Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Unlocking iphone4…….questions, questions.
  • roadiesean
    Free Member

Hi

I bought an IP4 for my wife that is locked to O2 and I need it unlocked to work with T-Mob.

I took it to the local phone shop and it was like taking your car for service, much sucking of teeth and pondering and it scared the sh*te out of my wife with his scare stories.

So, 1. is there any truth in his thinking that once its jailbroken you can’t update itunes etc ?
    2. Can I just do this myself ? It seems there are loads of options to follow online

Surely with the number of unlocked ip4’s on the second hand market this must be doable. Anyone got any experience and what pitfalls should I be looking out for, I want to get this sorted for my missus asap as she is getting a bit snappy that her lovely birthday pressy is now a week old and she still hasn’t used it 😉

Any help ???

Jamie
    Free Member

You can get the phone unlocked by o2 themselves.

You may need the previous owner to lend a hand possibly. I would pop into your local store and ask.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I had an O2 one and they unlocked it for me via their online help service – took 5 mins!

MSP

iirc there has been a EU directive, something to do with unfair commercial/consumer practices which effectively is going to end locking phones to a carrier, the problem is at the moment its non specific about phone locking, and is just about an interpretation of unfairness in the contracts etc by current laws.
    Some companies are fighting it, others (I think 02 are among them) are playing ball, probably fearing that pushing the eu to create a specific law will result in even greater consumer protection.

brassneck

Jail breaking isn’t the same as network locking. It opens up some of the elements of the phone that Apple don’t want you to touch for one reason or another.

If it were my primary phone I wouldn’t jailbreak it, but I would network unlock it at the end of my deal, if I could get a better data package elsewhere. I agree with Jamie though, you mgiht struggle without the originalk owner asking for it, and even then they would have had to have a pretty short contract for it to be ripe for unlock.

HTH

Jamie
    Free Member

Jail breaking isn’t the same as network locking. It opens up some of the elements of the phone that Apple don’t want you to touch for one reason or another.

True, but one has to be done to enable the other.

brassneck

So if you want to switch from O2 to another provider (assuming you’re contract period has expired) you have to jailbreak? You can’t just get a PAC code?

brassneck

you’re = your and I apologise 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Sorry, I should have been clearer. In relation to the original avenue the OP was taking, he would have to JB before unlocking.

As we have pointed out to him, he does not need to do this as network providers now have to do it re:MSP’s post.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

True, but one has to be done to enable the other.

No it doesn’t. A phone can be unlocked without jailbreaking!

Jamie
    Free Member

I know, PP. I was referring to the method the OP was pursuing.

Cougar

Go directly to O2, do not pass Go, do not give a pikey idiot in a dodgy phone shop £20.

brassneck

Ah, thanks for the clarification Jamie.

roadiesean
    Free Member

So do I need to go back to the guy that I bought it from or can I just speak with O2 ? The problem that I have is that my wife likes T-Mobile…..yeah I know hard to understand, but they are sooooooo cheap !

hughjayteens, could you push me the link to the O2 online help ?

Anyone ?????

Thanks

Jamie
    Free Member

Sean.

Go into your local o2 shop or ring them. Seriously, best course of action as they will be able to tell you exactly what you need to do.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Unlocking iphone4…….questions, questions.’ is closed to new replies.