Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • US Ambassador Killed in Libya?
  • Coyote
    Free Member

Wonder where this will lead…

…if proved to be true.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Oh dear if this is true!!!

martinhutch

A lot of ‘I told you so’, I imagine…

http://www.asiantribune.com/news/2011/09/16/usnato-engineered-%E2%80%98regime-change%E2%80%99-libya-brings-radical-islamists-forefront

Perhaps they should do a bit more regime shuffling to see if anything friendlier turns up.

wwaswas

I don’t know who to feel more irked with – the stupid people who’ll kill for some perceived insult to a dead bloke or the pillocks who make the insult in the first place knowing the reaction previous efforts have had.

Either way, it’s desperatly sad that anyone dies as a result really.

Farmer_John
    Free Member

So basically a case of protesters protesting against a film that infers that some followers of their religion are prone to intolerance and violence show intolerance and inflict violence on a completely unrelated person to make their case.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Libya now appears to be a failed state with no effective government. I would expect the general lawlessness to continue.

binners

Its telling how blind these fundamentalists are to the concept of independent thought, that they somehow think the entire American nation is collectively responsible for the work of an individual, who happens to be a US citizen, banging something silly on Youtube

Depressing 🙁

wwaswas

they somehow think the entire American nation is collectively responsible for the work of an individual

I do think in a lot of countries there is the perception that only things that ‘the state’ approves of are allowed to happen.

The concept that the governement of a country might decide to let its citizens make their own decisions about what they publish on YouTube is anathema.

binners

Whats equally as worrying, when it comes to Islamic nut-jobs, is this, also in this mornings news

Their violent intolerance, which essentially amounts to fascism, is effectively leading to self-censorship, for fear upsetting people who are, at the end of the day, just a bunch of ****ing psychopathic nutters

martinhutch

Or the leaders of the extremists (put into government by the US) are quite cleverly using the simplest method to rabble-rouse against their desired target.
    Rabble rousing is quite easy. The pitchforks come out on here often enough.

Next few weeks will be interesting, given that the response will be an election issue in the States.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Just be thankful that there is a Democrat in the White House or they’d be using this as a basis to invade Iran later this week.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Demonstrators say the $5m film, called The Innocence Of Muslims, insults the Prophet Mohammed.

It apparently depicts him as a fraud, showing him having sex and calling for massacres.

Speaking by phone from an undisclosed location, writer and director Sam Bacile remained defiant, saying Islam is a cancer and that the 56-year-old intended his film to be a provocative political statement condemning the religion.

So he appears to have fulfilled his wishes.

unklehomered
    Free Member

As above, Obama under massive pressure from his own right wing loonies, will be many calls for retaliation.

Not sure how you retaliate against an angry mob though…

binners

Lets look forward to some well-informed and well thought-through, objective comment from the Republican party representatives on Fox ‘News’.

Should be a gift for Obama this one

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not sure how you retaliate against an angry mob though…

Bomb Libya ?

martinhutch

It’s not a gift for Obama. It’s a total nightmare. He has to respond ruthlessly or lose the election.

The reports suggest the ambassador died from suffocation. This raises the possibility that he has been strung up from the nearest tree. US public opinion (particularly swing vote opinion) is going to demand one thing and one thing only.

binners

wwaswas

reports suggest the ambassador died from suffocation

I understood he was trapped in an armoured car that was on fire 🙁

unklehomered
    Free Member

Bomb Ban Libya?

Maybe…

binners

Or they could blame Iran and cut the Israelis, with their fingers hovering over the button, loose…

martinhutch

Would never have happened under that nice Colonel Gaddafi. The US had been getting on slightly better with him in recent years, before the opportunity to put a load of unknown loons into power and make some money presented itself.

martinhutch

double post

unklehomered
    Free Member

either way…|

unklehomered
    Free Member

The official said the ambassador and three other staff were killed when gunmen fired rockets at his car.”

kimbers

sadly this comes down to polititcs in the US its a gift to romney and unles obama can appease the baying nutters in his own country then it could cost him dearly in the election

Klunk
    Free Member

IMO these kind of anti US actions are a symptom of a deeper malaise in the populations of these countries. For joe Muslim public things are probably unchanged for the most part, no jobs, high food prices and now no one to blame but the people they asked for so they go for the easy and obvious target.

Gunz
    Free Member

Its telling how blind these fundamentalists are to the concept of independent thought, that they somehow think the entire American nation is collectively responsible for the work of an individual, who happens to be a US citizen, banging something silly on Youtube

Or is it the fact that your ordinary member of an angry mob has no access to retaliate against the producer of the video whilst the Embassy was just down the road?

binners

whichever… it essentially amounts to “OI!!! DID YOU CALL MY IMAGINARY FRIEND A PUFF?!!!”

Stupid beyond rational explanantion

druidh
    Free Member

Can I just remind everyone of this thread?

binners

No you can’t

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

whichever… it essentially amounts to “OI!!! DID YOU CALL MY IMAGINARY FRIEND A PUFF?!!!”

Stupid beyond rational explanantion

And they have been continuously murdering people in Libya for being black, which has nothing to do with Islam, is equally “stupid beyond rational explanation”, and is rarely, if ever, reported by our news providers.

Aristotle
    Free Member

It doesn’t take much to get a rag-tag mob of restless, disgruntled blokes to form a posse and carry out acts of violence, whether in the UK or abroad.

Throw in a bit of offence to the surprisingly sensitive followers of an omnipotent deity and it escalates rapidly, with ‘taking offence’ becoming compulsory. Add a few weapons supplied in the past to these chaps by “the West” and watch it all escalate around the world. (Young lads in other areas seeing it as a good excuse to have a good riot and burn a few flags, no need to have seen or read the source of offence.)

Come to think of it, I’m amazed that such things have never happened in any other countries of strategic benefit to “Western interests” that have had democracy enforced upon them….. Oh hang on on a minute.

Who’d want to be the US President during this mess?

What they will now need is a target that is a threat to the “Western Way/Free world” that isn’t actually too much of a threat. The US State department and the Republicans will now be browsing wikipedia and Google maps in attempt to find somewhere suitable.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

this isnt the first and won’t be the last, that Romney guy will be secretly pleased…..

binners

What we need is the overthrow of a previously western-inclined middle eastern government, and the subsequent establishment of an Islamic Regime with access to loads of (real, not imagined) WMD’s

But thankfully that could never happen. Oh… erm…

Aristotle
    Free Member

Maybe, due to the disturbances in Libya, Syria (being vaguely in the same region of the world, albeit on a different continent) will now receive the benefit of a visit from Uncle Sam and maybe the donation of some anti-aircraft missiles in an attempt to spread more democracy and act as a calming influence on the Middle East in this election year? By the time it all kicks off against the liberators somebody else will have to manage the situation.

ps. This is quite an interesting book in places:

jambalaya
    Free Member

This is one of the side effects of “regime change”, instability.

I am personally surprised that the ambassador would travel relatively unprotected, particularly that he would evacuate an embassy which was being attacked and that the embassy itself wasn’t more able to withstand such an attack.

El-bent
    Free Member

So a bloke who identifies himself as an Israeli Jew, albeit a Californian property developer, gets finance from about 100 Jewish donors to make a film that insults the Prophet Mohammed, and the American Embassy gets attacked for it.

I’ve just popped over to a few rather right-wing US military forums and they are going a bit more mental, but largely they are saying “you shouldn’t be using Islamic groups to overthrow dictatorships.”

Perhaps one day the US will look at who their long term friends are and how much grief they have caused them, and hop out of their bed.

binners

American foreign policy = my enemies enemy is my friend

It has been for years, yet they appear constantly startled to discover that it might be slightly more complicated than that

mt
    Free Member

Makes me wonder why the Church of England does not take the same approach to being insulted. Nick Clegg would be in trouble today with his bigot comment. I mean it would not be the Arch Bish on his way round to the Liberal Party offices but I reckon a group of old ladies who have come to do the Sunday flowers could hide some seious weaponry amoungst the carnations and roses.
    There would be none of that “you can’t ware your cross at work” stuff, not when you realise that the cross could be driven into your scull.

RustySpanner

And people are amazed that atheists are getting a bit more vocal?

It’s looking increasingly like decent, representative liberal democracy has just been a short, happy blip, a convergence of circumstances that may not happen again.
    We were the fortunate few to experience it, might as well enjoy it whilst it lasts.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘US Ambassador Killed in Libya?’ is closed to new replies.