• This topic has 60 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Smee.
Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • undertaking on bikes
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

Peter puts that very well. 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

It's simply illegal to overtake on the inside, isn't it?

No.

I suppose I should point out that I do almost always go down the outside given the choice though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

breakneckspeed – Member

Reading this thread I’m struck by two things that there is a perception that anything goes and secondly a lack of road craft. As a road user either on a bike or in the car the most important skill is hazard perception and been able to anticipate what other are going to do. This is more so as a cyclist you are vulnerable.

I so agree with you.

and hoon it down the white line. Very satisfying and good training if the traffic starts to move and you have to out-sprint a car to pull in.

this shows it all too clearly. If you are anticipating properly what is happening ahead you never have to sprint to pull in between the cars – as they speed up you slot in between them as the reach your speed.

You should be constantly looking ahead to anticipate as well as looking at the cars around you.

Olly
    Free Member

as i see it:
    its illegal to undertake.
    to change lane, speed up around somebody and cut in again.

its not illegal if your already in that lane, and that lane is moving faster and you happen to pass them
    thats thier own stupid fault for being in the wrong lane (motorway lanes i mean)

a cycle lane isnt a "lane" in the same respect, and shouldnt be treated as one!
    its more of a reservation, to give you room within an existing lane.
    they shouldnt be painted across junctions, they should run out, and restart after the junction, in my opinion, to highlight that its not "your own lane"

if your going to look at it purely on a basis of who is wrong and who is right, and not take into account manuverability and injury, the cycle is just another vehicle!

if you ran into somebody in a car, because they slowed to turn left, its your own lookout, and the law will say you wernt paying proper attention.
    the same applies for cyclists.

by law a cyclist should ride the centre of the lane, and be treated as any other road user.
    you dont get motor bikes shooting up the inside of people who are turning left do you?
    they fit in the gap.

J0N
    Free Member

It's simply illegal to overtake on the inside, isn't it

?

There is a difference between over taking and moving up the inside of slow moving or stopped traffic.
    If a driver was to pull out (left or right turn) without signaling for a second or two before hand I would say that they were in the wrong should and accident occur.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Acacer – Yes it is, unless it's 2 lanes of traffic moving at different speeds, but that's not what we are dealing with here. The cyclist will be in the same lane as the car. Cyclist is wrong. Show me where it says otherwise.
    🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

this shows it all too clearly. If you are anticipating properly what is happening ahead you never have to sprint to pull in between the cars –

TJ misses the point again! What if you WANT to outsprint the car? Did you not get the slightly joky gist of that line? 🙂

There is a difference between over taking and moving up the inside of slow moving or stopped traffic.

No there isn't. You are passing other traffic. Overtaking. Overtaking on the inside is wrong. If they hit you, it's your fault.
    Work on that basis and you stand a chance of staying in one piece, think you always in the right and you're in for a shock at some point. 🙂

D0NK

Ooh this has come round again, so soon too.
    I have problems with the people getting flashed and turning right on my commute, but it's normally on a section where there 2 lanes of traffic (but the inside is never used by cars due to parkedvehicles so no-one looks) and where theres a proper cycle lane. In both these situations the turning driver should be looking but they very rarely do. You also get the bit where you and a driver heading in the same direction going the same speed and then the driver brakes to let someone turn right, it damn sure aint me undertaking but once again I am at risk from people not looking before they turn.

Passing on the left filtering through traffic is risky be careful, undertaking on a cycle lane in heavy traffic is more within your rights (in traffic different lanes travel at different speeds and undertaking happens all the time and a cycle lane is another lane afterall) but that don't make it safe.

Overall passing on either side can seriously screw up your health when a numpty doesn't check his mirrors so the "undertake=certain death, overtake=fine and dandy have a nice day" comments wind me up

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Anyway, why are we arguing about undertaking? That's what the bunnhop was invented for, right? So you can get up on the pavement without slowing down!

ourmaninthenorth

Expect every car driver to do the most stupid thing possible. weigh up the risks and proceed with caution.

My principle exactly. I filter upthe inside of stationery or slow moving traffic, but I do so assuming that doors may be opened into my path, cars may do that random pulling towards the kerb thing, and other vehicles may be invited across my path.

We all owe a duty to each other out on the roads, but the primary responsibility for my safety lies with me alone.

Therefore, whether or not it's legal or illegal, I don't want to have my final trip by bike on the back of a Kona Ute all decked out in flowers spelling OMITN….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Expect every car driver to do the most stupid thing possible. weigh up the risks and proceed with caution.

That is a good way to put it, yes.
    🙂

D0NK

you dont get motor bikes shooting up the inside of people who are turning left do you?
    they fit in the gap.

LOL you are joking right? I see motorbikes ripping up cycle lanes and using ASLs all the time, had to squeeze passed a couple only this morning.

avdave2

aracer I think if you read the original post it asks what is the rules the law and the thinking on undertaking. Not about who pays. And the main thing I have in mind when undertaking is who is going to get hurt if this goes wrong.

Junkyard
    Free Member

depends on situation for me personally. Sometimes I do sometimes I dont as I assess the risk.
    An artic is an absolter NO NO no matter how safe it appears.

Do hate it when cars just pull intothe cycle lane to undertake a car turning right or worse pull into then stop as they cant get through the gap.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I thought you were talking about

andyl46
    Free Member

Highway code point 72:

On the left. When approaching a junction on the left, watch out for vehicles turning in front of you, out of or into the side road. Just before you turn, check for undertaking cyclists or motorcyclists. Do not ride on the inside of vehicles signalling or slowing down to turn left.

Sounds about 50/50, you should look out for them, they should look out for you.

aracer
    Free Member

if you read the original post it asks what is the rules the law and the thinking on undertaking

Sorry, hadn't realised thread creep was banned round here. Though I note that your previous posts don't seem to have been a reply to the original post either – you seem to have been replying to me, or at least that's the implication of naming me in your post, and I was discussing who was to blame.

aracer
    Free Member

The cyclist will be in the same lane as the car. Cyclist is wrong. Show me where it says otherwise.

So is overtaking on the outside, but staying to the left of the white line to avoid oncoming traffic also wrong? 🙄

You show me where it says to be in a different lane the cyclist has to be the other side of a white line used to separate lines of cars.

RichPenny
    Free Member

You show me where it says to be in a different lane the cyclist has to be the other side of a white line used to separate lines of cars.

The white lines are there to separate all traffic. On a bike, you are traffic. Overtaking into oncoming traffic shouldn't be done unless there's room (otherwise you're gonna die, no?).

If the road's not wide enough so you have to pass in the same lane as what you're overtaking, you aren't giving enough room for the manouver. Also, you're then in no position to complain when a car passes you close, since that's exactly what you're doing.

2tyred

Got caught out this morning filtering slow-moving traffic on the left!

Saracen cross in Glasgow, busy traffic and a slowing line of cars approaching a pelican crossing at red, I filtered up the left (slowly, but faster than the cars) anticipating reaching the lights as they would go green. A car decided to pull in and park, without signalling, just as I reached his rear corner. Fortunately I wasn't looking too far ahead, saw it in time and managed to stay on, with my arm on his passenger window.

Driver was apologetic and so was I – he didn't signal and didn't see me, but I figure that was my fault, as strictly speaking I shouldn't have been where I was. No harm done and we apologised to one another, much to the disappointment of watching drivers in the line of cars, who I think were looking forward to a driver/cyclist fight!

Smee
    Free Member

Bikes of any description are allowed to filter through slow moving traffic on any side.

I work on the principle that everyone one the roads is a numpty until proven otherwise.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘undertaking on bikes’ is closed to new replies.