Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Unwanted neighborhood visitor (of the large variety)
  • busydog
    Free Member

Exciting morning in the next door neighbors backyard. It took the Fish & Game guy 2 tranquilizer darts to knock him out. They just left to transport him out to one of the wilderness areas. Because of the drought, bear encounters here are almost a daily occurrence.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I bet that bear will be feeling a bit grizzly when it starts to wake up after the tranquilizer.

pingu66
    Free Member

Makes you glad you live in a town. 😀

jackthedog
    Free Member

I bet that bear will be feeling a bit grizzly when it starts to wake up after the tranquilizer.

I’ll bear that in mind.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Wow—gonna need a r-e-a-l-l-y big glass and envelope to trap that critter

Pigface
    Free Member

Don’t Panda to DD 😀

fasthaggis

Guys,you need to Paws and re-think some of those puns 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

Is that in Scotland?

officialtob
    Free Member

You guys have stolen all my yolks 🙁

Oh wait… wrong thread.

busydog
    Free Member

Samuri–Albuquerque, New Mexico.
    Almost no food in the mountains this year, so they are coming into the city looking for something to eat. Last count they have caught and relocated about 25 and, unfortunately, had to put several repeat offenders down, including one that bit a guy on the hand after breaking into his house.

legend
    Free Member

samuri – Member
    Is that in Scotland?
    POSTED 8 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I assumed it was Surrey

wrecker
    Free Member

This makes me sad. 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Almost no food in the mountains this year, so they are coming into the city looking for something to eat.

Could the residents not arrange to dump their leftovers somewhere in the mountains nearby, to prevent them coming into the city?

busydog
    Free Member

Mogrips–there is a push for to get the state Fish & Game people to do supplemental feeding (usually dogfood) up in the remote areas of the wilderness, but that has only met with some success in other states and there is quite an ongoing debate about it. One of the problems is people leaving their garbage receptacles outside of their garages and leaving dog/cat food outside. Also lot’s of fruit trees with ripe fruit now and that is a bear-magnet (and coyotes as well).

mtbfix

Biggest baby robin EVER.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Perhaps he was desperate and looking for the woods.

onehundredthidiot

The problem is they are vegetarians with restricted deitary needs only goes after cucumbear…

IGMC

honeybadgerx

bit a guy on the hand after breaking into his house

If I came away from that close a bear encounter and only had to complain about being bitten on the hand I’d go buy a lottery ticket.

Lifer
    Free Member

mtbfix

That about sums it up.

wrecker
    Free Member

Lifer + 1

busydog
    Free Member

Lifer–you are right on target

A lot of people here want to live adjacent to the mountains/wilderness, but don’t want the inconvenience of bears and all the rest of the wildlife that goes with it.

Royston
    Free Member

Was this in the garden of the Big Blue House?

ell_tell
    Free Member

Ahh poor guy.

I love bears and wouldn’t like to meet one but always feel sorry when I see/hear about stories like this.

I remember a similar tinge of sadness in Nairobi National Park which is now literally surrounded by the city.

nicko74

Perhaps he was desperate and looking for the woods.

Nah, he would’ve been carrying his roll of Charmin if that was the case

zippykona

The bear sure looks wursa for wear.

pingu66
    Free Member

How the **** does a bear break into a house, is it like “climbed through an open window” or jimmied it open. What if they are caught going equipped?

In all seriousness it would be good if there was a way to at least partition the are, I know it would be a bloody big fence but hey as depicted above we are encroaching more into their environment than they are into ours. It saddens me to see such animals getting destroyed when more could be done.

CountZero

Lifer–you are right on target

A lot of people here want to live adjacent to the mountains/wilderness, but don’t want the inconvenience of bears and all the rest of the wildlife that goes with it.
    Apart from the difference in the size of the wildlife, it’s exactly the same problem here in the UK. They want the picturesque qualities of living in the countryside, but will not accept the inconveniences that go with it, which locals think nothing of, like noisy animals, smells, mud, inconvenient rights of way, narrow roads, no local supermarket…
    Maybe if they had to watch out for bears raiding the house, and having to lock the waste bin to keep thieving ‘coons out, plus having the sneaky little bandits gnawing holes in the roof to make a nest, they’d be less worried about the occasional fox.

busydog
    Free Member

From what I heard, the guy who got bitten had a sliding glass door open, with only a screen door closed–the bear just pushed through it. the man was from Oklahoma and staying at the house for someone while they were out of town, so probably not very bear-savvy.

The guy next door where this morning’s bear was caught, has 5 foot cinder block and wrought iron fencing in the front where the bear entered–it appeared he just jumped/pulled himself over it as there was bear fur clinging to the cinder blocks—it was apparently attracted by bird seed feeders and hummingbird feeders in the yard.

It would be hard to erect any kind of barrier between the mountains and the city, due to the terrain, and it stretches for over 20 miles and parts of it would run through wilderness (no fencing, roads, etc.) and part through a major air force base.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Fur folks sake!! Lifer has it spot on, you don’t have to be Kodiak to work that out… you would’ve thought there’d be a claws in the local byelaws for the community to bear responsibility. At least no-one came to a grizzly end, though there may have been some brown trousers from pooh. When I was a cuddly teddy boy who all the honeys drooled over, though I looked like a wild animal, everyone knew me as gentle Ben until I ate their faces off

pingu66
    Free Member

Wow 20 miles of rough terrain and they can’t do it? Wonder whether the moon landings are real if you can’t build a 20 mile barrier.

The Australians managed 3500 miles in 1880, however I assume the advantage they must have had was it was mice and level.

JoeG
    Free Member

I live in Pennsylvania, and the Game Commission usually uses a live trap to catch bears that are somewhere they are not supposed to be. They often use donuts as bait! 😀

Sometimes, the bears leave their usual territory because food is scarce or something like that. Very often, it is the yearling bears that wind up in someone’s yard and have to be caught. Mom has told the year old cub to take a hike and that she will no longer tolerate it in her territory, so it is looking for a home of its own. Normally, they just catch the bear and release it in an rural wooded area. Bears that repeatedly return to populated areas (often attracted by garbage and/or people feeding them) have to be destroyed as they can’t be retrained.

zokes
    Free Member

The Australians managed 3500 miles in 1880, however I assume the advantage they must have had was it was mice and level.

At one end, yes

antigee

I see those bears insist on having a full size spare wheel, does that make BMW designers not as smart as the average bear?

JoeG
    Free Member

PA game warden letting one go

What will happen when he gets home.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Apart from the difference in the size of the wildlife, it’s exactly the same problem here in the UK. They want the picturesque qualities of living in the countryside, but will not accept the inconveniences that go with it, which locals think nothing of, like noisy animals, smells, mud, inconvenient rights of way, narrow roads, no local supermarket…

and then complain if you want to eat the wildlife!

Wish I could reword the responses when you called up to report a bear in the garden.
    “Help! there is a bear in my garden”
    “best not go out there then”

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Unwanted neighborhood visitor (of the large variety)’ is closed to new replies.