Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • UK 1:25,000 for £150. Anything similar/better?
  • UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Whole of the UK in 1:25k for £150. Can this price be beaten? Mapyx doing a deal that ends soon, just wondering if there are other options for such a good price.

Drac

The OS are offering huge discounts so sellers are carrying the same offers, most are priced around that.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Are there other ones priced that low? The usual suspects seem to be coming in round the £250 mark. £150 seems especially low.

aracer
    Free Member

Most are approximately twice that, Drac.

CountZero

Sounds pretty good, when I bought Viewranger for my Nokia N95, which must be all of seven or eight years ago, it cost me £150 with the whole UK on a DVD, so I would say £150 for the same at 1:25k is a bit of a bargain.

scuttler

Is there a catch here? Is it likely that in the future the version of maps won’t be compatible with the version of the map viewer and the maps become digitally obsolete (I still navigate around the UK with yellow Outdoor Leisure maps) or are the mapping software vendors pretty good at backwards compatibility?

aracer
    Free Member

I’m still using the original Anquet version 1 maps from ~10 years ago. They don’t work with the newer software, but they still work just fine as maps, so it depends how you define obsolete.

IIRC I paid ~£200 for the whole of the UK at 1:50k!

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Scuttler, its a good point, but I think it can be applied to any digital mapping. My guess, is that in a few years (say 5), owning this sort of thing will be very old school. Everything will become sold as a service, like the current OS getamap idea. Its not quite there yet though, so I’m hoping £150 worth of map will carry me through till then…

bajsyckel

A few days ago I started this thread, prompted by the recent price changes. The main things stopping me asking santa for it is that (1) I don’t have a GPS to use it on and it only works on a couple of systems out there (2) I don’t think mapyx offer any support for android type hacks, and (3) you can play around/plot routes at the 1:25000 online on walkhighland for free, I’m not sure exactly what your 1:25000 map “ownership” gets you. Like you, I can’t see the current digital mapping approach lasting for much longer.

Edit- just realised you’re already on that thread. Price still tempting though.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Garmin seem to be slow off the mark on this one. Their pricing hasn’t yet incorporated the OS price reductions. Even when they do, they’re never usually the cheapest.

Drac

Are they?

Sure I seen others with the same offer which means they’ve stopped or I was thinking of Mapyx.

highclimber
    Free Member

£150 for the whole UK 1:25k is a good deal when you look at how much it would cost you to buy individual tiles for the same area!
    If you have any questions, email them or check out their forum as the developers often respond to posts.

footflaps

Do they get updated much? I’ve got the complete 2006 set for Memory Map.

scuttler

From my own perspective (I’m old school navigation) I’d use digital mapping for planning and print-outs at an appropriate scale that makes the map portable (e.g. double sided A4 inside a plastic wallet). I haven’t got a GPS for countryside navigation but agree that the service-based approach will pervade. Given my use-case and the alternative of dropping cash on paper maps, would it suit me?

My friend’s friend currently achieves this by using Bing maps, rotating the screen and scaling the browser to fit the required route followed by judicious use of print screen but I’m sure he’d not object to paying royalties at the right price for the appropriate solution that clearly owning the full set of paper maps can’t readily provide.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘UK 1:25,000 for £150. Anything similar/better?’ is closed to new replies.