• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Upgradeitis?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

My name is Empty Pockets. I am a bicycle addict.

Strikes me that even as recently as our parent’s generation there was a massively higher incidence of people owning just one bicycle and only that for the rest of their natural days. I suppose they were used more for transport and less for leisure back then (discounting avid racers and tourers)

Mountain biking of course changed that, as components wear out much more quickly and the development in tech, fashion and standards is ffwd all the time.

Nonetheless, I’ve found that the older I get the more bikes I buy, sell, upgrade, fettle, build, rebuild etc etc. Along with this comes less riding and more workshop/waiting etc. When younger I used to ‘make do and mend’ a lot more and spend more time cycling, literally tens of hours every weekend along with daily commuting and evening blasts. Only time I touched the bike was to wash, oil or mend. I bought it because it did what I wanted it to do (and some) and never thought about ‘upgrades’. My expectations could never have been disappointed as I was coming from a 3spd Puch Pacemaker converted into a ‘tracker’. It was sh*t in every way. Now, 1st MTB – 21 gears, Reynolds tubes, fat grippy tyres and bar-mounted shifters? It really was a massive paradigm shift at the time. I felt I had scored a Range Rover in bicycle form. Jumpers for goalposts.

I wonder if as we age we run the risk of developing (unconscious) excuses not to ride by constantly changing and upgrading – largely thanks to Ebay/ forum classifieds? Or are the kids doing the same?

I bought first MTB (ATB back then) from Williams Cycles in Cheltenham in 1989 – rode it like I stole it for a good 4 years, and was blissfully happy. And then began religiously buying MTB monthlies. And then began messing with everything on the bike, and then the rot set in, I sold the frame and began what would be decades of upgrade-itis/chasing the dragon. I massively enjoy messing about in the workshop, and that is part of it. But I used to enjoy riding more. As ever, it’s all about balance, but sometime I think am literally spoiled by choice.

stevied
    Free Member

I’m constantly tinkering with my one bike. I can’t afford to have a fleet and my bike is my only vice.
    As I tend to change stuff regularly I can sell the stuff I don’t need for a decent price and the new parts don’t cost too much then.

hooli

Nope, with the exception of winter and summer tyres, stuff only gets replaced when it is worn out or broken. For my skill level, upgrading a component will not really make a noticeable difference.

sharkattack

religiously buying MTB monthlies

That’s where I went wrong as an impressionable young man. I’m over it now though. Got two working bikes and they get repaired as and when necessary. Which, given the amount of riding I currently do, is never.

fingerbang
    Free Member

top marks for the George Costanza looking wistful pic. Its reminded me of when he has a joiner convert his office desk at the yankees into a bed so he can clock in and nod off 😀

jedi

Ride the bike you want not need. Its our chariot of fun

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Upgradeitis?’ is closed to new replies.