• This topic has 28 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Digby.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Using a bike Garmin for running – Carrying options?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Would a simple phone/MP3 player arm strap work? Assume so, but just wondered if anyone had done this before.

TIA!

scotroutes

I often run in a cycle jersey – with pockets 🙂

Digby

I tried to use my Garmin Edge 500 with a ‘Garmin Quick Release Mounting Kit (Forerunner 201 & 301 Only)’

… whilst the Edge 500 fits the strap fine, the running results were somewhat erratic as the device is effectively turned on its side whilst running so GPS signal was frequently lost

Ended up buying a Garmin forerunner 110 – which I use for both running and on the Mountain Bikes – whilst the Edge 500 is just used for on the road bike

daleftw
    Free Member

I butchered a nato watch strap and stitched a Edge 500 mount to it. Cost pennies and worked fine. Or just put it in your pocket?

bikebouy
    Free Member

When running in (trail) Town I use a bum bag with a .5ltr bottle with my 810 shaved in the zip pocket. The bag cost £9 from Runners Need.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I found my Garmin 500 to be totally rubbish as a running watch, it kept loosing signals and recording really odd/bad data. I used the forerunner strap, I did have better results using a iPhone type arm pouch, but even that was pretty bad.

Jamie
    Free Member

You’re minted, CFH. Just get a proper running device.

Garmin 310XT. Proven tech, and only £118.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-310XT-Multisport-Watch/dp/B0025VKW5K/

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jamie, if only…! 😉

Just don’t want to get yet another gadget, really, so was interested to know if using an Edge was a goer for running as well.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

yer you can use the QR strap above, which is like £19 quid, or just buy a cheap watch, even the base Garmin is good enough

misterduncan
    Free Member

I hold my 500 in my hand. Easy to check and change screens.

Not doing much else with my hands while running!

jambalaya
    Free Member

CFH, as above it will work perfectly well in your pocket.

810 shaved in the zip pocket

niche ?

leffeboy

I often run in a cycle jersey – with pockets

works for me too. Current speed is never correct but I believe that is an issue with some watches too. Everything else is ok though and its one less device plus you have a map of you need it

trail_rat
    Free Member

never had an issue with signal drop running with my edge 500 on the quick release strap.

willjones
    Free Member

Slight hijack, but some of the responses may aid OP’s decision – really struggle to get my 800 to record accurate data when using it for running. It keeps cutting out. Have tried putting in pockets and holding in my hand, neither with any success. Before I buy a watch, any tips for success?

turboferret

I did my first few triathlons with an Edge 500 – zip-lock bag in the swim cap for the 1st leg, on the bike for the 2nd and then with a quick-release strap for the run. Never had any issues apart from it not looking super-slick.

You’ll only need the actual strap of the above kit.

£19, job jobbed.

Cheers, Rich

cchris2lou

I use a 305 forerunner but it is getting on a bit.

All new forerunner watches seems to be running only.
    Is there a modern equivalent of the 305?

Jamie
    Free Member

Is there a modern equivalent of the 305?

It goes 205 > 305 > 310XT > 910XT/Fenix 1 > 920XT/Fenix 2.

The Forerunner 610 and 620 also have bike modes.

rugbydick

Take some handlebars with you when you run?

daleftw
    Free Member

willjones – Member
    Slight hijack, but some of the responses may aid OP’s decision – really struggle to get my 800 to record accurate data when using it for running. It keeps cutting out. Have tried putting in pockets and holding in my hand, neither with any success. Before I buy a watch, any tips for success?

Turn the autopause off.

I really doubt a dedicated GPS device such as the Edge 2/5/800 won’t do the job when my not-very-smartphone has no problem running Strava…

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I use my i-gotU tracker, reviewed in Singletrack 4 years ago and bought from Maplins for about £30. It’s matchbox sized so dead easy to carry and can create a GPX file that can be manually uploaded to Strava. A little long winded but a fair trade for the ease of carrying and low cost.

Rubber_Buccaneer

zip-lock bag in the swim cap

This beats the handlebars by some margin and would work a treat for running. Post up pictures please.

I just have my manservant run alongside me with the garmin on a silver tray.

tenfoot

I usually run in my MTB baggies, so I’ve been carrying my 810 around in the pockets. I thought it would be uncomfortable, but it’s ok.

As others have said, I did turn off the autopause.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Would a simple phone/MP3 player arm strap work?

Rather than using a garmin, would you not be better using an app on a phone? Assuming you have a smart phone that is.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I have never been able to get my 500 to work properly all of the time running. I have tried it in shorts pockets, telephone holder on the arm, holding in the hand. Always inconsistent, and even more so if I used the heart rate monitor.

I will see if autopause is on though!

turboferret

zip-lock bag in the swim cap

This beats the handlebars by some margin and would work a treat for running. Post up pictures please.

Not sure if FB photos will be visible to all, but here I am making a nice leisurely start to my first 70.3, number 354 looking as though I have a pony-tail tucked into my swim cap.

With Edge 500 visible on wrist:

Cheers, Rich

misterduncan
    Free Member

That photo has a very unfortunate optical illusion!

turboferret

Ah yes, I hadn’t noticed my black dong before 😀

Cheers, Rich

Digby

Turn the autopause off.

I really doubt a dedicated GPS device such as the Edge 2/5/800 won’t do the job when my not-very-smartphone has no problem running Strava…

I tried turning the auto-pause off but it didn’t make much difference when trying to use my Edge 500 running.

I can’t find the links at the moment, but I did some research and some info suggested that it was the fact that the Edge 500 had been optimised for cycling (in terms of ‘sample rates’). Also it couldn’t compensate for the ‘arm-swing’ effect of some people’s running styles.

Clearly it’s worked for some people so it might be worth trying but I gave up in the end as the results were too erratic/erroneous/inconsistent.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Using a bike Garmin for running – Carrying options?’ is closed to new replies.