Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Using a kid trailer on a full sus? and recomendatiosn please
  • GeeWavetree
    Free Member

is it ok to do? presume so but just need to be sure.
    Also what would you recommend sub £150 and it MUST be QR mountable not seat post.

big_scot_nanny

I have used a croozer (older 2 seat one) on my stumpy fsr without too much bother, although it did start to cause probs with the QR slipping at the back as the mounting block/frame/QR interface was less than optimal (had to angle grind the mounting block to get it too fit).

LBS had a fit when I pitched up with singing disk brakes and saw the mounting block, pulling the trailer had kinda pulled everything out of line, inc ontroducing some ghost shifting. They told me not to pull heavy trailer + 2 kids and all the crap on the back of my FS, esp as it is quite hilly here so there was a fair bot of extra stress on the rear triangle. And i am fat.

So, you can do it, as long as not too taxing terrain, but I'm using it only on my HT now. Look at it this way, it could give you an excuse to buy a whole new bike for trailer pulling! 🙂

Kev

stevew
    Free Member

Hey there

We have a cheap halfords one, its great, does the job – was a gift to be honest so I did not choose personally but my bro bought it after reading really good reviews. Fully agree, it does the job great.

QR mount through the rear axle.

Had it on my superlight a fair few times and its fine, you feel the compression of the suspention a little under braking but thats about it – usually knock the pro-pedal lever up a bit to compensate.

However, do tend to use my hardtail – more because it is set up with road tyres pretty much permanently.

On the HT the rear disk squeals a little from time to time, think this is to do with the QR being pulled around a little and the rear brake on the HT is a mechanical and does not self compensate the pads like a hydraulic setup so no problem really.

Even had the trailer on my singlespeed road bike – not to be repeated again soon as stevew jnr is a formidable lump to move around….!!!

Go for it, you won't regret it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Doesn't make any difference technically since the wheel tracks the ground the same as it does on a hardtail. However big_scot_nanny is making me worried..

RoterStern
    Free Member

Doesn't make any difference technically since the wheel tracks the ground the same as it does on a hardtail.

No that's not strictly true as a trailer puts more side load on the frame and in the case of a full-suspension bike also the bearings and pivots.

molgrips
    Free Member

I meant that in terms of the trailer being towed along. But yes agreed about the side loads – which is why I was worrying.

odannyboy
    Free Member

Buy one from CTS.they are all alloy, the rear wheels are cambered inward which improves cornering no end and they collapse flat and the wheels qr in no time. if too expensive look on ebay for second hand.
    bloody good tho.
    get a cheap hardtail hack for towing and give your fs a break.you wont be going all that fast with your nippers in either or you will shake them to pieces so the bike doesnt have to be cutting edge.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

not enough space to store 2 bikes and a trailer 🙁

DickBarton

Get rid of kid then plenty of room for 2 bikes and trailer…if kid objects get rid of wife! 😉

EdwardH

I used to pull my CTS CX2 behind my Patriot, I found I went through pivot bearings like they were going out of fassion and it also bent the axle in the Hope bulb hub. So now I only tow with my HT.

Its a great trailer and I would reccomend the investment to anyone.

binners

Thats got me worried now too. I frequently pull the trailer around on my full suss

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm, I have the hybrid for towing duties on the basis that it can cope with any terrain I'm likely to want to take the trailer.. but I'm going to need to take the 5 to the US this summer so it'll have to stand up to it just this once!

There's also a chainstay mounted hitch for Chariot trailers – I wonder if that would help…

smurf
    Free Member

I hand't given this much thought before this thread, and to date have only used my Cougar trailer with the h/tail.

Don't think I'll be using the full sus bikes after reading this though.

smurf

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

+ 1 for cheap halfords trailer (one of the most useful bits of kit I've ever owned), but I only use it with my hardtail.

big_scot_nanny

DickBarton – Member
    Get rid of kid then plenty of room for 2 bikes and trailer…if kid objects get rid of wife!

😆

I would not be massively concerned, just as long as it is not done all the time and over nothing t extreme, it'll no doubt be great.

I thought my full sus 26er could do everything, but it turns out I really did need a hardcore 29er hardtail just to tow the kids. Whoda thunk? 😉

Kev

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

the halfords one – my daughter is 7 months old, how do i secure her in it? car seat inside the trailer?

Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

That's exactly what I do. 6 month old daughter, Maxi Cosy car seat clipped in at the back with what should be the waist belt through the loop at the back for the car seat belt.

At the front, I started off with a roof rack strap round the metal corner struts but am now using an old windsurf uphaul rope that seeems gto do the job just as well with slightly less hassle.

I'm also running an extra long roof rack strap front to back in the floor of the trailer, wrapped back and forth or 6 times, to give a bit more support…

HTH

Stan

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

cheers stan sounds like a plan

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I have used mine with my fs but I'm not to worried about the side loading as it's a single piviot with nice big bearings. I now mainly ride with mine on the road taking my daughter to nursary. The trailer is the adventure at3 with the alloy frame and isn't to bad to pull but you do notice it on hills it is also well priced at around the £150 mark.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I have a spare Tag-a-long.
    Attaches to my Turner Flux's Thompson seat post a treat.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

is a tag a long a bike based rather than trailer?

Ti29er
    Free Member

bike based

takisawa2

I towed our two with my old Enduro.
    Wouldnt repeat the experience.
    Tow regularly with an old road bike. Thats easy.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Using a kid trailer on a full sus? and recomendatiosn please’ is closed to new replies.