rates are not that profitable for dealers, the car maker sets them at something like 70% of the list price for normal work on a per garage basis. The wife has just been auditing all her dealers to set their warranty rates for the next 12 months…

v8ninety

Why don’t people just say; no ta, I’d rather keep my car performing as per when I bought it, thanks. I’m fairly sure they are not going to change the VED massively on cars that have already been on the roads for five years, surely?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think most people are going to wait and see how the recall effects the way they drive – there’s bound to be a few super keen types who’ll jump in early.

Unless it somehow improves things I probably won’t have mine done – if I had a 1.6 instead of a 2.0 I’d be tempted though, injectors seem to be one of those things that die eventually and always cost a fortune a fresh set will likely last you as long as you keep the car.

Andy_K

My landlord friend has just been able to get out of the lease contract for his Amarok as VW has effectively breached it. Total lease cost of £75 for two years i belive.

epicyclo

v8ninety – Member
    … I’m fairly sure they are not going to change the VED massively on cars that have already been on the roads for five years, surely?

If it is justified, they should, but it’s VW who should be paying the difference…

konabunny
    Free Member

I wouldn’t feel too sorry for the dealers. Apparently Virtue group have been buying VW based dealerships ie Skoda Seat and Audi as well as VW so they can cash in on the bonanza of repairing all these cars that VW will be paying for!

I don’t know much about the business but it seems unlikely that this would make sense just to pick up the warranty work. Sure, you’d get a couple of hours of discounted labour per car but your sales and finance business would be smashed.

wilburt
    Free Member

Cant you see there is some serious “brushing under the rug” going on, stop asking difficult questions.

P-Jay
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member

v8ninety – Member
    … I’m fairly sure they are not going to change the VED massively on cars that have already been on the roads for five years, surely?

If it is justified, they should, but it’s VW who should be paying the difference…

Not in the UK anyway, the Government said very early on that it had no intention of reclassifying any existing vehicles.

More importantly VED is based on Co2 emissions, not NOx/

epicyclo

BTW a new scandal is about to be revealed.

You know when you’re in a lift and a foul miasma becomes apparent and folk always blame the homeless looking guy?

Well, it’s actually VW owners, They’ve been getting away with emissions fraud for years…

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 245 total)

The topic ‘VAG Diesel Owners – what now?’ is closed to new replies.