• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Unsolicitored Vodafone's – collective thoughts?
  • br
    Free Member

Just had a courier deliver two parcels (in my name). Turns out they are two brand new mobiles (Blackberry and iPhone) from Vodafone along with sims.

Both have despatch notes with my name and address, and no other documentation – not a supplier address nor phone number.

Now, I haven’t ordered them (we’re on 3), and I have though checked my bank account’s SO/DD…

Any ideas; mistake and/or fraud and why don’t Vodafone include nos to ring. TBH I quite frankly can’t be bothered to ring and sit listening to their music on Xmas Eve.

So what to do?

Oh, and can any legal eagles can give me advice if its ok just to stick them on a shelf until someone calls/letters?

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

If it were me;

I’d follow up with Vodafone as someone *might* have set up a credit card in your name but were not able to follow through on the plans to intercept the phones (or vodafone screwed up and dispatched to the billing address).

Whilst you are at it a one off credit check with expirian might also be senisble.

hopefully it will turnout to be nothing sinister.

meehaja
    Free Member

Tell them you have them, tell them to come and collect at your convenience. Chances are, they can’t be bothered and you get two new phones without the bad karma of stealing them.

br
    Free Member

Good call BEB

Vodafone did a search on me yesterday…

No CC’s though.

Hmm.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Just a thought, you significant other hasn’t decided to get you a new phone (or two) for Christmas?

br
    Free Member

BEB – no, all on 3 here

Just speaking with Vodafone, jesus its difficult.

br
    Free Member

Z11 – thanks for that

I had a very difficult conversation with Vodafone, where basically they wouldn’t tell me anything (like how had the fraudsters done it). I was very concerned that they’d my bank details (etc). I was told to wait for the Fraud Team to contact me (upto 5 working days).

I finally shouted at the girl to put her Manager on (after asking at least 10 times politly before).

Then I explained (again) how I was concerned that further frauds could occur against me, unless they would tell me how it had been done. After a 10 question session, turns out that they’ve my name/address and someone elses’ bank account…

Told her to get them collected asap.

So what fraud and why – are they (?) just testing – any ideas?

woffle
    Free Member

you’re not a director are you? My boss had something similar happen to him – turns out the fraudsters got his details from Companies House…

geoffj

So what fraud and why – are they (?) just testing – any ideas?

Dunno, but have Vodafone told you who will collect the handsets?

br
    Free Member

you’re not a director are you? My boss had something similar happen to him – turns out the fraudsters got his details from Companies House…

Yes I am…

And

Dunno, but have Vodafone told you who will collect the handsets?

No, but once their fraud people (and I’ll check that too) call I’ll make sure to ensure that whoever it is, is ‘authorised’.

Afterwards it occurred to me that whoevers bank account it is would’ve reported it when they found out, and then how would I have proven it wasn’t me doing the fraud?

Xylene
    Free Member

When I had my card details nicked on a card that I never used other than at the local co-op for shopping, they put a few small test purchases through first before trying for a larger one.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Don’t waste your money calling Vodafone!

Emails do no constitute a legally recognised form of communication.

Write to them and tell them you didn’t order the phones and that they arrived out of the blue. Send the letter recorded delivery.

What they do after that is up to them.

Notify your bank and get them to check for unauthorised use of your account. They’ll probably issue new cards immediately, so make sure you get some cash out before you call. Don’t delay!

Don’t worry about credit card accounts being used, or you bank’s – they will pick up the tab.

I was turned over for £9k in 3 days for a card i’d not taken out of my house and had never used. It must have been an inside job, but nobody from the card supplier would confirm this.

I also found £1300 missing for a credit card payment to a card provider I didn’t use. This was refunded too.

Those fraudster scumbags are costing us a fortune, but I actually blame the banks and credit card companies for declining higher security options which are routinely offered to them (according to a friend of mine who is in the biz of eSecurity).

Woody
    Free Member

Unsolicitored Vodafone’s

Hopefully you won’t need legal representation on this one even though they were unsolicited 😉

br
    Free Member

Thanks Woody – good to see the English police are still monitoring.

Don’t waste your money calling Vodafone!

Emails do no constitute a legally recognised form of communication.

Write to them and tell them you didn’t order the phones and that they arrived out of the blue. Send the letter recorded delivery.

What they do after that is up to them.

Notify your bank and get them to check for unauthorised use of your account. They’ll probably issue new cards immediately, so make sure you get some cash out before you call. Don’t delay!

Well I’m glad I did, and eventually found out it wasn’t my bank account that was been screwed. As for the phones, if I wanted an iPhone I’d get one – I’ve already told them its their responsibility to collect them at a date/time that suits me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Unsolicitored Vodafone's – collective thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.