Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Recommend me a NAS box.
  • seven
    Free Member

I’m sure some on here use NAS at home.

What recommendations for reliable (cheapish) options.

Looking for at least 1TB and wireless access

Cheers

nicko74

Up to this point[/quote]wireless access

, I was ready to say ReadyNAS Duo or NV+. Cheap, robust, and easy to slot whatever HDDs you have in. But they can’t do wireless; you’d have to hardwire it into your router.

seven
    Free Member

yes wireless is just a location issue, as route is in living room and partner not wild about me making it look like a geek haven

so it could be wireless or non geek looking 🙂

winston_dog
    Free Member

I bought one of these the other A £12.50 NAS Enclosure

You do have to plug it into your router and software is basic, but once up and running it’s been fine. Nothing cheaper!

dobo
    Free Member

wireless on a nas is bad practice imo, get it directly wired to your router for the best transfer speed.
    if the router is in a different room then ethernet over power will still be better than wireless.
    using a linux server on hp proliant micro server here

zokes
    Free Member

Yep, avoid wifi for a NAS. It’ll be OK for streaming movies and music off the NAS, but an absolute PITA to get them all there in the first place! If you’re after something that looks OK, have a look at the Lacie lot, then wire it to the router.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Recently got a Buffalo Linkstation, 2 x 1TB and will be run as RAID 1.

Can’t comment on reliability, but it was easy to setup and easier to access than the Maxtor Central Axis we had before (which broke).

Setting it up next to the router would surely be the easiest option?

dobo
    Free Member

Setting it up next to the router would surely be the easiest option?

yes but NAS arnt silent and my misuss would have a fit if she found a box that made noise in the front room 😉

jota180
    Free Member

Any chance of running a UTP cable to another location?

zokes
    Free Member

Perhaps a compromise (as streaming should be OK) might be to have it wired whilst you upload lots of content to it, then move it away and run it on wifi for just general use.

Admittedly a faff, but you can blame your partner for that

nickdavies

This is easy, you just tell her that you can put it in the next room, but you need to drill big holes everywhere and run purple cat5e across the place.

I’m sure she’ll see sense 😉

Alternatively – check your router it might be able to accept a usb HDD, will be a bit quieter as it’ll only spin up in use.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I have a ReadyNas Duo wired to my router. Fantastic bit of kit!

Dual mirrored drives mitigate your risk of data lose due to HD failure and it’s idiot proof.

There are many other benefits to this system. Netgear is a significant brand.

Aim to have a wired network if you intend to stream decent resolution video.

thejollybodger
    Free Member

Depends on how much you want to spend, however I use a number of Iomega StorCenter ix4-200d to store my clients backups on as they are so reliable.

I have one at home too for my media libraries – iTunes, Windows Media player detects it automatically as a media server. As does my PS3.

Can use it in different RAID configurations, so you’ve got an excellent chance of failover if one of the disks fail. Can use it as an iSCSI drive as well if you want to get really into it. 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

Dual mirrored drives mitigate your risk of data lose due to HD failure and it’s idiot proof.

Apart from if the controller fails, or there’s a power surge…

RAID is not a form of backup, and I’ve had far more NAS (or external USB, for that matter) controllers fail, then been able to carry on using the disk perfectly happily in another caddy.

batfink
    Free Member

Synology DS411J here. Synology and Qnap consistently get good reviews.

Mine is hard-wired into my Router, but then used exclusively via wifi: by my Macbook pro to save the media to it/manage the media, and then by my apple Tv for steaming 1080p loveliness. The unit is just behind the sofa, and even during movie playback you don’t really notice it whirring.

Files are often >5gb, and transfer rates aren’t an issue unless there are other things happening at the same time on the unit (automated backups).

Cheap too: about 250 quid for the bare unit, I just bunged-in some HDDs from some old externals I had lying about.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Apart from if the controller fails, or there’s a power surge…

No data loss will occur with either of these events.

PS spent over two decades making my living dealing with large scale computer hardware problems.

zokes
    Free Member

No data loss will occur with either of these events.

PS spent over two decades making my living dealing with large scale computer hardware problems

In large scale enterprise systems, no. In small home or SOHO grade systems where the RAID controller can’t be replaced, then yes.

jota180
    Free Member

In large scale enterprise systems, no. In small home or SOHO grade systems where the RAID controller can’t be replaced, then yes.

Surely the data would still be OK in the event of the actual device failing rather than the HDDs?
    You’d just need to replace the ReadyNAS Duo box, wouldn’t you?

andyl
    Free Member

exactly, if you are running a mirror set up then both discs should have all the data duplicated. Just put them in a new box or take a disc out and copy it to something as a precaution while you fix everything.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

yes but NAS arnt silent and my misuss would have a fit if she found a box that made noise in the front room

They are not that loud.
    You can get “silent” hard drives and they have auto power modes which switch it off when its not in use.

Are SSD’s silent? That could be an (expensive) option.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I have a Readynas Duo V2 running Squeezebox. The fan is a bit noisy but overall it’s pretty quiet. Hard Wiring is definitely the way to go to get stutter-free playback ,especially if you have a slow connection.I have 2x1Tb drives in RAID format which protects against a disc going down but not data corruption.You could always use network plugs through your mains wiring to get your signal to & from your NAS drive if it’s in another room.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

+1 for using PowerLine adaptors to enable you to stick it another room. Be far more reliable than WiFi. Getting a lot cheaper too – some good deals here:

http://www.misco.co.uk/product/Q522398/NETGEAR-Powerline-200Mbps-Single-Port-Mini-Bundle

In terms of the NAS itself, some good recommendations above.

I use a QNAP in work which is pretty good but also got a couple of Buffalo units which have worked fine for me (firmware is a bit of a pain though), but apparently other people have had problems with disk failure.

duntmatter
    Free Member

I recently got a Synology 212j and I’m very happy with it. It’s near silent, works with very little faff, and has great forums and customer support.

sadexpunk

im also interested in this. ive got a squeezebox, and arent there some that dont support that?

w1zard
    Free Member

I’ve been using 2 different versions of the Buffalo Linkstation for a couple of years now. They’re cheap, have flexible software, and have been reliable so far.

Agree you are better off wiring them to your router – wifi is painfully slow when you are transferring 1 TB across it.

RicB

iomega Ix-200 here – great bit of kit. I stream movies & music to ipad, iphone and tv (via raspberry pi running openelec). Plus it’s a TimeCapsule backup and works as a print server (well, it’s supposed to!) and Bittorrent client.

If I was buying now I’d buy a Synology 212 with 2 x 1Tb drives.

Wireless just isn’t reliable enough, especially if you want non interrupted streaming. For backups overnight wireless is ok but mine (admittedly using wireless G) stutters with music and movies if the wife is surfing the web, which is quite annoying. Most of the time it’s fine but I’m planning to wire everything with Cat5e.

Wireless ac (new standard) might solve these problems but claims were made about ‘n’ and ‘G’ that never lived up to the hype.

I’d suggest you look at what formats you want to stream e.g. mp3 or 1080p video, see what the bitrate is, see what wireless can do (and halve the claims). Don’t forget to distinguish between mbits/sec and mbytes/sec!

Don’t forget powerline adapters need their own socket i.e. they don’t work with trailing leads. I think some have mains socket bypasses now though…

Can you move your router somewhere else? Mine is in a spare bedroom connected to the NAS.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Bit more pricy but you can get passthrough powerline adaptors. I use something similar to these at home:

http://www.misco.co.uk/product/164530/D-Link-PowerLine-Homeplug-AV-Passthrough-Starter-Kit

jota180
    Free Member

Don’t forget powerline adapters need their own socket i.e. they don’t work with trailing leads

I have two [TP-Link]that are happily working on 4 way trailing sockets, I suspect that are some trailing sockets that won’t play nicely though.

blisterman1962
    Free Member

andyl – Member
    exactly, if you are running a mirror set up then both discs should have all the data duplicated. Just put them in a new box or take a disc out and copy it to something as a precaution while you fix everything.

You wont be putting the disks into a Windows PC to recover the data – the ReadyNAS systems use an incompatable file system – not sure if you could recover using Linux…most likely you would have to buy another ReadyNAS caddy.

zokes
    Free Member

You wont be putting the disks into a Windows PC to recover the data – the ReadyNAS systems use an incompatable file system – not sure if you could recover using Linux…most likely you would have to buy another ReadyNAS caddy.

Indeed. I’ve recently found this out with a LaCie nas, and that’s just a single disk jobby. I can probably find a way, but it’s not easy.

Which brings me back to my earlier point: raid is not a form of backup. What happens when the only option (a replacement caddy) is discontinued and a newer one uses a different file system?

blisterman1962
    Free Member

Agreed – Ive just bought a pair of powerline LAN adapters, one to be used in the house, and one in the garage with a Buffalo Linkstation on each end.

jota180
    Free Member

What happens when the only option (a replacement caddy) is discontinued and a newer one uses a different file system?

I use mine as a back-up and really don’t think the risk is that great
    Everything is on my PC, and backed up to the NAS drive [2x HDD RAID1]
    It would have to be a fairly major set of circumstances that rendered all 3 drives useless and unrecoverable, certainly not something that should overly worry a home user IMO.
    If you have anything that is really critical you can also have a backup to a cloud somewhere.

zokes
    Free Member

It would have to be a fairly major set of circumstances that rendered all 3 drives useless and unrecoverable, certainly not something that should overly worry a home user IMO.

Power surge, theft, fire? Not all that unlikely.

Cloud is fine for small amounts of data, but what about photos, or your music / movie collection?

All I’m trying to point out is that raid shouldn’t be the only form of redundancy people employ, for some fairly obvious reasons. I’m struggling to see why there is any disagreement with this.

stimpy
    Free Member

I’ve a ReadyNAS Duo wired into my router then running over powerline LAN adapters (with ‘through sockets’)/wifi to devices and it works a treat.

Agree on the failover points made though – I’m running two disks mirrored so if one disk fails the other will take over, but if the NAS itself fails (i.e. the RAID controller) then I can’t just plug the disks into a Windows (or any other) PC and retrieve the data. I’d need another RAID controller (another ReadyNAS Duo box) to plug the disks into to retrieve the data.

*EDIT* and it’s plugged into a surge protector. Fire & theft? I’d have bigger concerns than losing the NAS contents.

blisterman1962
    Free Member

Fire & theft? I’d have bigger concerns than losing the NAS contents.

Cant disagree with that, but some things just cant be replaced – photos and videos of your children growing up, for example.

blisterman1962
    Free Member

not your children, obviously….

stimpy
    Free Member

😆

jota180
    Free Member

Power surge, theft, fire? Not all that unlikely.

Oh I don’t know
    I have surge protection
    Fire, I’ve not had a house fire in the 53 years I’ve been around and living in houses, so I’m going to put that one down as unlikely.

ditto the theft TBH

I’m not arguing that RAID is fully redundant in all circumstances, just that it a reasonable option for most home users, like the OP

zokes
    Free Member

I’m not arguing that RAID is fully redundant in all circumstances, just that it a reasonable option for most home users, like the OP

I still disagree. Buy a less expensive single nas disk, and periodically back that up to another much cheaper external disk that you can keep in your desk at work or at a friends. Costs a lot less, you lose no storage capacity, and its a lot more certain to keep your data safe should something catastrophic happen than a raid box.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Not cheap but ticks a lot of boxes

Synology® DiskStation DS213air is a one stop solution for wireless sharing, web applications and centralized storage. Specifically designed for small office and home users who need the convenient solution of wireless sharing capability with full-featured network attached storage, to share and protect data cost-effectively, while increasing productivity with comprehensive office applications.

Synology DS213air is not only a NAS, with built-in Wi-Fi® adaptor, DS213air can serve as a wireless access point and provide Wi-Fi coverage in hard to reach locations such as rooms too far away from the router, or different floors. The included software components make it easy to build a fast, robust and secure wireless IP network from scratch. The DS213air is all the gear needed for your home/office wireless networking environments, plus terabytes of storage and cloud applications.

With Synology DS213air, you can centralize and share up to 8TB of data and files with coworkers and friends. If you find this way of managing files useful, you can have your own cloud by using Cloud Station to access and sync files across different computers. There is no need to configure a router to remote access the DS213air, by using Synology’s ezCloud, you can easily extend coverage to the Internet.

Manage your files on your Synology DS213air with File Browser which provides browser based file navigation on your DiskStation, allowing you to copy, move, delete, rename, upload, or download files without boundaries.

If you are always on the move, Synology provides a handy app, DS file for iPhone®, iPad® and Android™ users. Anything stored on Synology DS213air can now be accessed remotely using DS file via the Internet.

Synology DS213air delivers an average 95.22 MB/sec reading speed under RAID 1 configuration in a Windows® environment, and 57.11 MB/sec writing1. DiskStation DS213air provides a reliable solution for data sharing with an easy to use interface, and comprehensive office applications, including a complete backup solution making it one of the best values in 2-bay NAS devices available today.

Coming with USB 3.0 support which offers transmission speeds of up to 5 Gbps, namely 10 times faster than USB 2.0, DS213air takes less time for data transfer for external hard drives and consumes less power.

DS213air brings innovative and enjoyable multimedia entertainment to your home. Enjoy sound and sensation while enriching your life with personal online albums and blog services. Your social life just gets better.The iPad®, iPhone® and Android™ App, DS audio, allows DiskStation users to stream music stored on DiskStation with their mobile devices wherever Internet access is available.

Web Assistant is a web-based utility to make DS213air as easy to install as possible. It is even possible to install the whole system just with mobile device, by setting up all vital system components in few simple steps. Combined with a quick start widget, users can simultaneously tour the DSM operating system and set it up to use right away.

Synology 213 Air

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a NAS box.’ is closed to new replies.