Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Uxbridge
  • Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

If you had to spend two weeks (but not the weekend) in Uxbridge, what would you do regarding riding?

As I live in a Cornish village inhabited by about 300 people, I’m not too keen to try road riding in That London, but I can’t imagine there’s any MTBing to be done nearby. Am I wrong?

iamroughrider
    Free Member

i travel there sometimes – lots of ok / interesting riding – what you after?

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Fun XC and road is generally my thing. Couple of hours hacking around the woods would be ideal. Should I just drive to Swinley?

chip
    Free Member

There’s nothing like swinley.
    If you pick up the grand union canal in uxbridge you can ride to whippendell woods in watford.
    A main loop lots of short bits of singletrack and you may come across some jumps built by yoots if your lucky.

Also you are not too far from ruislip woods a series of three woods and the lido that splits one as good as into two so more like four smallish woods.

If you can find the old uxbridge dry ski slope make your way to to the bottom sticking to the left you will find a bit of single track that will take you To a series of big dirt jumps, well there was last year.

chip
    Free Member

Also if you get on the m25 you can get to epping forest in an hour. If you don’t know it it can be hit or miss on whether the journey was worthwhile.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

swinleys probably your best bet for some real fun

iamroughrider
    Free Member

you could go exploring along the canals if you just want a quick blast.

chip
    Free Member

Swinley is about forty minutes from uxbridge, and well worth the drive.

chip
    Free Member

Also aston hill is not far either.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

the canal takes you from paddington to uxbridge or the windsor area and beyond.

simon_g

Woods around Ruislip Lido here: http://goo.gl/maps/j5qEp were my usual evening blast when I lived in Uxbridge and later Northwood.

The Strava heatmap shows roughly where various tracks go.

Else up the canal to Denham and beyond makes for a pretty pleasant bimble along in the evening.

Bucks Offroad Sportive goes from Denham (just the other side of the A40) – route map here or easy to find past riders’ GPX files http://www.bucksoffroadsportive.co.uk/downloads/Routes/2011/BOR_2011_All_Routes_Map_VA.pdf – bottom bit would make a good on/off route straight from Uxbridge, or drive NW to one of the villages at the other end and follow the route.

Swinley is fun but for evenings you’re at the mercy of the traffic – for a while I lived in Uxbridge and my office was at the other end of Nine Mile Ride (about 15 mins on from the Lookout) – could take a bit over an hour to get in, would usually be more like two at peak times. Lots of places where traffic gets bad.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

OP whats your email addy?

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

rdscoleman-taylorAThotmail.com

TiRed

Go West young man! From Uxbridge, head out through Burnham Beeches and up into the hills and back. Lots of good road riding.

Or take the mtb to Swinley like everyone else.

I commute to Uxbridge every day by bike, drop me a line.

Squirrel

20mins drive up the M40 and you have the Chilterns to enjoy 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

Peaslake is 50 mins from Uxbridge. Swinley 30 mins. Loads of road riding etc etc at Windsor and surrounds.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I’ve ridden at Swinley a couple of times before (although I understand it’s quite different from when I was last there 3 years ago), and just watched some footage of Peaslake which certainly looked fun.

I was expecting Uxbridge to be in the centre of urban hell, but perhaps it might not be too bad. I’m there on a training course for a new job, so I’ll have to see how much time I’ll have in the evenings.I reckon a couple of quick mtb evenings might be a goer though.

Thanks everyone.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Uxbridge’ is closed to new replies.