Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • quick release stuck
  • OmarLittle
    Free Member

Got a puncture out on my road bike this morning and couldnt fix it as the quick release on my front wheel was stuck. Had a long walk home as a result!. Pretty certain it is not corroded (no visible corrosion anywhere on the bike) so its presumably been over tightened the last time i replaced the wheel. Not sure how i did this im usually paranoid about over tightening things on my bike

Cant move it at all and its a carbon fork so a bit wary of trying to use something as leverage. Any ideas?

Lactic
    Free Member

spray with wd40 and leave for an hour or so before trying again.

or the more manly approach

stevomcd
    Free Member

Are there spanner flats on the non-QR side? Might be able to "unscrew" it. Not great for the dropouts though.

I might try sticking some kind of extension on the lever (bit of pipe or something). Don't overdo it though, if you snap the lever off then you're quite a bit worse off than you started!

vrapan
    Free Member

Had the same, put a bit of lube on the QR lever then with a sock wrapped around the edge pulled the lever till it started moving a bit. Be careful and it does need quite of power just use consistent power. Once you get there you are almost there! 🙂

jordie
    Free Member

try a small pipe or a long socket over the quick release then use them for leverage

Ambrose

At a pinch I have used my seat-tube in the past.

Stripe
    Free Member

See if you can get a ring spanner over the end and then lever it away carefully.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

i tried the wd40 and it didnt work so going to have try a bit of pipe next. bit worried as its flush with the fork so a bit of a recipe for disaster knowing me! thanks for the tips though, glad to know im not the only person this has ever happened to 😀

spooky_b329

I resorted to the seatpost to lever mine open at the weekend. Also have been know to stick a screwdriver through the hole in the end of my old QRs, but they were knackered and the levers eventually bent as they needed levering open even if they weren't closed very tight.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Sometimes its fairly easy to rotate it away from the forks for better grip. I always make damn sure I don't tighten QRs against the fork/stay for that reason!

Ambrose

Give them a good clean/ light lube too. Some types are worse than others. My Hope ones can be a real pain, whereas the Shimano ones are always sweet.

neilnevill
    Free Member

if it is tight against the fork stopping a pipe or such sliding over it, can you thread a pieceof string through or behind it? make a loop and use this to pull on….done this before at the end of a wet cold ride using a shoe lace (cold fingers and tighht qr = trouble gripping).

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I habitually over tighten the rear QR of my SS road hack. I just get my heel behind it and kick them off.

BigJohn

Try tapping the end of the lever gently with a Birmingham screwdriver in an anti-clockwise direction to try and unscrew it a bit.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

managed to release it using a cable tie looped round (couldnt fit a pipe in to use that). no broken fork, just a big red mark on my hand where i was gripping the cable tie 😀

thanks for all the tips 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘quick release stuck’ is closed to new replies.