Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Tyre pressures and falling off. Lots.
  • martinhutch

This should give you a laugh on a drab Friday. 🙂

Recently decided to get all accurate about tyre pressures as opposed to just casually glancing at the gauge on my cheap track pump. Running 26″ tubeless with 22 front, 26 rear, which apparently is appropriate for my weight.

Have now managed a couple of bizarre slow speed falls on my last two rides on local stuff that didn’t even register as a potential problem before. On both occasions the front wheel has ‘stalled’ on a very minor rut or rock, sending me merrily OTB. I’m baffled…and sore.

Can running lower pressures at the front make this more likely, or am I just shite? Feel free to offer abuse.

njee20
    Free Member

What were you running before?

martinhutch

Well, this is it – this is the first time I’ve stuck a gauge on. I was aiming for roughly the same with the track pump, but it is likely it was a bit more – maybe 25-28 perhaps?

Seems like a relatively small difference in pressure to me, but either the handling has changed or I’m doing something radically different technique-wise. Or it’s just weird luck.

hooli

Sorry to make things even worse but it is a drab Thursday, not Friday 😆

oliverracing

I switched from some bonty mud XRs which I used to run at about (24/27psi f/r), to a set of x-kings, upon trying to run them as low I found I was struggling, upon looking at the tyres I realised the x-kings have a softer carcass so benefited slightly higher pressures (27f 30r) to get the same feel.

GregMay
    Free Member

OK..not just me it is still Thursday.

martinhutch

Sorry to make things even worse but it is a drab Thursday, not Friday

🙂 Must have hit my head harder than I thought..

I switched from some bonty mud XRs which I used to run at about (24/27psi f/r), to a set of x-kings, upon trying to run them as low I found I was struggling, upon looking at the tyres I realised the x-kings have a softer carcass so benefited slightly higher pressures (27f 30r) to get the same feel.

This is what I was wondering, whether even a couple of PSI lower can make them deform more when they hit smallish obstacles or drops at low speed, causing the stall. Alternatively I may have got lazy and stopped lifting the front end enough.

wwaswas

Simple solution seems to be to keep putting air in until;

a) you stop stalling on silly slow stuff

b) the tyres explode in a cloud of sealant and rubber debris

or

c) you decide tyre pressure had nothing to do with it and go back to what you started with.

AlexSimon

Doubt it’s the tyre pressures.
    If anything, the more deformation would help it roll over obstacles.

Either your forks are diving, or you just switched off at the wrong moment.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Go faster?

oldnpastit

Can running lower pressures at the front make this more likely

The lower pressure means that there is less air in the tyres. Less air means less weight, so your wheels are now lighter. And obviously this is rotating mass.

So your wheels now have less momentum to carry you over obstacles, and hence your problem, especially at low speeds.

The solution is simple. You need to make the wheels heavier again. I recommend adding more spokey-dokeys until you stop falling off.

nedrapier

You’re just riding differently, concentrating on different things to see if you can tell the difference. You might even have been looking at your tyre to see how much it was deforming over the bumps?

Leave them be, go ride, look up the trail, all of that good stuff. If you don’t notice your tyres, that’s good. If they start doing things that make you notice them – rolling over in the corners, rims clattering roots and rocks, put some more air in.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Slow speed stalls are nothing to do with tyre pressure. It’s all to do with your reflexive brake finger. Death grip through rock gardens for the win.

dang100
    Free Member

I find that quite small nominal changes in pressure can make a noticeable difference to how the bike rides. The difference between 22psi and 25psi is 13% after all.

That said, I’d expect there to be differences in grip and / or rolling resistance but would be surprised if you’d actually stall as a result.

Maybe there’s an indirect relationship. I find with higher pressures the bike is a bit more skittish which, in turn, makes me a bit more nervous and as a result a bit more crap. So ultimately – in my case at least – it’s user error inspired by a slightly different set-up.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Are these 2.35 tyres? I don’t use tubeless but put 45psi in my 2.1’s. is that wrong?

AlexSimon

Rockape63 – Member

Are these 2.35 tyres? I don’t use tubeless but put 45psi in my 2.1’s. is that wrong?
    Depends if you weigh tons or have lots of pinch flats.
    I personally run at the lowest I can get away with – I get the odd flat – maybe 5 a year, and I’m ok with that.
    I’m not sure I ride with anyone running more than 35psi though.

wwaswas

put 45psi in my 2.1’s

that’s quite high.

Most people run 30-35 tubed and a bit less tubeless.

try it for a couple of rides and see how you get on.

D0NK

Tyre pressure is a massive compromise between control, rolling resistance and punctures, generally lower tyre pressures are a good thing until you go so low that either the tyres rolls when cornering or you get pinch flats. A couple of psi lower can sometimes make a noticeable difference when you are close to the sweet spot.

My guess would be something else is the cause of you crashing.

plyphon
    Free Member

You probably subconsciously considered yourself invincible and the ambassador of gnar now you know exactly how much PSI is in your tubeless tyres which provides you with exact amounts of limitless grip and control – so you were leaning forward in an aggressive attack position in anticipation of that fire road coming alive, which shifted your weight forward and made you fall off.

kimbers

I find that below 24 psi the tyre can squirm about a bit, thats with 1.5 ply exo casing and im 90kg
    so thats as low as I go

martinhutch

My guess would be something else is the cause of you crashing.

This is obviously the wrong answer, so I will now have a massive strop. 🙂

Sadly, I can’t even blame my itchy brake finger. These were on the flat!

Perhaps I need some nice 650b wheels to help roll over these tiny massive rocks.

You probably subconsciously considered yourself invincible and the ambassador of gnar.

I ride in the Dales. The very capital of gnarr.

ahwiles
    Free Member

maybe, lower pressures meant you were ‘riding’ lower? – subtly altering the all-important angle of attack…

(i guess it’s possible)

pedalpusher
    Free Member

Simple. Empty tyres of all air, refill with helium. Problem solved. 🙂

Cheezpleez

26in wheels? Come on! 🙄

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Tyre pressures and falling off. Lots.’ is closed to new replies.