Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Unable to open documents from IE9
  • martinhurton
    Free Member

Hi all,

This has been getting progressively worse. It started with Adobe Reader, then Word docs, now PowerPoints as well.

It has been working fine until the last month or so, and today it’s completely gone to sh*t.

I’ve also tried opening word attachements in Outlook and that’s not working either. If I save to desktop in Outlook it does, but won’t open the document from the desktop either. Downloading documents from IE9 just doesn’t work, pdf’s, .docs, ppt etc.

Did a disk clean-up and updates/defrag etc yesterday, seems worse if anything!

Any ideas or fixes,I’m stumped 😥

PS – word, ppt, adobe all work for documents I have saved previously or created myself.

Thanks, Martin

PS – I don’t want to use firefox or google chrome etc, that’s not fixing the problem just ignoring it.

robbespierre
    Free Member

What version of MS Office do you have?
    It could be you are downloading documents from the latest versions and they won’t open in your older software.

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t want to use firefox or google chrome etc, that’s not fixing the problem just ignoring it.

You appear to have misunderstood what the problem is. I’d also recommend Foxit Reader, given that’s where the problems seem to have started.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I had the same problem and gave up on it reverting back to Chrome which in all honesty I prefered.

martinhurton
    Free Member

I have Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010. The word documents used to open, as I’ve opened them before. I didn’t save them to my pc, and come to open them again today and no go. Tried saving to desktop and IE9 says “unable to download document”.

That’s why I thought it was an IE9 problem, as it’s saying it won’t download the document. If it was an office problem I’d think it would download it but not open it?

I dunno though. The reason I don’t want to go with any other software/viewers etc is because it DID work, so I know it can/should.

Cheers, Martin

martinhurton
    Free Member

Ok, just tried using Chrome and it works. Downloaded both the word and PDF documents instantly. So looks liek it is an Explorer problem?

Damn it. Was quite enjoying the whole integrated microsoft package…guess I should have know it wouldn’t last!

wwaswas

I suspect it’s a security settings issue.

I had issues for a while that Word and Excel apps would open if I clicked on a doc in Outlook but the actual document would fail to open unless I first saved it and then opened it from within Word etc. Is that what you get?

aracer
    Free Member

The reason I don’t want to go with any other software/viewers etc is because it DID work, so I know it can/should.

But you also know now that it can go wrong. IME and that of plenty of others, that sort of going wrong thing is far more likely to happen with IE than the alternatives (granted IE9 is a lot better than previous versions, but I’d still not choose to use it).

Was quite enjoying the whole integrated microsoft package…guess I should have know it wouldn’t last!

What do you think you were gaining by using IE9 with your other MS software? You do realise that IE is written by a completely different team to Windows or Office, and they’re not all that tightly integrated – Chrome, Firefox integrate just as nicely. Always worth bearing in mind that not all MS stuff is equal, of that I’ve come across VS I like a lot, MS Office is mostly OK, Windows is now very good, but IE still sucks.

Cougar

I’d try a different browser even if it’s just temporarily as a test to help narrow down where the issue lies.

What anti-virus are you using?

martinhurton
    Free Member

Quick screenprint of what I’m getting, click retry etc just says the same. If I select opne it just says “downloading…” and then gives a blank page with PDF’s or does nothing.

Tried using Chrome and it does work fine with that. Am using McAfee security.

Got to go to college now but will answer the above questions later.

Thanks all.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Well since yesterday I have been using Chrome and everything is working fine. It isn’t integrating so well with “keys” stored on my computer (this computer is used to log in as a “secure PC” for some sites) but everything else is working.

Interestingly (or strangely) I can now open documents in Outlook as before. Getting word and pdf previews and when I click the attachment it opens it in the relevant program (word or reader) No idea why this happens when IE9 and Chrome are closed/not involved.

Looks like I’m sticking with chrome…until that eventually messes up 🙄

aracer, chrome does seem to be doing everything explorer was (+ working!) , except for my fingerprint and secure password keys for accessing some sites. That’s ok though, the fingerprint thing was pretty unreliable anyway. Will get used to the small changes.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Have u tried deleting cookies and all temp internet files from ie?

martinhurton
    Free Member

Yeah, tried that as well as the usual disk clean up. Didn’t make a difference.

acidchunks

Have you tried resetting the browser?

IIRC…. Tools, internet options, advanced, reset. Just don’t choose to delete site preferences, passwords etc

muddy_bum
    Free Member

This problem occurs if the Do not save encrypted pages to disk option in Internet Explorer is selected.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2549423

martinhurton
    Free Member

muddy_bum has fixed the problem!

I don’t know why the check-box had changed itself but I’ve unchecked it now and all working as normal.

Many thanks 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Unable to open documents from IE9’ is closed to new replies.