• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jond.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Untaxed cars
  • Steelsreal

My neighbour has a lovely untaxed mondeo which has been untaxed for quite some time. It has attracted attention from some CSos and the police, and i know some of my more beligerant neighnours have called the police to complain (it doesn't go anywhere just looks a bit rubbish). Now he has stuck a for sale sign in the window and the CSOs and polica are now ignoring it. Couple of people have come to look at it, but he is not keen to sell it???

I thought that there was this big clampdown on untaxed cars and any that were found would be crushed. It is parked on the road but not used and for sale.

Is this expoliting some loophole or another?

diz

Its not the police that will get it removed it is your local council if its the same as where I live.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Nope, untaxed/uninsured cars are not allowed on the road, even when for sale.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

There's an untaxed car near us. I know its used. Thought the DVLA automatically fined people these days but nothing seems to have been done. P*sses me off becuase its probably uninsured as well just wondering whether to report it to plod.

Wooliferkins
    Free Member

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_4022073

They were down on me like a shot and it was in my garage!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

A brick through the window followed by 5L of unleaded and a match should sort it.

If that fails to solve the problem do the same to the car.

Steelsreal

it is annoying they ran it around for a while with the tax disc of a renault megane in it (which was abandoned outside their house as well!), the thing with the DVLA instant fines is that it relies on people registering the vehicles in their name at their address. My be is that the mondeo is not registered to them. DDon'y mond normally but just about to put my house on the market and a dented mondeao with flat tyres does not look good in the pictures!!!

mavis
    Free Member

There were 3 untaxed cars on the road round the corner from me last week, I knew they were untaxed because they were all sporting bright yellow wheelclamps, penalty notices on the windscreen along with a big "untaxed vehicle" sticker on them. 2 days later they were all gone, may have been towed I guess.

It certainly cheered me up as I rode past them on a dark and chilly morning!

STATO
    Free Member

It certainly cheered me up as I rode past them on a dark and chilly morning!

Ha-ha, same here, they seem to be sneaking out nice and early to catch them as-well, i saw the van driving round before 7am (didnt think council staff worked that early LOL!).

allthepies
    Free Member
    uplink
    Free Member

There must be a government department for denouncing people – surely?

EDIT: allthepies has it

Olly
    Free Member

if it hasnt got a valid tax disk, its not allowed on the road.

end of.

if it hasnt got a sorn (for which it should be on his driveway anyway) its still illegal, wherever it is.

you should be able to get it towed/crushed

Steelsreal

right then, I have found the dvla website and my local council one, I shall be reporting tonight when i get the details…

uplink
    Free Member

I managed to get away with a £50 backhander last year – didn't bother troubling the taxman with the details 😉

steve-g
    Free Member

Mty car is on my drive and is taxed but i havent put the disc in the window, am i breaking any laws?

STATO
    Free Member

steve, you can do what you want with the car on your drive, if its off the road tho you only need to tell the DVLA if you dont want a fine for not taxing it :0)

Steelsreal

oddly i once had my tax disc on the drivers side of an old beetle i had as i couldn't get it to stick to the windscreen. Police saw it and stopped me stating it had to be displayed "correctly" not sure if they were making it up but i think failure to display a valide disc is an offence, though its on your drive so not breaking any laws…

Olly
    Free Member

if you havent got a sorn, you need a tax disk, and it needs to be in the right place.
    (on the passengers side at the bottom of the windscreen)

i think they could do you if they were so inclined steve….

uplink
    Free Member

(on the passengers side at the bottom of the windscreen)

It doesn't have to be at the bottom or even on a windscreen as some vehicles [obviously] don't have them

jond
    Free Member

If you haven't got it taxed and don't get it SORNed, at some point you'll get a fine for doing neither – I forgot to SORN the motorbike once and it took 'em about 6 months for a fine to arrive – annoyingly just before I was about to tax the damn thing.

I realise it keeps lumps of scrap off the road – but I find the kept-on-the-road+taxed thing a bit cheeky in the case where they aren't. If you've got the space (effectively £) to keep a car off road then you can SORN it. If you haven't you can't – ie if you can't afford to tax/run the car, you've got to sell it to remain within the law, despite the fact that you've no intention of running it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Untaxed cars’ is closed to new replies.