Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)
  • UK "All round" full suss standard.
  • br
    Free Member

Current ride is a On One 456C with 140mm. 67 I think the HA is, admittedly it’s a bit silly up front and don’t think I’d like a full suss with those figures, but is that what I need to look for?

You’ve already the bike that will do anything.

FWIW I run a 456Ti with 150mm forks, perfect for everything from XC, Marathon events, trail centres and Enduro/near-DH stuff – luckily all within riding from my front door.

grum
    Free Member

Full suss bikes are great fun but for most trail centres a hardtail is possibly more appropriate as you can pump the trail more easily without losing too much energy.

Is there a hardtail that’s light-ish and slack, with ~130mm travel forks? I have a 456 SS which is great fun downhill but it’s bloody heavy for a hard tail.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Full suss bikes are great fun but for most trail centres a hardtail is possibly more appropriate…

…unless your local trail centre is Cannock where the breaking bumps will shatter your spine on a hard tail 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

I can’t seem to find a Transition Bandit 26 anywhere for sale on the Googles. Are they new or discontinued?

The Trance 27.5 as suggested is a great bike – I rode it for a day in NZ earlier this year and it was awesome. But in order to get some decent suspension you’re at change of £2k.
    OP if you want a 26 Bandit you’ll have to find a used one, new ones are 27.5. Also based on your comment on Trance pricing you are going to struggle budget wise, I think a Bandit is £1,200-ish frame only

Trance would be a good bike for your needs. TBH there are so many options as what you are looking for is probably the biggest section of the market.

plyphon
    Free Member

Yeah I’d like to keep it around 1.5k which is why the Canyon Nerve/Spectral & Bird is tempting.

I hear what people are saying with the 456C already being what I’m after, but I’d like to go full suss.

I might wait and check the Bird’s out when they drop, and then maybe look for a Demo day of the Canyon Spectral. Perhaps a bit too much bike there than i’m after.

dunmail
    Free Member

grum – define light. I’ve seen some of the carbon Whyte hardtails which are definitely light, almost road bike light, but they cost over £3000, something like a Solaris modestly specced is between 12.5kg and 13Kg and about a grand cheaper.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you tried a modern 29er?

I’m not pushing them particularly, but you might be surprised how they actually ride. Many of the cliches are not hugely relevant IME.

The 29er Spectral could be spot on for you.

plyphon
    Free Member

I have ridden a small selection of 29ers and they’re just not what tickles me. They ride fine, but just doesn’t entertain me. No real reason I guess.

Interestingly, the Spectral comes with the 150mm forks spaced down to 140mm to match the rear. That could be a winner!

chakaping
    Free Member

Fair enough, it’s a mixture of personal preference and the terrain involved I think.

If I would want smaller wheels anywhere, I think it’d be on the tight, twisty southern woodland trails rather than the rockier northen stuff I ride now.

Euro
    Free Member

Just skimmed through but a full sus for trail centre red runs??????????????????????????????????????

Get yourself some 120mm forks for the 456C……………………

plyphon
    Free Member

Yes no thank you Rocky IV

Euro
    Free Member

^^ I think i caught a glimpse of that as it flew over my head 😀

Mister-P
    Free Member

For me personally it’s all about the 650B 120mm full sus at the moment. This was a hoot at Afan and Bike Park Wales. It’s off to Penmachno and Betws y Coed this weekend.

vondally
    Free Member

actually an old SC blur 4x sounds ideal really would love a 29er like that

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Don’t worry about to much travel on the canyon; it’s a light, efficient, stiff 150mm. For what it’s worth my xc allround bike is a 180/170mm reign and I never think it’s too slow/heavy on climbs.

colournoise

For years I’ve run burly hardtails as do-it-all bikes (130mm BFe being the most recent iteration).

Have just switched to an Alpine 160 26. Am based in the east anglian flatlands but ride all over from tail centres to Lakes/Peaks/Wales natural stuff.

So far the Alpine is more capable everywhere I’ve ridden over the BFe. Actually climbs better (very slightly heavier but finds more grip), descends WAY better, and is pretty comparable on the twisty stuff in our local woods.

Might well look like overkill to a lot of folks, but I know that it will handle pretty much anything I’ll ever be brave enough to ride.

I guess the moral (if there is one) is go for whatever you feel is right for you regardless of the numbers or any ‘rules’.

ceepers

As a couple of people above have alluded to, most trail centre reds are completely rideable on a capable hardtail, an xc focused full sus or an on trend #enduro bike. All three would climb the climbs and let you ride the descents

They all have different strengths and weaknesses but more importantly they will each FEEL different as they play to their strengths and therefore each will give a subtley different experience (& level of comfort) as a result.

I’ve got a 26″ soul and a 650b bandit. Everything locally is totally rideable and fun on the soul but some places are a quicker climb and a bigger rush back down at higher speed on the bandit. Either is a totally valid choice it depends what mood I’m in.

Bottom line. There isn’t a wrong choice. Buy somthing that gets you stoked to ride.

The Kili flyers look fun and there are done around on sale right now

Northwind

You’ll never get a single answer. My big full suss is overkill on paper for red routes but in practice, it’s a great laugh on most. But so is my long travel hardtail. Really there’s no one best answer, personal taste and style plays a huge part.

For the job you’re talking about, the C456 would be pretty ideal IMO (I mostly use a Ragley Ti, same sort of thing) If full suss, people say short travel but I never really found that, there’s so little drawback of getting alonger travel bike. Trek Remedy 29 for me I think.

skinnyboy
    Free Member

The answer is a Giant Trance.

Now go buy one

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Most reds are pretty smooth IMO and any bike will do. In fact sometimes suspension can make them a bit dull. I wouldn’t go bigger than 120.

I would say Giant Anthem

Paceman
    Free Member

Current ride is a On One 456C with 140mm.

I’d try this on a few bike adventures first and see how you get on. Many would argue you already have the UK standard.

Failing that, do some test rides of the bikes on your short list if possible. Many of the trail centres have demo days.

JCL
    Free Member

Camber Evo would be the only bike I would own if I lived in the UK again.

chakaping
    Free Member

That might depend where in the UK you lived of course.

Personally I’d go for something with a standard HT2 BB and standard shock mounts.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

There are so many bikes that would fit that bill. I’ve said on a different thread that you’re just as well choosing bikes based upon subjective reasons like aesthetics, brand preference, budget etc, than spending hours pouring over geometry dimensions, wheel size pro’s and con’s etc. there is not really a wrong choice. it’s difficult to pigeon hole bikes these days as the boarders between different bike types has blurred. You can get long travel slack angled burley bikes that can do XC well, and lighter, tighter short travel XC bikes that can take on bigger, knarlier terrain.

Also it makes a big difference if you intend to just ride these trails and get round, or looking for jumps or other technical stuff where longer travel and a burlier frame might be of benefit. I would say if the former go for a lighter, tighter traditional XC orientated bike, and if the latter a more All Mountain/Enduro orientated bike.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

JCL – Member

Probably my next choice, or an anthem 29er – annoying that the SX is in the silly wheel size – or trance – ditto.

But still would love a carbon epic but £4k on a bike?!?

ampthill

What’s the current “UK Standard” for red route trail centre type stuff?
    I’m not looking to do enduro/DH/black runs. Just something I can roll up with and be confident in the bike.

Been looking at the Canyon Nerve series for example
    https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3572

120mm travel and a 69.5 head angle – is this a bit on the XC side these days?

On a point of clarification

Isn’t a red route at a trail center XC riding?

(I’m not pigeon holing the bike that you use to ride a red at trail center just checking on the words we use describe different types of rising)

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Yep

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Isn’t a red route at a trail center XC riding?

The reds and double reds at FOD are a bit more than XC. When I was there I was the only one with an XC lid and not in proper body armour and had to think about some of the routes more than I would like – on my 120/100mm 26er turner flux and my basic skillset.

When I did the reds and blacks at CDB in 2010 I was fine as it was much less natural and rooty/droppy.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

low travel fs is better than a hard tail as you can pump the g-outs more – like a nice pair of carving skis.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

No, if it’s not downhill it’s xc. That’s how old I am! 🙂

ampthill

[url=https://flic.kr/p/cPPm3C]london 2012-36[/url] by John Clinch, on Flickr

Reds are harder than this? (to be honest this wasn’t the hard bit just where I was stood)

I could pump my Hard tail better than my Fuel ex.

But I’m rubbish

Northwind

Reds are harder than this?

Some are, from the looks of it. But then those guys look quite good at bikes. Most people buy outright XC bikes for tamer stuff, personally I’d not choose a racy bike for the average trailcentre- it’d be fast but not necessarily all that fun.

deanfbm
    Free Member

ceepers has some pretty reasonable logic there.

Im in a real good place with my mega TR (130R, 140F, 26″, slackened to 66.5 HA massively low bb built light enough (29lb) and tough enough), i’ve no excuses for being slow on the way up or down, i’ve no excuse for not making it that long, steep climb just as i’ve no excuse for not riding full on DH tracks at a reasonable pace and hitting all the gaps either. I’ve also no excuse for not sprinting flat out on the flatter, undulating stuff either.

That is my interpretation for a bike that is an all round UK bike. Any more travel/weight, it climbs, but isn’t a delight, removes nearly all opportunity of properly attacking flatter stuff. Much less travel and weight, things start to break on the proper DH stuff and robs a bit of confidence.

If you’ve bags of money, look at a santa cruz 5010, little less money, a mega TR or a whyte T130.

A 29er gives you more efficiency, does feel a little different, can be more flexy if you’re pushing it, does feel a little higher (comfy). The grip you get with a 29er means you can run slicker tyres and get even more rolling efficiency whilst having the same grip, thats the biggest advantage to me by far, something like a fuel ex 29 or a whyte T129 would be ideal.

I did the whole pedaling around a 150mm+ bike, screw that for a laugh ever again, just robbed too much of the fun too much of the time. Also bear in mind 150mm+ bikes are really meant to be DH bikes you can put up with pedalling back to the top of a hill, despite what 99% of people use them for.

ryderredman
    Free Member

Must admit I’ve been in the camp for a do it aller. Currently have two bikes in the fold, my YT Tues and my Cotic BFe. The Tues handles DH days and the BFe does anything else.

I’ve been thinking of getting an Enduro 29 for the everything factor, but then I think about how monster trucky and floaty the DH bike is. With 29er wheels and 160mm travel I don’t believe it’ll feel any less plush…

Essentially all I can think of is get yourself a demo day at a local spot and see how it goes on a few different bikes. I want something more capable than my BFe but the lesser travel bikes they’re churning out at the moment look way too flimsy for what I want it for!

ryderredman
    Free Member

Must admit I’ve been in the camp for a do it aller. Currently have two bikes in the fold, my YT Tues and my Cotic BFe. The Tues handles DH days and the BFe does anything else.

I’ve been thinking of getting an Enduro 29 for the everything factor, but then I think about how monster trucky and floaty the DH bike is. With 29er wheels and 160mm travel I don’t believe it’ll feel any less plush…

Essentially all I can think of is get yourself a demo day at a local spot and see how it goes on a few different bikes. I want something more capable than my BFe but the lesser travel bikes they’re churning out at the moment look way too flimsy for what I want it for!

wrecker
    Free Member

Probably my next choice

Don’t bother. They’re shit. Properly shit.
    The old “overbiked” rationale is a bit outdated for the most part. 160mm bikes aren’t bad pedallers like they once were.
    That said, I’m happy with a 140mm bike, it does have 160mm forks but that’s more for the angles than the travel.
    I still reckon that the giant trance is the ticket, it’s a million times the bike that the camber will ever be, in fact the camber is the only mountain bike that I’ve ever ridden that I’ve hated. Really hated to the point that I could not wait to get off the thing and stopped mid way down a descent to get rid of it. Steep, twitchy bag of shite. Horrible thing.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Crikey, wrecker that’s categorical. I demoed the evo last year and liked it. Loved the Trance 29er too but fed up that this went 27.5

wrecker
    Free Member

Thm, I thought it a poor bike in all categories. 650 is just another wheelsize. It ain’t going anywhere and in terms of industry enforcement is no worse than 29.

vondally
    Free Member

It is all about…
    The angles
    The quality of the suspension

Had 100MM travel full suss operating better than 160mm rear travel

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

What type of riding do you do wrecker?

Having tested 26 v 29 my mind is/was made up. I have no interest in re-opening wheel sizes again.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘UK "All round" full suss standard.’ is closed to new replies.