Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone allergic to oats? If so, do you know of a decent porridge substitute?
  • d45yth
    Free Member

As above really. I end up itching like mad after eating anything with oats in. I’ve only recently found out that’s what was causing it, after changing/cutting out all kinds of foods and washing products.

My main problem is that I used to always have porridge when bikepacking, so I’m now stumped as what to have instead. Whatever I need, it has to be easy to carry and prepare. Someone suggested some type of breakfast cereal with powdered milk…I can’t stand the milk though, unless some is better than other brands?

xcube
    Free Member

Rice flake porridge. Not sure how quickly it cooks or tastes, but worth a go.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006ZZ349S?pc_redir=1403990738&robot_redir=1

Sure you’ll get it cheaper or even just riceflakes might work?

DougD

pudding rice?

Dolcered

Millet flakes? Used this as oats substitute, made into porridge with rice milk.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buy-Whole-Foods-Online-Ltd/dp/B00581KRJA

thehustler
    Free Member

weetabix and hot milk sooo much better than porridge

d45yth
    Free Member

Xcube, I’ll look into that stuff and see if I can come up with my own instant version. It’ll depend how long it takes to cook though.

DougD, do you mean tins of creamed rice pudding or the rice that it’s made from? If the former, I suppose I could use a tin when out for night. Past that though, it would be too heavy, as I don’t like to carry ‘wet’ food.

Dolcered, I’ll look in to that too.

Hustler, maybe I could do something like that, especially if I add something to make the milk more palatable (I won’t be carrying fresh milk about).

Thanks for all replies so far. I can see a trip to my local health food shop is in order. The hot weetabix could be a winner for how quick it will be to make too, maybe some syrup will liven it up.

DougD

The rice that it’s made from. Some sort of short grain rice should work and you can carry that fine. Hot weetabix sounds good, though I’d end up eating dozens of the things. Pudding rice is potentially more space efficient

jag61

Mrs G uses some ready mixed in a pot Gluten free from asda just add hot water. No idea if it contains oats or not.. none in house at mo. Rice cakes?

d45yth
    Free Member

I’ll do a few taste tests and see what’s going to be best.

Jag, I wish I could get something in those instant pots – it’s the Quaker Golden Syrup ones that I used to use, but emptied into my own fold flat bags. The thing is, even if they were gluten-free, it can’t be that what I’m allergic to, as I eat all kinds of bread with no problems.

cinnamon_girl

Is it the gluten that affects you?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Semolina with apricot jam.

tomd
    Free Member

Buckwheat makes good porridge,it has a good nutty flavour. It’s common in other countries.

samuri
    Free Member

Alternative to Porridge?

I’ve been eating porridge at work instead of bacon butties to save money but I’d be kidding myself if I said it was a suitable alternative to a proper breakfast.

xcube
    Free Member

Oat allergies aren’t uncommon, but it could be a reaction to a skin product with oats in. Hadn’t thought about that

http://allergysymptomsx.com/oat-allergy.php

Might be worth getting some tests done to find out if it is actually the oats, or it could be an additive in those porridge sachets.

d45yth
    Free Member

That Perkier stuff looks nice. I’ll look at the other options too…except the bacon sarnie! 😀

CG, it can’t be gluten, as I each plenty of other grains, flour, etc.

Xcube, it’s definitely when I eat it. It’s took me more than a year to narrow it down…mainly because I was eating so many oat based products. I started having porridge every morning when I was out of work, then with the cereal bars and oat cakes when on my bike, it must have triggered a reaction.

I can be fine all day after eating some, but as soon as I start to sweat is when the itching starts (usually when I’m in bed). It becomes so bad, that I can’t sleep and have scratched myself badly enough to leave raw skin!

Now I don’t eat oats I’m fine. Even a small biscuit will trigger it now though, and I’d eaten oat products all my life without anything happening before?!

Edit – I do start to itch sooner after having instant porridge, but I think that’s just because the oats is ground finer than the ordinary stuff.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone allergic to oats? If so, do you know of a decent porridge substitute?’ is closed to new replies.