• This topic has 21 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by GEDA.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Uppy Downy seatposts – who actually uses a non-remote version??
  • psychle
    Free Member

And why?

Can’t imagine not having a handlebar remote for mine (Spesh Command Post and a Gravity Dropper), I mean, the whole point of these posts is to be able to drop/raise the saddle height on demand right?

You’re flying along a trail, you spot a section ahead that’d be better/safer/funner with the seat down, you hit the switch on your bar and drop the saddle, then once you clear the section you pop it back up… soooo easy and brilliant in use! can’t see how you can do this easily/safely without the remote?

Maybe I’m uncoordinated, but the last thing I want to be doing whilst riding at speed is take a hand off my handlebar!! 😕

I’m guessing most folk who get a non-remote option quite often find themselves sourcing a remote fairly quickly?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Me.

When I bought mine some years ago, I thought the whole lever/cable shennanigans looked really messy and chose a non-remote version for that alone!

Am most happy with it!

Next bike will have a remote verison, but I suspect it will also probably have the correct cable guides etc.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Went from manual, to remote, and back again on a joplin. The remote kept making the seatpost behave badly due to sticky cables and also making the actuation device too sensitive.

Remote – post self dropping willy nilly and staying down. None remote – fine post

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I could quite fancy a non-remote one, just because I hate cluttered handlebars. But I suppose as you say it would be less immediate and on-the-fly that way. My dad has a non remote Gravity Dropper on his new bike. I’ll be interested to have a bit of a play around with it some time…

allthegear
    Free Member

Oh – I’ve been looking at dropper seatposts and completely discounted having a remote as I thought it was more ugly cabling and I was coordinated enough to take my hand off the bars for a second or two. Maybe I should reconsider?

Rachel

Northwind

I had a Gravity Dropper Descender, which to me just showed me how good a dropper seatpost would be if it only had a bloody remote. Luckily they can be upgraded, so I changed it to a Turbo.

oxnop
    Free Member

Me – Ks900i. Not bothered about a remote.

psychle
    Free Member

I was coordinated enough to take my hand off the bars for a second or two. Maybe I should reconsider?

Try it! Maybe it just takes practice, but I find it really hard to do, especially at speed!

I have to assume the good Captain (on an Enduro I believe?) has either perfected the art, or he slows down a touch whilst making the adjustment?

surazal
    Free Member

Me. But I’ll probably end up getting a remote for my Joplin for the reasons stated by the OP.

carlos
    Free Member

Another one here. Personaly don’t like the cable run & lever on the bar thing either.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, it’s on my Enduro.

I tend to use the Enduro at trail centres, where I know what’s coming up and can plan ahead a little. As such, it’s not used as much on a “oh crikey, I better drop the post now!” basis.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I bought one of them cheap Joplin 3’s off CRC that came without a remote, gonna see how it goes.

My last one never had a remote and I got on with it fine, afterall I reach down to flick the PP lever on my shock about

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Me – one less thing to go wrong. As mine mostly gets used in a trail centre environment it gets put up rolling out of a descent onto some fireroad usually and dropped rolling in off fireroad.

akira

Joplin without remote, never really found it to be a problem, you change gear in advance of terrain and you do the same with the post.
    Look ahead, plan ahead.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Me.

I don’t NEED to drop the saddle for every section, IMO that’s for folk who feel the need or think it gives them 0.5s advantage over their mates at Glentress.

Drop at the start of a DH section, put it up when you NEED to.

Each to their own, I hate handlebar clutter and faff.

brakes
    Free Member

IF I got one, I reckon I’d look for one without a remote
    because they’re cheaper and you don’t have to tape cables to your top tube – that’s my perception anyway, not really looked into it in that much detail
    only time I think I’ll need one is for the PPdS in the summer – maybe there’ll be some cheaper 2nd hand ones knocking around by then

sam_underhill

Not used one, but much prefer the idea of a non-remote version. Anyone know the likelihood of a rockshox post with no remote?

brakes
    Free Member

low I think, something to do with hydraulics and fluid in the hose

andyl
    Free Member

just shorten the hose and fix the button to the post/saddle/frame by the post.

st

I was happy with a non remote GD. I hate the idea of another lever on my bars and another cable running along my frame, the GD was a bit clunky compared to a hydraulic lever but for the drop at the top, lift at the bottom type riding it was spot on.

neilforrow

Me – 2 bikes and one GD, no remote makes it easier to swap it between bikes. Can’t bring myself to buy several of these waaaaaaaaaaaaay over priced bits of kit.

GEDA
    Free Member

I had my first proper ride with my remote uppy downy seat post and I am not sure if I am totally convinced. Encourages you to have your seat too high. I am no xc racer and usually have my seat down more often than not and then bike standing up. The uppy down route encourages you to sit down more on bumpy bits leading to a sore crotch. and then you don’t really need it as low as it goes on the lowest setting. So my tip is to learn to bike standing.g up all the time before getting one. I learnt by breaking my post on the way down to ladybower then biking all the way back to Sheffield. Oh the remote seems like the way to go as if you really want to fiddle with your seatpost all the time otherwise you might as well just have a normal seatpost.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Uppy Downy seatposts – who actually uses a non-remote version??’ is closed to new replies.