Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Upgrades to Norco trail bike what first?
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi guys, just got this after a test on a mates:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/sight-killer-b-3-2013-650b-mountain-bike-ec041219#features

Looking to upgrade the rear shock in a few month and get a dropper post.

My first full sus (well a 1994 proflex about 17 years ago doesn’t really count) so was hoping to get some guidance on an improved shock without breaking the bank.

Ta in advance!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Personally I’d leave the shock, get a dropper and swap the brakes

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yes was planning on changing the brakes too! Until my other bike was stolen I had some STX discs which were fantastic.

bedfordrd

I agree with steve_b77 – definitely swap the brakes! I have a Range Killer B-3 and the Elixir 1’s are, to put it mildly, sh*te! Really not up to the job at all!

Felt awful, way too much travel, no reach adjust. 2 bleeds before they worked vaguely properly and then about 3 weeks later I bought a pair of SLX brakes (kept the Avid rotors, but have since put on an old Hayes 203mm rotor on the front) and the brakes are now awesome! 1 finger braking all the way. Get the ones with the finned sintered pads.

Then get a dropper – best/most useful thing I ever bought!

Job done!

Ok – not quite… Bought Hans Dampf in the Trail/Pacestar combo. Next on my list will be some Stan’s Flow EX on Hope Pro II Evo hubs (just wish the Flows were a standard buy from Hope). But next year as 2 Alps trips this year have dented the finances somewhat!

frazchops
    Free Member

You can now buy hope hoops with flows in 650b, they’re just not listed yet. Get your local shop to give them a bell.

bedfordrd

Thanks frazchops – that’s good to know! Now I need to save up again!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ok brakes it is . You kept the Avid rotors on though and no problems ? Wasn’t sure if they were compatible . How do you find the bike otherwise?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

And also, why do companies with this much knowledge of bikes etc fit Avids, as it seems well known that they are lame…?

bedfordrd

howsyourdad1 – to answer your questions:

Why fit Avids?? – price…. (I think) low end Avids are cheap.

How do I find it? – Awesome! Love it! Honestly, every time I ride it I just grin from ear-to-ear. Absolutely love riding on it. No matter where (not many mountains in Warwickshire, but I still enjoy it).
    True, it’s probably a tad heavy, but it’s rock-solid (well, apart form the top shock bushings – now replaced with heavy duty). My Range is my ‘happy place’ 🙂
    I’ve done a couple of Enduro’s on it as well, and it’s a way better bike than my skills! Totally flatters me and my (lack of) ability.
    Am I gushing too much…??? 😀

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

That’s good to hear. Can’t wait to get using it here in Sweden before the snow sets in!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Upgrades to Norco trail bike what first?’ is closed to new replies.