• This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by anc.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tyres for Lake District trails
  • neninja
    Free Member

Heading over to the Lakes this weekend – doing Whinlatter, Borrowdale Bash, Black Sail and Skiddaw

I usually run Nobby Nic Evo 2.25 front and Racing Ralph Evo 2.1 rear on a 100mm travel FS but have heard that the rocky trails on the natural routes can be pretty hard on sidewalls over in the Lakes. I've not had any issues over my way – Yorkshire Dales/N York Moors but don't want to get plagued by sidewall problems.

Any advice on tyres suited to those trails would be appreciated.

grumm
    Free Member

Looks like there might be a bit of rain this weekend and wet slate can be pretty slippy – I ride mostly in the Lakes and prefer something a bit beefier/grippier personally (but then I also weigh plenty). I'm using Bontrager Big Earl wet compound at the mo – pretty good.

anc
    Free Member

Depends how hard you ride really, the NN and RR have lightweight carcases if you rode here all the time they wouldn't last long at all. Seen a lot of ripped sidewalls on NN and similar. My tyre of choice at the mo is the Fat Albert 2.4 UST. Mates just ditched a nearly new Highroller 2.35 Lust, as that was ripping every time we went out, so they're a little too lightweight IMO. That said the trails are super fast and grippy at the moment so that obviously means the tyres get a harder time.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I ride 2.35 Nevagals front and rear. Mate has Fat Alberts and they're fine. High Rollers are good, but maybe go for dual ply. I'd ride nothing less than 2.1, and make sure you put a bit more pressure in, or you'll be pinch flatting every 5 mins. Around 40 psi is good.

neninja
    Free Member

Not the hardest rider tend to try to keep smooth with riding a lightweight XC frame. Still let rip on descents but try to pick a bike friendly line.

Cheers for both responses, I was thinking of Fat Alberts but not sure if the 2.4 would fit in my frame – Giant Anthem X – would have to stick with 2.25

I run tubeless with Stans rims so pinch flats shouldn't be an issue

alexxx
    Free Member

I live in the lakes and have never had a problem with duel ply high rollers

lakesrider
    Free Member

most tyres with decent sidewalls will be ok. I've used cont verticals, high rollers, spec purgatorys (i know quite a few people riding with these as well) and Spec fast traks (in the summer) with no problems, all tubeless. Only ones i had problems with were some Mud-x ones where they seemed to get cut up by the slate quite easily.

Saintly
    Free Member

Nobby Nic front and Larsen TT here, Whinlatter and Skiddaw are regular routes of mine.

neninja
    Free Member

Thanks – I might risk the NN/RaR then but take a couple of spare tyres with me in case.

Do Keswick Bikes have a decent selection of tyres in if an emergency purchase is required?

anc
    Free Member

The 2.4 Albert is a big tyre it only just clears the rear end of my epiphany.

anc
    Free Member

Yes KMB have lots of tyres in stock. Maxxis etc

tragically1969
    Free Member

Is this not a bit of a non issue ?

I have ridden in the Lakes for something like 15 years and never damaged a sidewall yet…must be just lucky i guess ?

anc
    Free Member

Or smooth style 😉 or slow 😛 Tehehe

neninja
    Free Member

Is this not a bit of a non issue ?

I have ridden in the Lakes for something like 15 years and never damaged a sidewall yet…must be just lucky i guess ?

That's why I wanted to get some idea from locals like yourself.

I read people stating that certain tyres are too fragile etc and I just wanted to see what people think.

Yes KMB have lots of tyres in stock. Maxxis etc

Perfect – thanks

anc
    Free Member

Blacksail has some big hits at the top in the steep section. Skiddaw is laced with sharp slate especially if you're going off the front to Ullock. Borrowdale Bash…..well the name says it all dunnit! Its definately not a non issue but as said it depends how you ride. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for Lake District trails’ is closed to new replies.