Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Vacuums – Are Dyson worth it?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Can’t say I have ever really had too much of a problem with emptying the Dyson (save for last week when one of our little girls had the cylinder in her hands having managed to unclip it – fortunately I caught her before she figured out how to open the little flap).

I DO find seeing the crap flying around somehow satisfying though – it makes me confident things are working as they should (as well as reminding me how dirty our house always is 🙁 )

molgrips
    Free Member

Do it indoors and you’d distribute most of the dust back into the house. Do it outside and risk it blowing all over you

There’s a knack to it 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There’s a knack to it

Get the wife to do it?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Miele cat & dog cylinder… forget the dyson.

Z1ppy speaks much good stuff. Had ours for at least 4 years and it’s sucked up everything 3 girls and 2 spaniels can drop perfectly. Can’t see us getting another for a very long time.

Taff
    Free Member

I’ve had a few when living in rented accommodation and found them brilliant. Got a henry at the moment so a bit of a downgrade but we’ve been looking at the Vax Pets vacuums which are a 1/3 of the price and built to the same kind of standard with flimsy plastic important bits.

footflaps

Dyson fan here – have two including an 8 year old DC05 which still works find (although I had to repair the on/off switch a few years ago). My parents followed Which?’s advice and bought a Miele and I can’t understand why anyone recommended it – it sucks great for about 10 mins then stops as the bag fills up and then just sits there getting hot completely unable to suck anything – pointless machine.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Careful there. You just insulted a Miele you know.

sharkbait
    Free Member

it sucks great for about 10 mins then stops as the bag fills up

Doesn’t that mean that it’s actually working (i.e. sucking stuff up) which their previous one wasn’t doing?

Just to add to my earlier post we do have a very old DC01 which still works (well the motor makes a noise) but never gets used and a Henry which does the job but just seems very agricultural compared to the Miele.

z1ppy

– it sucks great for about 10 mins then stops as the bag fills up and then just sits there getting hot completely unable to suck anything – pointless machine.

*and he ain’t gettin away with it MF*

Probably as it’s picked up all the shite their last vaccum failed too, change the bag & it’ll work fine …
    We are two long haired gets, one white dog that moults continuously and three cats that again seeminly to moult constantly.. our Miele has been dealing with that for 5 years & has just happily dealt with our building extention and all the crap that entails
    (a bag should last at minium a month, if not a couple – can’t say I’ve ever measured it but when it stop working @ 100% the bag need changing).

EDIT: Bugger, too slow!

Cougar

Can’t say I have ever really had too much of a problem with emptying the Dyson

Nor me.

Remove cylinder, go into yard, open wheelie bin. Lower cylinder into bin, pull trigger, shoogle(*) cylinder, remove from bin, close bin, close hatch, refit. For extra flair points, it’s possible to close the hatch with a flick of the wrist before you withdraw it from the bin.

(* – technical term – kinda similar to what you do with the basket when frying chips)

resisted
    Free Member

(* – technical term – kinda similar to what you do with the basket when frying chips)

or tossing a summer salad for those of us that live south of Watford Gap 😉

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

“pull trigger” – maybe they’ve moved on. Ours was first generation cylinder – i don’t remember a trigger, just pulling a lid off the bin.

willyboy
    Free Member

Get a miele. We had a cylinder model with a bag (in a rented house); it it was far far better than our Dyson (now at the tip).

mrmagoo
    Free Member

I have had a dyson dc01 for 10 years now, as long as you keep them serviced they last forever. Mine has been dropped down the stairs twice. {Huge plug for company deleted…}

rootes1

i got a miele cat and dog cylinder.

the cat is not too chuffed about it, but it works very well and the self sealing bags are a doddle to use..

only bad thing is storage for hose and accessories is a bit crap.

stumpy01

We got a fairly cheap Samsung when our Dyson packed up. It’s better than it in every way, apart from the fact it doesn’t look quite as fancy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My DC08 was free. cleaned the filters and its as good as new, sucked most of the livingroom carpet up the first time it was used!

Vax was crap, barely any suction and ate brush belts.

Hoover (somethign or other, aimed at pet owners, cost about £60) was pretty good to, if a little cheep looking.

TatWink
    Free Member

Miele schmiele!

Dyson Animal here, (we run a dog grooming parlour) and it deals with everything that 6 dogs a day can throw, oh and two kids and a Homer Simpson dad at it.

I read also that Dyson are no 1 in 8 European countries, and for obvious reasons.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I hated my Mum’s original DC01 – seemed to pull in air everywhere other than where it was meant to. The older ones were very very overated. Our current dyson (not my choice) is only a bit overated, if you don’t mind servicing it every few months then it works OK. (Like fox forks)

I much prefer my electrolux bagless upright, but I broke the sweeper so it’s now in the garage for car valeting duties.

Bear in mind design patents and engineering patents are very different things…

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Best tip for Dyson owners:

Replace the “lifetime” filter once a year or even every 6 months. They’re about £12 online.

althepal

So this is what STW has come to eh??
    FWIW, I’ve had two dysons in the last ten years. First one for 6 years (single cyclone, fairly bog standard) hoovered up anything and everything, even after a coupla the (tenement) ceilings fell in, replastering Walls and rubble from an old fireplace that I took out. Gave it to my mum (who has a load of cats) a few years ago and still going strong if not looking a bit shabby..
    Second one bought when we moved in together, updated version of the old one, similar story.

Edric64
    Free Member

My Dyson cylinder is rubbish its quicker to brush the dog hair out of the carpet by hand

MrSalmon
    Free Member

One came with the house I’m renting and I can’t say it does a noticeably better job than any other type, but it does have a lots of annoying, over-complicated design features that don’t seem to work properly. I wouldn’t buy one personally.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Vacuums – Are Dyson worth it?’ is closed to new replies.