Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Uneven brake pad wear.
  • ElectricWorry
    Free Member

Strange goings on in the brake pad department, I while ago I replaced my calipers with Saint 4 pot on the front and xt on the back, both from avid juicy 5s. Whipped the pads out for a check today and they are only wearing on the 'inside' this means the pads are going to be touching on the outside pretty soon (or not as I've filed them down). Why are the new calipers about 3/4 mm further out than the juicy's? Do I need to remove some of the adjusty washer thingys? whats goin on?
    Thanks.
    A bit wordy that.

uplink
    Free Member

Turn them round – job done 🙂

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

bugger. why didnt I think of that…. bloomin joker. not front to back difference, inside to out difference.

coatesy
    Free Member

I presume you're using the original Avid mounts, avid calipers are designed to be used with the wobbly washers, other makes aren't and will sit out too far, remove the washers and see how well it sits over the rotor. You may need to experiment with shim washers to get it spot on.

elaineanne
    Free Member

lol good answer uplink !

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

and its inside to outside diameter wise… (just realised it could mean inside pad compared to outside pad)

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

aha, mr coatesy sir you seem to speak the sense. I'll have a play around with that idea. what are and where do I find shim washers?

coatesy
    Free Member

You don't specifically need shim washers, but they're manufactured to fine tolerances so they're flat and come in specific thicknesses, they just make a better job of it.I'd recommend a Hope dealer if you want to go that way, they're used for shimming out IS mounted calipers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Uneven brake pad wear.’ is closed to new replies.