Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • UK now borrows cheaper than Germany
  • mcboo
    Free Member

Been wracking our brains to remember when UK government bonds (Gilts), traded inside German Bunds…..might be 25yrs. And Mrs Merkel hasnt even opened her cheque book yet. Thank you William Hague and Gordon Brown.

UK 10yrs 2.21%
    Germany 10yrs 2.26%

Stoner
    Free Member

You do realise that Euro interest rates are still low and stable dont you?
    😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

ow so some good has come out of the banking sector totatlly **** everything up.
    Is this like Hitler making the Volkwaggon – that sort of thing?

mcboo
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    You do realise that Euro interest rates are still low and stable dont you?

Really? Where you seeing Italy, Ireland and Greece……or France? Belgium? How about Spain?

binners

The opening 2 para’s of the Guardian financial pages sounds cheery today

Global financial markets prepared for the euro’s endgame after the sovereign debt crisis spread to Germany, the “stability anchor” of the single currency, and investors shunned its government bonds.

Europe’s biggest economy suffered what analysts called a “complete and utter disaster” as it managed to sell only two-thirds of its 10-year bonds at auction. “It’s a vote of no confidence in the entire eurozone,” one said.

I wish they’d just pack in this endless fiddling and just admit defeat. Yes its going to be messy? And this isn’t? The Euro is a fundamentally flawed shambles! Let it go and lets just get on with the aftermath eh? That way we might save pissing away a few trillion quid, before admitting the inevitable 🙄

IanMunro
    Free Member

No, no, no, no. NO!
    I have it on good authority that the Euro is absolutely awesome and not a failure in any possibly conceivable meaning of the word 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Oh Im sorry. Is the Euro Central Bank Base Rate of 1.25% not the same thing 😉

(Sorry, pulling your TJ chain there …)

mcboo
    Free Member

Oi you got me there. Hook, line etc etc

MSP

Well the rates are still very close.

And as its a rare moment in recent history for German borrowing rates to be above those of the UK, its a bit premature to claim that the UK’s economy is healthier than theirs, and that the UK’s long term economic plans are working better.

mcboo
    Free Member

its a bit premature to claim that the UK’s economy is healthier than theirs, and that the UK’s long term economic plans are working better.

That is true. But it’s the safe haven at work……investors think the government is making a decent fist of things and we aint on the hook (directly) for the coming Euro hurricane.

2011 is going to seem like a picnic compared to 2012. Tin hats on.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wish they’d just pack in this endless fiddling and just admit defeat

So at your job, do you just give up every time you hit a problem?

footflaps

The markets behave like pack animals – right now they’re circling Germany too see if they can see any weaknesses; they’ll be back sniffing around the UK soon enough – not as if we are in tip top shape!

wors

has anyone ever bought/ invested in goverment bonds/gilts.

IHN

So at your job, do you just give up every time you hit a problem?

Not at all. I make it someone else’s problem 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

Flogging a dead horse. Stop digging when you’re in a hole. Good money after bad.

One of those.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘UK now borrows cheaper than Germany’ is closed to new replies.