Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tyres question… sorry!
  • amedias
    Free Member

Sorry in advance for another rubber related request….

I’ve been running tubeless on and off for about 3-4 years now. I prefer the feel of tubeless, and although I don’t often get penetration punctures it’s nice to have the sealing capabilities, but I am having repeated problems with pinch flatting tubeless tryes and putting holes in the sidewall right at the bead so they wont seal, it doesn’t happen that often but when it does it’s really annoying as I have to bung a tube in.

So to answer to obvious barrage of questions that are coming….

I ride both full sus and hardtail, I only have probs when riding bigger rocky stuff on my bigger bike, which is obvious as I’m riding them harder and in rockier places.

I have tried and pinch-flatted the following:

Conti Vertical 2.3 UST
    Maxxis Advantage 2.25 UST
    Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 UST
    Maxxis Larson 2.3 UST
    Bontrager XR2 2.1
    Bontrager Mud X 2.1
    Bontrager XDX 1.9 (not surprised at this one)

have also tried and been annoyed by:

Maxxis advantage 2.4 – too big
    Maxxis Minion R – too draggy
    Bontrager FR4 2.4 – waaay too big and draggy
    IRC Kujo – too heavy and a bit underwhelming
    Intense DH tyre of insane heavyness
    Schwalbe Fat albert 2.35 – too flimsy and light
    Schwalbe Space 2.35 – too flimsy and casing disintegrated
    Panaracer Fire XC pro 2.1 – no UST version but was OK if a bit average grip wise

I generally run between 35psi and 45psi depending on the size of tyre, I used to run them about 30 but tried upping to stop this happening so much but they tend to start feeling a bit rubbish > 40psi, so not looking to just put more air in to solve the problem.

Have been running them on Mavic 819s, Mavic 521s (rim-stripped), and Sun singletracks.

I weigh 79Kg, a smidgen more if out for a whole day and carrying spare clothing etc.

I’ve been looking around trying to find a suitable tubeless tyre with slightly beefier sidewalls, but the problem is I don’t want a massive tyre, 2.3 is about as big as I want to go. Most of the thicker sidewalled tyres I have found are either massive, or dual ply monsters that weigh a ton. I just don’t want or need such a large tyre on the rear, and I quite like a faster rolling tread on the rear with a nice grippy knobbler at the front.

99% of the time I’m pretty smooth, I’m just looking for something that has that little bit of extra protection for when I’m knackered or riding like a d1ck.

I can find small and light, big and light, big and strong, but struggling with small and strong so can anyone recommend me a not too draggy, smaller sized (2.1 – 2.3), tubeless (or easily tubelessable) tyre in the 600 – 800g range but with enough sidewall protection to shrug off the occasional heavy landing or big rock wallop?

Are the armadillo spesh tyres any stronger?

(double apologies for being seemingly impossible to please)

tomhoward

DMR moto/moto digger?
    High Rollers?
    Maxxis lopes bling bling (if you can find any)
    moononastick 2.25’s 😉

amedias
    Free Member

and where might I get hold of some of the moononastick 2.25s?
    would be better if they came in 2.23 though…. 🙂

Not actually looked at High Rollers, is the casing more robust than Ignitors or Advantages?
    Same question for the Lopes…

Sandwich

If you ran Conti-Verts at 35 psi it’s no wonder they flatted. The recommended pressure for these is 45psi. This may be the problem with all your tyres, the manufacturer does all the faffing for you.

For example I ran Conti Vert pros at 45psi through all sorts of rock gardens, never flatted and I can give you 11kg!

amedias
    Free Member

For example I ran Conti Vert pros at 45psi through all sorts of rock gardens, never flatted and I can give you 11kg!

(tongue in cheek) maybe you weren’t going that fast 🙂 from my experience verticals pinch flat if you sneeze near them, even when running > 45psi

were you using UST verticals? normal Verticals I do run harder but the UST ones should be able to cope with 35, but if you see what I wrote I said I run between 35 and 45 depending on size, verts come up small for a 2.3 and I generally run them at the harder end. Plenty of other tyres on my list too that should be able to cope with sub 40psi pressures….

mboy
    Free Member

Having read through your list of tyres tried (and I’ve tried most of them too), I don’t think you’d be disappointed with a 2.2″ UST Rubber Queen. Sure, they’re bloody expensive, but the case is thick enough to offer that bit more protection without being proper dual ply thick and heavy. Oh, and they grip too…

Another option that I’ve not tried, but would be keen to, is some of the newer Michelin Wildgrip’r/Wildrock’r ranges. Michelin tyres have always had thicker (and usefully less porous so usually even their non UST tyres work well in a tubeless setup) casings, and they’re hard to damage. If it’s for the rear for summer use, try the silly cheap (£11.99 ATM) 2.3″ Michelin Dry2 that On One are selling. These are 750g each, work brilliantly tubeless, the casing is nice and thick but not too thick, the rubber is a good compound, and they grip like shit to a blanket for about 6 months of the UK year. Absolute total rubbish in the winter, but sling em on in April and take em off in October and you’ll love em (on the back at least).

amedias
    Free Member

thanks for that mboy, I’ve actually got a pair of 2.0 XC drys (original) and 2.0 XC dry 2s in the loft that you’ve just reminded me about, but from memory the casing on them is not that thick, maybe the 2.3 is thicker….

I am a bit put off by the price of the RQ, and not really willing to take a punt…

I did think about using a ghetto style cut inner tube overlapping the edge of the rim (but with a tubeless tyre as well) to offer a bit of extra protection, but not sure if it would work in the way I expect…

djflexure

I found high roller UST to be a decent rear tyre and have not holed it in 18 months – occasional riding in France, Peaks, Lakes. Previously had the same problem as you with UST rubber queen – lasted 10 minutes in the Lakes. Holed another ust rq before that – also in the sidewall.
    UST ignitors seem fairly substantial to me – so if you’ve holed them chances are you might do the same to another tyre. I’ve run a front 2.35 on my xc bike for a couple of years without problems. All run at high 20s.

mboy
    Free Member

The 2.3″ Dry2’s have a MUCH thicker casing, and a softer rubber compound. They’re heavier yes, but like I said, grip like poo to the blanket, and roll really quickly, yet are also very hardy.

4.5 out of 5 review on Bikerader Vs 2 out of 5 review for the 2″ version… For £12 a tyre they’re a steal!

Oh, and as for Rubber Queens, you’re right not to want to pay £50 a tyre… That’s just silly. I picked up a pair of lightly used UST RQ’s last year for £50 posted for the pair, they do pop up occasionally and are worth a punt if you can find some in good nick 2nd hand. If you don’t like them, you won’t lose any money at least selling them on.

tyres

Yes, you called?

XXX
    Free Member

for puncture next to the bead try using on of the motor x tubless worms. had plenty of puntures in the same place but never had one fail.

tomhoward

Re the HRs they’re pretty robust in dual ply flavour, I used the 2.35s on the back of a DH bike and roll pretty well in 60a compound, or grip like sh!t to carpet in 42a.

The lopes are a pretty similar to minion fronts (tried them?) but with lower profile centre blocks, a cross between semi slicks and full treads so roll a bit better 42a only iirc

amedias
    Free Member

try using on of the motor x tubless worms

are they those tyre plug thingys?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tyres question… sorry!’ is closed to new replies.