Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ultimate UK road trip?
  • woodywoodbine
    Free Member

Reading the 'What's the furthest you've driven to ride' thread got me thinking. What would be the ultimate UK road trip? If you were going to travel the whole of the UK and take in the best riding this coutnry has to offer, what would you need to do?

Seeing as I know Scotland the best I'd do a big zig-zag shape starting up north in Golspie, take in Aviemore, Laggan, Ft William, something between Ft William and Glasgow then across to Glentress/Innerleithen, down to Dumfries to ride Kirroughtree and maybe a couple of others and stop off around Kielder Forest before heading down to the Lakes.

Where next?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno, would involve almost zero trail centers through, because much as I enjoy riding them its mainly a convenience thing, a bit like going to pizza express when you know full well you can make soemthing with 200% more flavour yourself.

woodywoodbine
    Free Member

I reckon a mix of both would be good. Re-reading that I reckon there should be more in Scotland before you head south of the border. any suggestions?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How long have you got?

You could spend a week riding in the south east and not see another rider, but without the 8 hour drive to get here :p

woodywoodbine
    Free Member

Not really planning anything. Just thought I'd see what a hypothetical ultimate UK road trip would look like.

Sort of came out of wondering where I would take some visitors from Canada if they were to come over with their bikes. So, unlimited time, main idea is to ride ll the best spots in the UK

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I'd work S. -> N.

Possibly a gentle start with the S. Downs, then a day of ingletrack thrashing in the Surrey Hills. Over to the Quantocks, then some fast food at Afan or Brechfa. Possibly stop off and do The Gap on the way up to Llanvberis to do Snowdon. Long Mynd on the way back into England. Couple of days in the Peaks, then up to the Lakes detouring via Calderdale. Couple of days (or more) in the lakes, the off to scotland. Kirroughtree, then I'm pretty stumped for "real" riding. An uplift day at Fort Bill would have to be done, and I'd probably have to do Skye (that trail from Earthed 3 or 4??*) Aviemore and the Lairig Ghru? I dunno…

Easily a fortnights worth of riding though! Its the beauty of the UK. There's so many different terrains in a relatively compact area.

*edit – this one.

jhw
    Free Member

Is the general consensus then that of the Scottish trail centres, Kirroughtree is the "must do" if you only have time for one?

ahwiles
    Free Member

depends, i've got friends who hated it – no 'proper' descents apparently…

not my opinion, but they did ride it, which means they are entitled to an opinion.

epicyclo

Probably never go south of the Great Glen 🙂

fubar
    Free Member

…from the lakes I'd be heading into North Yorkshire…Sedbergh / Howgills area to start with…should be a good few rides in the Dales. I've not been there myself but would imagine that there should be some great riding also heading east across North Yorkshire. Eventually you'd pop out around Malham and Skipton before heading for a little jaunt around Calderdale, Peaks, North Wales and on….

re: Kirroughtree – no idea how it compares to others (except Mabie) but it felt like a rollercoaster ride to me. I was grinning for days afterwards.

el_boufador

like the analogy thisisnotaspoon

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ultimate UK road trip?’ is closed to new replies.