Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • uPVC Front Door £££££??
  • scruzer
    Free Member

as above really, how much have you paid to have supplied and fitted? Any recommendations on national companies? Cheers

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Don’t get a uPVC one, they look horrid. Get an insulated composite door. Mine was £800 with a glass side panel thats almost the same size as the door.

scruzer
    Free Member

Yeah noticed the composite ones on websites and have wondered what they are like… Cheers

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    goog
    Free Member

if you shop around you can get a UPVC for about £350 fitted and a composite for about £550, if you go with a “national company” you’ll get stung big time

Rockhopper
    Free Member

This is mine:

derek_starship
    Free Member

A picture of somebody’s front door.

Made my day that.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

My pleasure! But it does go with my post further up the page imploring the OP not to get a uPVC one 🙂

scruzer
    Free Member

Thanks guys esp’ rockhopper for all important pic!

markenduro
    Free Member

I paid £680 for a composite door with a glass panel above it just before christmas, think it is a bit cheap as next door runs his own company and he did it.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

my front door is wood but the rear/kitchen is uPVC and it was about £300 I think, which I bthought was quite expensive at the time but probaly about average. That’s unfitted. A mate fitted it as part of a load of other jobs so I don’t know how much the fitting bit actually cost.

showerman
    Free Member

just had a composite fitted £845 other thing to remember is they are far stronger than a upvc door plod cannot just kick this one in if they want me for anything

mrmo
    Free Member

having sold comp doors for a bit last year, i will try and avoid slagging the lying ***** off too much.

comp doors are better than upvc, but they are not perfect. because they are a composite there is always the possibility of differential expansion leading to the skin delaminating. This is avoidable, if your door is south facing stick to a light colour. Check the furniture is suited, some doors are supplied with unsuited furniture it does save a few pennies but you get slightly different colours for handles and letterplate, which IMO can look a little odd.

Be aware that your guarantee will be with the installer and they have a tendency to go bust with alarming regularity so if anything goes wrong you may find yourself out of luck.

I could also say the mark up on doors is frightening.

As for the police, the police had major problems gaining access to one property with a comp door. Installation matters!!!! i can not stress that enough, there are alot of cowboys, and a badly installed door is likely to cause problems.

You shouldn’t need to worry about U values as your dealing with a refurb job, but if you want to maximise insulation use as little glass as you can get away with.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I’m very interested in this subject, I’m currently looking to replace a uPVC door with composite.

mrmo, what sort of mark-up’s are we talking about?

I’m getting quotes of £1400-1500 with a new window (about 4′ square, one opener one fanlight) but you can configure a door here with a decent spec for about £550, I’m guessing the window I want would be about £300, so that means the local quotes are a bit excessive, but I guess the area I live in doesn’t help as there are mainly very big houses that cost mega bucks.

Cheers.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘uPVC Front Door £££££??’ is closed to new replies.